Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 352 Likes Search this Thread
09-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #1471
Veteran Member

I change my "IMGP" to something else. XX12 for 2012, XX13 for 2013, XX14 for 2014. XX can change per camera. Easy.

With the Lightroom metadata sorter, though, it's even easier. Though for some reason it didn't recognize the 18-135... perhaps I didn't have the right firmware on the K-5 at the time?

09-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #1472
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Truth there. Snapshots just seem to accumulate and never get managed. But with a serious workflow you shoot less, keep less and can actually find the ones you kept. I won't say I am back to film shooting rate, but instead of firing off 5 or 10 frames I stop, think and select the 2 or 3 shots I would actually like to keep.
Funny, I did the opposite. I mostly shoot film nowadays. 12 days in Ireland (including 'lost' ones for plane/buses etc.) and only 7 films (36 each of course).
To be honest I think the first one was already in the SuperA so 6.5 films.

I only used A50/1.7 and K30/2.8 (almost always), a couple Sigma 18/3.5 and a couple with M135/3.5.
But with my DSLR I shoot DA16-45 and 50-135 or 50-200 (depending on weigh/size issues).
Dunno why always prime on one, always zooms on the other. Just happens like that.
09-04-2014, 10:21 PM   #1473
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
poor ks1 can't even hold its own thread..
09-04-2014, 10:32 PM   #1474

K-S1 launch date postponed

The launch date of the K-S1 has been postponed from 19th to 26th this month.

????????????PENTAX K-S1? ???????????????RICOH IMAGING

Use Google or any other translation site.

09-04-2014, 11:19 PM   #1475
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Photokina

QuoteOriginally posted by Daikokuya Quote
The launch date of the K-S1 has been postponed from 19th to 26th this month.

????????????PENTAX K-S1? ???????????????RICOH IMAGING

Use Google or any other translation site.
That is strange Adobe was also doing something after Photokina. Don't believe all this, just some crazy communication thing or something is wrong with Photokina.
09-04-2014, 11:26 PM   #1476

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That is strange Adobe was also doing something after Photokina. Don't believe all this, just some crazy communication thing or something is wrong with Photokina.
It's official. They say it's due to a change in some attachments. I'm not sure how so.
09-05-2014, 02:18 AM   #1477
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
DC Watch has published a quick review.

Japanese
http://m.dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/pview/20140905_665412.html

Google translate into a kind of English.
Digital Camera Watch - PENTAX K-S1 you see in the picture

---------- Post added 09-05-14 at 06:58 PM ----------

The review focuses mainly on the use of the lights. A more detailed review is to follow. Some interesting points.
- The lights blink as a warning if you start up the camera without a memory card inserted.
- The control panel for the lights Is shown. There's a slider to change the brightness of the"body lights" I guess this means they are constantly on until you turn the brightness down to zero. There's a check box for "self timer" on/off. There's another check box for "remote control" on/off. I guess this refers to face detection, but I'm not sure.
- The menu screens for moire filter and diffraction correction are the same as the K-3.
- The writer generally seems to find the lights useful.

09-05-2014, 05:19 AM   #1478
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dang! Those menus are hard to read! No one will buy this camera!

'Remote control' could be like the blinking red LED on previous models when you set them for IR remote mode.
09-05-2014, 06:05 AM   #1479
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Dang! Those menus are hard to read! No one will buy this camera!

'Remote control' could be like the blinking red LED on previous models when you set them for IR remote mode.
I thought it was pretty well established by now that the front LED's replace the blinking red LED for all functions.

They also add a 'Multi-Face-Detection-Indicator' (up to 5 faces) function for IR Remote Shutter Release work that indicates how many faces in a scene are in focus. Apparently the camera will adjust Av, ISO and Sv accordingly until it can bring as many faces as possible into focus when AF Face Detection is enabled.

APPARENTLY: Camera on tripod - line up subjects (including self) - set release mode - press Remote - camera auto-focuses on faces (indicated), starts countdown timer (indicated bv sequential LED lighting) - releases shutter,

Maybe I have misunderstood the initial feature descriptions through all the other noise.
09-05-2014, 06:57 AM   #1480
Pentaxian

They could also introduce "smile detection" in K-S1 or even "smile shutter" where the camera waits to capture an image until it has detected a user defined number of smiles in the scene (1-5 smiles).
Then the LEDs can indicate how many smiles it has detected.

It could create some interesting images when trying to get the "smile shutter" to fire.
09-05-2014, 07:07 AM   #1481
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
(...and the BIG question: which K-S1 will look best with classic CZJ Zebras? )
Or the Takumar zebras.

Yes, that is an extremely important question!
09-05-2014, 07:23 AM   #1482
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
They could also introduce "smile detection" in K-S1 or even "smile shutter" where the camera waits to capture an image until it has detected a user defined number of smiles in the scene (1-5 smiles).
Then the LEDs can indicate how many smiles it has detected.

It could create some interesting images when trying to get the "smile shutter" to fire.
That's why the FF is taking so long - they have to perfect smile detection to make sure NO ONE around the camera looks like they are having fun, or else the camera disables itself. Because dSLRs aren't supposed to be fun.
09-05-2014, 08:09 AM   #1483
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
'Multi-Face-Detection-Indicator' (up to 5 faces)
If face detection works when focussing via the optical viewfinder, in addition to Live View focussing, that will be interesting indeed.
09-05-2014, 08:52 AM   #1484
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Face Detection Technology?

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If face detection works when focussing via the optical viewfinder, in addition to Live View focussing, that will be interesting indeed.
From Japan website (IMHO RIAC has placed more emphais on attracting brand new users. Japan says They want to appeal to a broader range of useers, from transition users to sophisticated, experienced photographers).
This standard-class model incorporates new elements that optimize digital taste, such as a progressive design and an innovative interface system, while providing outstanding imaging performance -- one that rivals even high-end models.

The PENTAX K-S1 is designed for users who have become familiar with taking photo through the use of their smartphones and tablet computers, but, because they are not totally satisfied with the image quality and features provided by those portable gadgets, have become interested in more serious photography. The K-S1 features a compact, progressive body design that overturns conventional concepts of digital SLR cameras, and an innovative Body Illumination interface system that facilitates intuitive camera operation. It also provides other outstanding features rivaling those of high-end models, including: the PENTAX-developed AA (anti-aliasing) filter simulator first installed on the PENTAX K-3 (launched in November 2013); an optical viewfinder with a glass pentaprism to provide approximately 100% field of view; an in-body shake reduction mechanism; and a top sensitivity of ISO 51200. These features combine to provide the exceptional digital imaging performance that will satisfy photographers of all levels -- from first-time SLR users to experienced photo enthusiasts.
Here's the LED text-box describption. It doesn not address any PDAF / CDAF distinction.
The Indicator Lamps use LED to display camera status. This use of light provides intuitive camera control. The design floats like a light display for a unique sense of presence.

Main switch
Green for still images, and red for movies
Grip
The 5 lights in a line display a countdown for Face Detection, Remote Control, and Self-timer.
Mode dial
The currently set mode appears in green. When shutter release is available, the OK button is lit in blue.
09-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #1485
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The 86000 segment RGB light meter from K-3 might have resolution enough to be used for face detection.
I don't think I've seen any specification on the light meter used in K-S1 yet.