Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #1516
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Hoopsontoast was replying to something I edited from my post - about spotting a different camera in the video at 28 seconds.
The reply popped up after I hit send on the edit.
The hazards of editing!

Steve

09-09-2014, 08:02 AM   #1517
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
That kittlens looks like it's soft through most of the range, but sharp at the extreme ends.
Pixel peeping shows what looks like a lot of linear moire ...
09-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #1518
Pentaxian

Focus peaking will make it just fine for my primes.. and great fun with the DA40
09-19-2014, 01:09 PM - 6 Likes   #1519
Pentaxian

Seeing the K-S1 at Photokina, few brief impressions:
- those folks at DPReview were smoking pot or something.
- the grip is not that bad and it's definitely not slippery (but covered in some rubber coating), though I can't comfortably hold the camera with one hand - due to its size and shape. Support the camera with the left as we're supposed to, and it works. But yeah, it's a bit of a step back. By the way, several of the competition's entry level models would instantly give me hand cramps...
- the new mode dial is very easy to use, if you grab it from both sides. You can switch it with one finger as well, not as easy but it works - no fingers were hurt during the process.
- the 4-way controller is a bit harder to use, because of the new mode dial. Surely, this camera is no K-3.
- there is no gap.
- the camera looks fine, I like the new design (color combinations are a matter of taste).
- turned off, the grip led strip looks like an elegant strip of "metal". Turned on, well, it blinks but it's not that bad.
- the plastic doesn't look very rugged, and I'm afraid that with heavy use it would scratch. With a bit of care I'm sure it will be OK.

09-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #1520
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for the info & impressions.
09-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #1521
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
This is why even though Jared Polin can be a complete tool, he actually does spout useful advice, like learning how to anticipate the moment. he runs a D4s but doens't take advantage of the high shutter speed.

Something I learned running a D800 at weddings and live music shows is anticipating the moment. I don't got the buffer size or the shutter speed to spray and pray. I also don't got the memory cards or hard drive space to sit there and go go go. Stupid camera is almost like shooting film with the size of those files, but I digress.

It seems things like this are lost on the current generation of young photographers. Everyone needs to at least once a week every few months turn around and just shoot film. You can get a K1000 with an 50mm f2.0 on Kijiji almost anytime of year for $50, buy it, throw the digital in your closet, go out and get back to basics. It's amazing how much I my photography improves when I give myself an analog reminder.
I shoot wildlife and sometimes holding the shutter gets you a shot, sometimes not. You can pick up expressions or peculiar poses that you can't anticipate. But I've found that I never get close to filling the K3 buffer even on continuous shooting.
09-19-2014, 03:00 PM - 2 Likes   #1522
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
- the grip is not that bad and it's definitely not slippery (but covered in some rubber coating), though I can't comfortably hold the camera with one hand - due to its size and shape. ...
- the plastic doesn't look very rugged, and I'm afraid that with heavy use it would scratch. With a bit of care I'm sure it will be OK.
So it is not made for nature wild life photography, but for city social life photography. Quite understandable; I hate when someone points at me a rugged DSLR with a bazooka lens — I feel like a reindeer and want to run away.

09-19-2014, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #1523
Veteran Member

Considering it has flashing LED lights on the front and comes in bright colours, I think its not meant for wildlife photography. I didn't know this was a secret
09-19-2014, 03:40 PM   #1524
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why is it not made for nature photography? It's got that nice big OVF.
09-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #1525
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
- the grip is not that bad and it's definitely not slippery (but covered in some rubber coating), though I can't comfortably hold the camera with one hand - due to its size and shape. Support the camera with the left as we're supposed to, and it works. But yeah, it's a bit of a step back. By the way, several of the competition's entry level models would instantly give me hand cramps...
- the new mode dial is very easy to use, if you grab it from both sides. You can switch it with one finger as well, not as easy but it works - no fingers were hurt during the process.
- the 4-way controller is a bit harder to use, because of the new mode dial. Surely, this camera is no K-3.
- there is no gap.
- the camera looks fine, I like the new design (color combinations are a matter of taste).
- turned off, the grip led strip looks like an elegant strip of "metal". Turned on, well, it blinks but it's not that bad.
Thanks very much for this. I was waiting for someone to post their impressions of the camera because I still haven't been able to try it out.
09-20-2014, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #1526
Veteran Member

Also at Photokina and wrote up my first impressions here: Pentax K-S1 First Impressions Review - Reviewed.com Cameras

Overall, I like it, but most Pentax fans should just buy a K-50.
09-20-2014, 01:32 AM   #1527
Pentaxian

Thank you all for your appreciative words, it's not like I did much, just some subjective impressions Deadwolfbones did a much thorough job.

I wasn't able to compare the shutter release noise with that of a K-50. It's definitely louder than the K-3, the question is how loud? I'm afraid that, in the noisy Photokina environment, I can't make any reasonable evaluation.
And they didn't had K-50s for testing (only behind the waterfall display).
09-20-2014, 01:59 AM   #1528
Veteran Member

Shutter sounded basically identical to the K-30/K-50/K-500 to me, which is just fine for most folks. K-3 is a lot quieter, but most people won't care that much.
09-20-2014, 05:36 AM   #1529
Veteran Member

It would be nice to see photos of the K-S1 with other lenses than the kit, especially DA15, DA35 and DA70...
09-20-2014, 08:22 AM   #1530
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
It would be nice to see photos of the K-S1 with other lenses than the kit, especially DA15, DA35 and DA70...
I've already posted this link, but I'll post it again since it seems to directly answer your question. Scroll down to see some camera-lens combinations.

PENTAX K-S1 ???????????RICOH IMAGING