Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2014, 07:57 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
. . .
To my surprise the home page is no longer usable on Opera (Win 7) - seems the other pages are fine so far. Guess I'll have to try Firefox next.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
. . .
It should work in Opera- at least it works over on my end. Can you post a screenshot of what the page looks like? Be sure to disable any script blockers as the new site requires JS to work as intended. We also use the latest web technologies, but those should be supported even by old versions of opera. Heck, the site will even look fine in IE 7 and 8!
Thanks Adam for responding. The problems that I see are that everything is smooshed in the center of the screen in a looong column. It happens only on certain sites, eBay in particular, and now this site. I will try to get you a screenshot on Monday when I'm back at work and using a Windows computer - it doesn't happen with my Mac at home, which I'm happily using now.

I also use Opera on Windows 7 (javascript enabled), and I've seen what jamarley is describing.
It happens when I'm using Opera's "Fit to Width" function. There's no problem using it on forums pages, but this is what the home page looks like when Fit to Width is on:

08-23-2014, 09:12 PM   #47
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I know that this is a but of a touchy subject, but the front page is very "Pentax". That's fine, but it doesn't give any indication that some some sections of the website cover Ricoh cameras. All I can see is a few Ricoh models are shown at the bottom. Another example is that to get to user reviews of Ricoh cameras from the navigation bar, you have to choose "Pentax Cameras" and then you can find sections for Ricoh cameras on the linked page. If you want to get Ricoh users more involved with the site, I think you have to put at least one item towards the top of the page. Otherwise, they'll come to the page, think "nothing for me here" and leave.

But I just want to mention that, like most of the commenters here, I think the new front page looks very nice. It's an improvement over the last one, but I thought that was nice as well, actually.
08-23-2014, 10:21 PM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It looks great. I remember feeling lost last time it was changed so I bet it will be the same again. In a few days we will be completely used to it.
08-24-2014, 06:06 AM   #49
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by all thumbs Quote
I also use Opera on Windows 7 (javascript enabled), and I've seen what jamarley is describing.
It happens when I'm using Opera's "Fit to Width" function. There's no problem using it on forums pages, but this is what the home page looks like when Fit to Width is on:

You will probably need to disable fit to width option, but if there's a workaround I will implement it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-24-2014, 09:29 AM   #50
Pentaxian

You will probably need to disable fit to width option, but if there's a workaround I will implement it.

Okay. Thanks for a great site, Adam!
08-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #51

I like it a lot, well done team of course there will be a few issues to start with, which will be worked through. Good work all round
08-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

Well if this is the solution it will certainly resolve my frustration with this and a few other sites. Now, as opposed to a normal weekend, I can't wait to get back to work ... I mean just to check it out!
08-24-2014, 11:15 PM   #53
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Well if this is the solution it will certainly resolve my frustration with this and a few other sites. Now, as opposed to a normal weekend, I can't wait to get back to work ... I mean just to check it out!
QuoteOriginally posted by all thumbs Quote
Okay. Thanks for a great site, Adam!
Based on my research "fit to width" can completely break many modern site designs, and it can't really be circumvented (the feature will likely be removed entirely in the future).

However, it's possible to detect when it's enabled, so now opera users with it enabled will see a message with instructions on how to disable it.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-25-2014, 04:53 AM   #54
Pentaxian

I don't believe it is in the Opera Version I am Using. ( Opera next 24)
08-25-2014, 06:24 AM   #55
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I don't believe it is in the Opera Version I am Using. ( Opera next 24)
Yup, it's also listed as a "legacy feature". People make responsive and/or dedicated mobile websites these days (ourselves included), so the whole concept behind "fit to width" is flawed.

Adam

08-25-2014, 06:32 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter

Based on my research "fit to width" can completely break many modern site designs, and it can't really be circumvented (the feature will likely be removed entirely in the future).

However, it's possible to detect when it's enabled, so now opera users with it enabled will see a message with instructions on how to disable it.
Adam you are awesome! As soon as I tried the site your message appeared and I thought "this is how computers should work". Problem solved - great work Adam!

Jeff