Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #1531
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I've already posted this link, but I'll post it again since it seems to directly answer your question. Scroll down to see some camera-lens combinations.

PENTAX K-S1 ???????????RICOH IMAGING
Thanks! I'd like to see even more, but these are pretty nice. The HD DA70 suits this body very nicely, IMHO, though I don't think I could get myself to buy an orange camera... It looks very good though! I'm most drawn to the regular blue, but unless pricing comes down quickly, I might go straight for a K-3...

09-20-2014, 09:25 AM - 2 Likes   #1532
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I've already posted this link, but I'll post it again since it seems to directly answer your question. Scroll down to see some camera-lens combinations.

PENTAX K-S1 ???????????RICOH IMAGING
Said combinations for everybody to enjoy:

K-S1 + DA 35mm f/2.4

K-S1 + DA 50mm f/1.8

K-S1 + DFA 50mm f/2.8 Macro

K-S1 + DA 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 Fish-eye

K-S1 + HD DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited

K-S1 + HD DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited

K-S1 + HD DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited

K-S1 + HD DA 15mm f/4 Limited

K-S1 + DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6

09-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #1533
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Said combinations for everybody to enjoy:
Thanks for posting these. Where is the K-S1 + HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR?
09-20-2014, 11:31 AM   #1534
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Seeing the K-S1 at Photokina, few brief impressions:
- those folks at DPReview were smoking pot or something.
- the grip is not that bad and it's definitely not slippery (but covered in some rubber coating), though I can't comfortably hold the camera with one hand - due to its size and shape. Support the camera with the left as we're supposed to, and it works. But yeah, it's a bit of a step back. By the way, several of the competition's entry level models would instantly give me hand cramps...
- the new mode dial is very easy to use, if you grab it from both sides. You can switch it with one finger as well, not as easy but it works - no fingers were hurt during the process.
- the 4-way controller is a bit harder to use, because of the new mode dial. Surely, this camera is no K-3.
- there is no gap.
- the camera looks fine, I like the new design (color combinations are a matter of taste).
- turned off, the grip led strip looks like an elegant strip of "metal". Turned on, well, it blinks but it's not that bad.
- the plastic doesn't look very rugged, and I'm afraid that with heavy use it would scratch. With a bit of care I'm sure it will be OK.
I liked iT to. Talked about iT in the presentation area while sipping one of the cocktails offered. ITS a Nice camera to My minder.

09-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #1535
Pentaxian

Ok Ron, a nice present for any young photog
09-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #1536
Pentaxian

This is similar to the K-01 in that it will be more for prime use than zooms. I'm fine with that & the K-5 will be an excellent 2nd cam to this.
Why do so many reviewers think 1-hand shooting is the rage/bomb (what is the adjective for 2014 ) I don't get it. I guess small=1handed so points off if it's awkward? Silly humans.

And hey - speaking of copying images fromk Japan, where are these at pentaxstore??

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 09-20-2014 at 12:40 PM.
09-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #1537
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
This is similar to the K-01 in that it will be more for prime use than zooms. I'm fine with that & the K-5 will be an excellent 2nd cam to this.
Why do so many reviewers think 1-hand shooting is the rage/bomb (what is the adjective for 2014 ) I don't get it. I guess small=1handed so points off if it's awkward? Silly humans.

And hey - speaking of copying images fromk Japan, where are these at pentaxstore??
I'll believe that when we see K-S1 kits with a prime lens. Until them, it's hard to make the case the camera was designed for use with primes.

09-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #1538
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I'll believe that when we see K-S1 kits with a prime lens. Until them, it's hard to make the case the camera was designed for use with primes.
It's hard to make a case the camera was designed for use with two hands.

If you hold it like a phone between your thumbs and fingers the LED's on the grip show. If you hold it like a camera, with two hands (even one-handed), your hand on the grip covers the LED's.* I know it has a viewfinder but I wonder how many new camera buyers will use the viewfinder? Why else would everything be on the back?

I'm not being critical - I don't think this one is for me. I have a K-3 - what would I do with a K-S1?

*Adam says that was a major design fail - as if he saw it early, pointed that out to the designers, and they looked at each other, shuddered and said, "Oh. Damn !!"
09-20-2014, 05:47 PM   #1539
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Adam says that was a major design fail
But Shirley the LEDs are designed to provide information to the shooter when the camera is pointed at himself/herself. Even at 16mm, I can't imagine holding the K-S1 in front of me and taking a selfie without the benefit of tripod and remote.
09-20-2014, 11:35 PM   #1540
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
But Shirley the LEDs are designed to provide information to the shooter when the camera is pointed at himself/herself. Even at 16mm, I can't imagine holding the K-S1 in front of me and taking a selfie without the benefit of tripod and remote.
Exactly right. Who on Earth points a DSLR at an arm's distance for a selfie? Most K-mount lenses cannot even focus that near.
Camera is put on a wall on somewhere and a person is at least 2m away for a decent frame.
09-21-2014, 12:51 AM - 2 Likes   #1541
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Exactly right. Who on Earth points a DSLR at an arm's distance for a selfie? Most K-mount lenses cannot even focus that near.
Camera is put on a wall on somewhere and a person is at least 2m away for a decent frame.
Hmmmm. This is with the DA10-17, but the DA15 and DA21 would would be fine for a tighter composition.

Spin Off selfie
09-21-2014, 02:38 AM   #1542
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Hmmmm. This is with the DA10-17, but the DA15 and DA21 would would be fine for a tighter composition.

Spin Off selfie
Nice one Sandy. I'll admit it, I'm guilty.
09-21-2014, 04:13 AM   #1543
Veteran Member

Hm, was the live view on the K-S1 improved, or is it the same style of functioning as on the K-30, K-50? Because the live view on Pentax DSLRs is not that great. Even on the K-01 it could use some improvements. I forgive the K-01, because it was the first of its kind and released long ago. The K-S1 should improve upon that by now, though.
09-21-2014, 04:16 AM   #1544
Pentaxian

Yes, for those who have taken K-S1 and played with it, did they notice any advantage of the new Prime M II engine ?
Changes on video AF ? focus-peak ? ...
09-21-2014, 04:48 AM   #1545
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Also at Photokina and wrote up my first impressions here: Pentax K-S1 First Impressions Review - Reviewed.com Cameras

Overall, I like it, but most Pentax fans should just buy a K-50.
I like your review.