Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #1831
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I agree, but I see that as a critique of McD. I am suspicious of vegetarian butchers.
Supersize me, NH! :-)

10-27-2014, 03:32 PM   #1832
Veteran Member

I e-mailed Jim Malcolm last Friday expressing my disappointment in seeing the photoshopped KS-1 sweets e-mail. Within about 2 hours, I received a follow-up e-mail from Mr. Malcom's assistant to schedule a time that he could call me. This all happened before the apology e-mail came out.

Quite an extrordinary response from a company President, in my view.

Mr. Malcom said my reaction which I wrote about in my e-mail (sadness and embarassment) was akin to his when he first saw the photo ad. He said he was sickened by it. He apologized to me, and as a proxy of sorts for all Pentaxians. He is making changes to ensure this kind of thing doesn't happen again.

He asked about my photography interests, and products I wished Pentax would produce. In response to my wish for some faster lenses, he indicated they are coming, refering to the under glass mock-ups shown last month. And he spoke of "S" line of products and how they are targeted to a non-Pentaxian audience. We talked about B&M dealers, and my experience of learning about and buying a Pentax camera, because I handled a K200D in a store, and their efforts to (re)establish dealer connections.

He is clearly passionate about the business and wants to keep abreast of what the user community is saying. He thanked me for writing to him, and encouraged me to continue to do so, both for good and bad Pentax experiences.
10-27-2014, 03:46 PM   #1833
Veteran Member

Very impressive response, especially considering how many issues he must have been dealing with last week. I'm looking forward to where Pentax goes from here.
10-27-2014, 06:18 PM   #1834
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
He is clearly passionate about the business and wants to keep abreast of what the user community is saying. He thanked me for writing to him, and encouraged me to continue to do so, both for good and bad Pentax experiences.
I've had my conversations with Jim Malcolm, and with others in Denver off and on.

This response not only isn't unusual - it's the norm for Jim. He really does want to know the market, he has a vision, he's frustrated by how deeply angry the Dealer community still is post-Hoya - but he believes he can achieve the intermediate-term term goals Ricoh has laid down and in the long term vision.

Adam pointed out they're doing better and Adam is correct. It is unfortunate that something simple and small like this can seem like such a large setback, but that's where they are right now. Even I, the Plan guy, get discouraged by things like the Giant Woman - but in a few weeks we won't remember, and next spring we'll be talking about something else giant, I think.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-27-2014 at 06:39 PM.
10-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #1835
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I've had my conversations with Jim Malcolm, and with others in Denver off and on.

This response not only isn't unusual - it's the norm for Jim. He really does want to know the market, he has a vision, he's frustrated by how deeply angry the Dealer community still is post-Hoya - but he believes he can achieve the intermediate-term term goals Ricoh has laid down and in the long term vision.

Adam pointed out they're doing better and Adam is correct. It is unfortunate that something simple and small like this can seem like such a large setback, but that's where they are right now. Even I, the Plan guy, get discouraged by things like the Giant Woman - but in a few weeks we won't remember, and next spring we'll be talking about something else giant, I think.
I wonder how many hobbiest level (like me), or even important and talented members of fujiforums or canonforums or nikonforums or whateverforum can say they emailed the company with a concern and got an invitation to talk with the company president*. Within 2 hours.

My guess is very few if not zero.

Mr. Malcolm's frame of reference when he spoke about what he sees ahead for RIAC was definately longer term. He noted that projects were put on hold for the 645Z project and now they are selling them as fast as they can make them.

And then he said that resources that were devoted to the 645Z development are now working on the next BIG thing. I may have been projecting, but it seemed like he emphasized the word BIG as though it had more than the usual meaning. I won't speculate further.

* Malcolm's LinkedIn profile lists him as RIAC President as of October, 2014. Prior, he was Executive VP. The mothership must consider things are going well.
10-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #1836
Veteran Member

I wonder how many hobbiest level (like me), or even important and talented members of fujiforums or canonforums or nikonforums or whateverforum can say they emailed the company with a concern and got an invitation to talk with the company president*. Within 2 hours.

My guess is very few if not zero.

Mr. Malcolm's frame of reference when he spoke about what he sees ahead for RIAC was definately longer term. He noted that projects were put on hold for the 645Z project and now they are selling them as fast as they can make them.

And then he said that resources that were devoted to the 645Z development are now working on the next BIG thing. I may have been projecting, but it seemed like he emphasized the word BIG as though it had more than the usual meaning. I won't speculate further.

* Malcolm's LinkedIn profile lists him as RIAC President as of October, 2014. Prior, he was Executive VP. The mothership must consider things are going well.
Zero. That's exactly what I was thinking, too.

...although I'm upset because he didn't approve my linkedin request.
10-27-2014, 09:26 PM   #1837
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Best Superzoom 2014: Conclusions and Winners

[Note to Pentax fans: We requested but did not receive a Pentax X-G1]

It's the shame...
Perhaps Pentax knew the X-G1 would be outclassed by the better superzooms...

10-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #1838
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Maybe not the reason but the conclusion is , IMO, right.
10-28-2014, 02:04 AM   #1839
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspected this (based on conversations with Pentax people elsewhere) but was rebuffed by members here. I'm gratified to know I was correct.
10-28-2014, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #1840
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
A typical Pentax forums response

As a class, superzooms aren't stellar performers, but the X-G1 actually seems quite a decent superzoom. Have a look at some of the image samples on photoble.

I have a Canon SX50 superzoom (which came in 3rd in the IR test), which can do OK at full zoom, but I don't think it would get better results than this shot from the XG-1 at 1248mm (equivalent). Go to the photoble page for a full-size sample.

Full photoble page with EXIF.
10-28-2014, 05:36 AM   #1841
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

As a class, superzooms aren't stellar performers, but the X-G1 actually seems quite a decent superzoom. Have a look at some of the image samples on photoble.

I have a Canon SX50 superzoom (which came in 3rd in the IR test), which can do OK at full zoom, but I don't think it would get better results than this shot from the XG-1 at 1248mm (equivalent). Go to the photoble page for a full-size sample.

Still, the KG1 is underspecced and actually a lot less interesting than the X5.
10-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #1842
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

My response wasn't quite a flippant as you might think. From what I've read on a couple of sites, the X-G1 seems to be the oem twin of one of the Kodak superzooms, and I haven't read much good about either.

I'm a fan of the genre; over the last 2 years I've owned a handful, but each one seems to have a fatal flaw for me. I thought the Canon SX50 had the best IQ, but my hands were simply to large for it and the EVF too small. Probably what I should do is take the EVF loupe I use with my K-01 for tele work and use it on the superzoom's LCD.

Really good image of the duck, BTW . Ideal conditions for a small-sensored camera.
10-29-2014, 02:48 AM   #1843
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
If I was the marketing director for a major camera manufacturer, it would fer-durn-sure be a requirement that they used my stuff.
I see you have a way with french.
10-29-2014, 01:31 PM   #1844
Pentaxian

Was the K-S1 body only always $646.95 on bhphoto, or did it drop in price already? I swear it was $749 at release without the now included free flu card.
10-30-2014, 01:12 AM   #1845
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Was the K-S1 body only always $646.95 on bhphoto, or did it drop in price already? I swear it was $749 at release without the now included free flu card.
See this Oct 22 news item from the forum home page:
"Simultaneously, the US suggested retail price for the K-S1 has dropped by $100 to $646 for the body only and $696 for the 18-55mm lens kit. On top of this, an O-FC1 FluCard wireless card will be included with the kits."