Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2014, 08:36 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
+1!

And the page should have at least 12 custom color options that the user could pick from!
Dont forget the "Green Button"

08-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #32
Pentaxian

I don't like that it's a portal. There is no useful content on the front page anymore. Just links to stuff. Sliding news banners are stupid. Click just a bit to late and you are in the wrong story. Looks sleek and modern, but is not more functional than the previous home page.
08-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I don't like that it's a portal. There is no useful content on the front page anymore. Just links to stuff. Sliding news banners are stupid. Click just a bit to late and you are in the wrong story. Looks sleek and modern, but is not more functional than the previous home page.
Exactly what I meant with my previous post. :-)

I'm aware of this trend in web design, but its being trendy doesn't make it any more useful or even sensical IMHO.
08-21-2014, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

PentaxForums is DOOOOOOOOOMED!

08-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I think it's a nice upgrade.
08-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Joshua A Quote
I dunno if anyone has noticed, but the new front page for the Pentax Forums in bloody awesome!
Yes Yes, but taking a wile to find where everything fits together.

Congratulations and I go with the bloody awesome
08-22-2014, 04:57 PM   #37

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Yes Yes, but taking a wile to find where everything fits together.

Congratulations and I go with the bloody awesome

Straya *expletive*

08-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #38
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While I haven't had a chance to go through the entire thread yet, thanks for all the positive comments- I'm glad you guys like the new look and I hope it makes the site much easier to browse.

QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
To my surprise the home page is no longer usable on Opera (Win 7) - seems the other pages are fine so far. Guess I'll have to try Firefox next.
It should work in Opera- at least it works over on my end. Can you post a screenshot of what the page looks like? Be sure to disable any script blockers as the new site requires JS to work as intended. We also use the latest web technologies, but those should be supported even by old versions of opera. Heck, the site will even look fine in IE 7 and 8!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-22-2014, 05:41 PM   #39
Site Supporter

Thanks Adam for responding. The problems that I see are that everything is smooshed in the center of the screen in a looong column. It happens only on certain sites, eBay in particular, and now this site. I will try to get you a screenshot on Monday when I'm back at work and using a Windows computer - it doesn't happen with my Mac at home, which I'm happily using now.
08-22-2014, 06:06 PM   #40
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
Thanks Adam for responding. The problems that I see are that everything is smooshed in the center of the screen in a looong column. It happens only on certain sites, eBay in particular, and now this site. I will try to get you a screenshot on Monday when I'm back at work and using a Windows computer - it doesn't happen with my Mac at home, which I'm happily using now.
That sounds very weird! The site is supposed to have a fixed with of 1000px.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Harumph! My monitor is 2560 pixels wide. Bah humbug.
08-23-2014, 03:21 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Adam, nice work on the new design - nicer, modern. I guess the only thing I can say against it is that some elements appears oversized, and it's a bit of a space waster.
Just curious, why did you decide against a responsive design?
08-23-2014, 04:24 AM   #43

it's a nice upgrade! well done
08-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #44
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
What I would like to see on the front page is maybe a "Recent photos by members" window, where a tiny thumbnail would rotate between some latest photos uploaded on here. This would show guests that the forum is more than just debate and gear
Great idea. This is actually something I originally wanted to include, but the idea slipped through the cracks. I'll add some sort of a modern filmstrip/gallery below the recent comments section.

Adam

08-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #45
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by nono Quote
I'm not a huge fan either. In fact, I think it is a big regression; the old page showed all the headlines at a time, now you have to wait for that damned thing to scroll all the way through its contents before finding out if there is something interesting in there. I'm really disappointed by this one change.

I don't really know if I like the static parts better than the old version, time will tell I guess. :-)
Go to Article Index | PentaxForums.com

That'll give you everything on one page as in the old design. If you click in to a specific category, you'll even get the old blog format.

The homepage itself is all about content discovery and so far, I think it's working very well.

The forum navigation will be updated to match the homepage navbar soon.

Adam