Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 352 Likes Search this Thread
09-02-2014, 09:32 PM   #1381
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Is that a rhetorical response to my rhetorical question?
Absolutely, but only in a relative sense.

Steve

09-02-2014, 09:33 PM   #1382
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I <3 my turquoise-handled Channellocks.
Maybe I just haven't met the right pair of pliers...
09-02-2014, 09:50 PM - 1 Like   #1383
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I suspect that the target market for the K-S1 is people who actually use and appreciate smart phones and tablets.
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I think - unfortunately - NO.
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Yesterday I was in a Target store and actually saw a white K-50 amongst the Canons and Nikons
It appears that the Target market is for white K-50s.

Steve

(...Target is a discount store chain in the U.S. and Canada...)
09-02-2014, 09:57 PM   #1384
Pentaxian

Typing on asus7 tablet here & now

Many who require tip screens have not tried viewing the screen at 160° and seeing that it can work most of the time. I know it surprised me! I like the idea of one but its absence will not itself knock a camera off my list. Smaller and lighter is good for me in nearly every circumstance, connectivity not so much. I often feel too connected already...

Whew only 5 typos

09-02-2014, 10:35 PM   #1385
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve

The game of words?
09-03-2014, 01:05 AM - 2 Likes   #1386
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not hoping it won't sell. In fact I'm hoping I'm dead wrong. Pentax needs the sales, but I will be totally surprised if it does and I stand by that statement. It's a very strange looking camera. People aren't into buying as many cameras as it is, and they want people to accept that and embrace it? I just don't see the logic in that.

---------- Post added 09-03-14 at 04:17 AM ----------

Very interesting idea, very interesting indeed.

Steve

---------- Post added 09-02-14 at 11:20 AM ----------

Yep...you nailed it.

Steve

---------- Post added 09-02-14 at 11:22 AM ----------

The point is very well made, well made indeed

Steve

---------- Post added 09-02-14 at 11:25 AM ----------

She just bought her K-30 (red metallic), does that count?

Steve
Heck yeah it does! Grin. Narrow minded? ME? You're talking to a professional who defiantly shoots with a ruby red camera complete with matching ruby bling, on a black and white wicked witch of the east strap. I keep my gear in a ruby slippers/WWE striped bag combo and cheerfully bling my M43 cameras with flipping Swarovsky crystals. I'd say I'm WAY more open than most people around here to the idea of a non-black, non-traditionally designed camera. I just happen to think that some of the more recent cams like the K-01 and now this one are a bit chancy in terms of design and sales potential. The K-01 didn't exactly sell like crazy, though it did better than some initally thought it would once the price dropped a lot. Who knows? It could be a hit instead of a dud, but we'll just have to see, won't we?

This is Ruby, so far. I'm definitely not finished yet. This is not how I meant to do this, present Ruby by taking crappy pics in no light at 3 AM but whatever. :P I think I am going to have to work on the doodads. They're just not as good as the ones I used on my E-PL1. They keep falling off and rearranging themselves. I was having problems keeping them on just to take these few lousy pics.The self stick adhesive that came on them just isn't very good. I was trying not to use epoxy or glue on the K-30. I wanted to be able to remove it when and if I wished, but I think I'm going to have to try some or maybe at least put some bits of double stick tape under all of it.

I like the color of these despite the fact that they are just resin but I'm thinking I may just grab some more Swarovsky crystals in either Vitrail or Volcano and do it up properly. It's a very similar look only the quality is a lot better. Glass is so much nicer than resin. But this is how I want to do it. I want to bling mainly just on the buttons and a little on the top and then just do the lens caps. I originally was going to use the red snake strap and still might sometimes but that black and white one it's awesome, very Oz, and will be my main strap for it I think.

Note, I updated the caps just now to make them look a bit more ruby slipper-ish. I still have to clean them up a bit and seal them fully but essentially I'm done. I still have to figure out what to use to put the doodads on the buttons securely. I used Gorilla glue on the caps but that's not something I'd want on my camera buttons. It's not too great for this actually. I was less than impressed. It was supposed to dry clear but it dried white and somewhat puffy. Next time I'm going with the Gem Tac stuff instead...
Attached Images

Last edited by magkelly; 09-03-2014 at 03:51 AM.
09-03-2014, 02:58 AM   #1387
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
One of the Pentax Promos indicated that the new camera has excellent dynamic range. It will be interesting to see how the dynamic range on the K-S1 compares to the K5. If there is a marked improvement, then I think we will see a different side to this camera.
I don't expect any improvement on this compared to the K-01/K-30/K-50 so the K-5 Original will keep this spot. I do wonder how the 645Z will test.

09-03-2014, 03:10 AM   #1388
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Steve

(Inset High hat sound)
09-03-2014, 03:16 AM   #1389
Pentaxian

Excellent, magkelly !
09-03-2014, 03:26 AM   #1390
Banned

Anyone knows anything specific about the K-S1 AF system? Is it same as in K5-II (SAFOX 10) or is it a K-3 derivative (SAFOX 11 derivative)?
09-03-2014, 03:31 AM   #1391

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Anyone knows anything specific about the K-S1 AF system? Is it same as in K5-II (SAFOX 10) or is it a K-3 derivative (SAFOX 11 derivative)?
TTL: phase-matching autofocus, SAFOX IX i+, 11 point (9 cross type focus points in the center)
09-03-2014, 04:04 AM   #1392
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Excellent, magkelly !
Thanks, I didn't think anyone on here would like it. I admit I'm probably going overboard but 90% of my work is little kids who can and do immediately relate to Oz/Wicked themed anything and women who actually love the bling. People may likely forget my face, but they are not likely to forget an Oz themed business or a ruby shoes themed camera. I've already had several positive comments on the color of my K-30 and the whole Oz/Wicked strap and bag thing. I'm just adding a little bit of sparkle to that. I can't very well have an infamous ruby slippers camera sans some glitter and a few fancy gems...
09-03-2014, 04:16 AM   #1393
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ilfiniol Quote
TTL: phase-matching autofocus, SAFOX IX i+, 11 point (9 cross type focus points in the center)
So even with this new K-S1 they still "haven't got a chance" to scale down the K-3's AF into new generation bodies?
Hm, something tells me K-S1 is not the only news for the Photokina ...

Last edited by Uluru; 09-03-2014 at 04:32 AM.
09-03-2014, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #1394
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Thanks, I didn't think anyone on here would like it. I admit I'm probably going overboard but 90% of my work is little kids who can and do immediately relate to Oz/Wicked themed anything and women who actually love the bling. People may likely forget my face, but they are not likely to forget an Oz themed business or a ruby shoes themed camera. I've already had several positive comments on the color of my K-30 and the whole Oz/Wicked strap and bag thing. I'm just adding a little bit of sparkle to that. I can't very well have an infamous ruby slippers camera sans some glitter and a few fancy gems...
I don't get it. On one hand you're completely dismissing the K-S1, even stating they won't sell 1/20th of the first month's production, and on the other hand, you're doing... that.

So even with this new K-S1 they still "haven't got a chance" to scale down the K-3's AF into new generation bodies?
Perhaps the K-3's AF is reserved for higher end cameras (for now).
09-03-2014, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #1395
Veteran Member

Perhaps the K-S1 is Ricoh's response to scaling down the K3's tech into new-generation bodies and represents Ricoh's offer at the D5300 level? Their marketing materials send that message, The season of strange ducks is upon us. Take cover. Did you know that an Anatidaephobic is someone who has a morbid fear of being watched by a duck? I guess they are not the target market here, at least not the ones who are into selfies.

Anatidaephobia (gary-larson-original-cartoon)
by marlo!?, on Flickr

Last edited by mecrox; 09-03-2014 at 05:22 AM.