Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 352 Likes Search this Thread
09-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #1366
Pentaxian

Let's add a small detail: "the camera on the left" is actually two cameras of different brands. Front (Canon) and back (Nikon), they're so similarly styled that it's easy to miss this.

09-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #1367
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I hope we all have the - well I was going to write slang for male appendages, but I'll just say courage - to come back to these threads in a year and 'own' our posts.

What happened to your 'come september this place will be jumping' 'they have a plan be patient' and other various messages in your sig?

I'm looking forward to the next product announcements.. mostly so we can get 92+ page threads on them too..
09-02-2014, 12:52 PM   #1368
Pentaxian

Isn't it jumping for several days already?
09-02-2014, 01:02 PM   #1369
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I agree that in comparison to the Canon, the K-S1 looks very good - and that blue color isn't really the best one for it. I'd love to see a comparison with the white one.

But I thought I was the only one who thought so. I think it will do alright.
Completely agreed.

09-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #1370
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope we all have the - well I was going to write slang for male appendages, but I'll just say courage - to come back to these threads in a year and 'own' our posts.
That's why I'm just reading and not posting here ... hope that it will be a success despite my reservations.
09-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #1371
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
What happened to your 'come september this place will be jumping' 'they have a plan be patient' and other various messages in your sig?

I'm looking forward to the next product announcements.. mostly so we can get 92+ page threads on them too..
Either way it is going to be jumpin and I may have been optimistic about how much Forum members would like the plan.

And tablets are fine for my business uses - I use one for business to interact with clients. I actually accept contract signatures digitally now with a stylus (you might all laugh but that's a very big deal in my business). I scan bar Codes and QR Codes and read all my email on either.I Skype and take Facetimes.

I just don't use the cameras for photographs. I don't have a Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Vines or Twitter account at all.
09-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #1372
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Let's add a small detail: "the camera on the left" is actually two cameras of different brands. Front (Canon) and back (Nikon), they're so similarly styled that it's easy to miss this.
Lol I didn't even notice that!

I recently asked a non-photographer about what they thought about a black K-S1 next to a black K-3. Their answer was the K-S1 looks more "contemporary", and the K-3 looks more "boxy" and "traditional." If Ricoh/Pentax is trying to design a camera that sticks out from the bunch, I'd say this one does that even without the different colorways.

09-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #1373
mee
Veteran Member

Isn't it jumping for several days already?
No more than typical.

---------- Post added 09-02-14 at 03:40 PM ----------

Either way it is going to be jumpin and I may have been optimistic about how much Forum members would like the plan.
No more than typical though. I think making pronouncements on future events is playing with fire haha
09-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #1374
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So that's what a 'Canikon' camera looks like! I keep hearing about them, but I've never seen one. Do diehard Canon shooters tape over the 'Nikon' on the back?
09-02-2014, 02:37 PM - 2 Likes   #1375
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
So that's what a 'Canikon' camera looks like! I keep hearing about them, but I've never seen one. Do diehard Canon shooters tape over the 'Nikon' on the back?
Haven't you ever seen the, "Why I won't buy a 5D Mk II" mega-thread on the Canon Forums?
09-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #1376
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Haven't you ever seen the, "Why I won't buy a 5D Mk II" mega-thread on the Canon Forums?
I stumbled across it once, but all they ever really talked about was cheese and bacon...
09-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #1377
Veteran Member

IchabodCrane:
On the last page. And yeah, it's not "hoping" but "there's just no way around it"... if that matters
A highly subjective piece of opinion is just that; one can simply state he/she doesn't like the design (even finding it ugly), but claims that they won't sell 1000 pcs, or that Pentax can't "get they sh*t straight", that you will leave Pentax because of it, and that it's the ugliest camera ever made? That's way beyond stating a highly subjective piece of opinion, this is going way too far.

And just to give an example of what I think it's a suitable expressed opinion:

Agree, that was probably the most egregious post I've seen though I don't claim to have seen every one. Still, it's more of an over-the-top "Pentax is doomed" post than a Pentax death-wish, if that matters.
09-02-2014, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #1378
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yesterday I was in a Target store and actually saw a white K-50 amongst the Canons and Nikons, and it really stood out as being a little different and flashy. Now put that K-S1 in that lineup and it going to look awesome and eye catching. Yes, it would look a lot better with a silver of color matched 35/2.4, but it's going to look uniquely cool, let alone outperforming all of the other cameras there. Of course it's got to get on that shelf. If this does get on shelves it's going to add a lot of new Pentax users, otherwise it won't sell many in the US. The boxy angular shape of the K-S1 looks a little like the design of the 645Z underneath it all. I recall a lot of people on this forum as thinking the K-30 was really ugly too, but I think it did OK in sales..
09-02-2014, 08:03 PM   #1379
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I suspect that the target market for the K-S1 is people who actually use and appreciate smart phones and tablets.
I think - unfortunately - NO.
09-02-2014, 08:33 PM   #1380
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
She just bought her K-30 (red metallic), does that count?
Is that a rhetorical response to my rhetorical question?

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
To most of the world, "falling in love" with a blobby black camera is akin to falling in love with a wrench. Or a pair of pliers.
I <3 my turquoise-handled Channellocks.