Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2014, 05:16 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Is it? I believed Sony just released a 12 MP FF camera, and every digital pundit raves about it.
So why would 20MP in an APS-C be an obstacle, considering that half the industry (Oly, Panasonic, Fuji, Leica) is still on the good ol' 16 MP?
Photojournalism only requires 12 MP at most.

Print larger or crop aggressively and that is too small.

Nikon's strategy is to have pros buy different cameras with different levels of MPs for different purposes. This is a sales strategy.

08-21-2014, 05:18 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam G Quote
Just one thing from me:
In comparing this size-wise to the SL1, people have mentioned prism vs mirror viewfinders, and also Pentax's inclusion of SR.
Don't forget the AF screwdrive motor!
Indeed. Canon's effort now looks even more pathetic. No one beats Pentax when it comes to uncompromising miniaturisations. That means, miniaturisations with common sense. Others will make some or many stupid compromises to reduce size, say Canon with SL1 or Panny with their GM1, but Pentax will not. They could, but in their mind they are going against the common sense, camera's usability and user's enjoyment.

That is why I still wish to support them; if they are gone, camera industry will lose a vital payer, who is a single source of common sense and sanity in camera design.

Last edited by Uluru; 08-22-2014 at 02:56 AM.
08-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #33
mee
Veteran Member

I guess this means the K-50 successor is at minimum 20MP and probably just the K-3 sensor with 12-bit RAW?
08-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote

That is why I still wish to support them; if they are gone, camera industry will lose a vital payer, who is a single source of common sense and sanity in camera design.
Common sense and sanity and a little bit of complete ridiculousness

08-21-2014, 02:36 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This K-S1 is after all a rumor as are its specs. It may be a prototype or it may be a prank or it may be disinformation. Steve
Yep. Sometimes this Forum just amazes me/

Cross-posted:

This forum begged for a K-01 with a VF and mirror, never understanding the K-30 is a K-01 with a VF and mirror.

So Pentax gave this Forum what it asked for - and look how this Forum responds - same old same old pre-release character assassination.

The ultimate irony will come at Photokina when Ricoh announces the companion KF-U2

which will be a K-S1 minus the OVF and mirror

and a WiFi connection to your music library, for posting direct-from-camera Vines mashups..
08-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #36
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Cross-posted:

This forum begged for a K-01 with a VF and mirror, never understanding the K-30 is a K-01 with a VF and mirror.

So Pentax gave this Forum what it asked for - and look how this Forum responds - same old same old pre-release character assassination.

The ultimate irony will come at Photokina when Ricoh announces the companion KF-U2

and a WiFi connection to your music library, for posting direct-from-camera Vines mashups..

I must have missed those threads... However, I did not miss the threads where people stated the K-30 was like a K-01 with an OVF/mirror.
08-21-2014, 03:35 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I dare them to do it! (even if they call it by its true name, "K-02") I double-dog-dare them!

08-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #38
Pentaxian

OK, I'm still hoping the S part in the KS-1 is for sensitive and it has way higher than 51,200 ISO and cleaner at low light high ISO than any other APS-c sensor. Sony A7s, Nikon D4S, Pentax KS-1. Losing 4 MPs and gaining some low light sensitivity and performance would be awesome ... I'd probably buy one on pre-order. I actually was kind of hoping the K-3 would be 20 MP. And more sensitive sensors are the way of the future. The MP race is so passé.
08-22-2014, 02:56 AM   #39
Banned

We don't even know how much or what kind of tech this little baby has. We were deliberately given breadcrumbs.
Many presume this is K-50 done in a smaller body, but I sincerely doubt it.

I am prepared many will be thoroughly surprised. I can almost ascertain this is not one trick pony, and Pentax is more than prepared for some surprises.
08-22-2014, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
People will never be satisfied. Make a camera that looks the same as every other camera out there and folks complain because it looks the same. Release a camera in colors and you are mocked for catering to the idiot masses. Make a smaller camera and people get on to you that either (a) it isn't small enough (b) it is too small or (c) it just plain looks silly.

In a sense, every camera company out there is trying to figure out, not just where the camera market has been, but where it is going in order to continue to sell camera gear to the unwashed masses. Obviously, Nikon has decided that five or six full frame cameras is the way to go. Pentax is trying a smaller APS-C camera.

Whatever the case, selling a new version of the K30/K50, even with a few more megapixels and a little better video isn't going to be a hit in the market. This could be (depending on cost and store presence).
08-22-2014, 04:19 AM   #41
Pentaxian

It's an entry level camera, don't expect expensive technologies. It's a "K-50 done in a smaller body", with a 20MP sensor and few goodies - some trickled down from the K-3.
Thus, no modular (user interchangeable) design, no amazing new sensor nobody else has access to, no unexpected mid-range features.
08-22-2014, 04:32 AM   #42
Pentaxian

For one, agreed ; and really impatient to see what Pentax R&D will have pulled out of this "shorter commercial life ever" home-made Sony sensor

Last edited by Zygonyx; 08-22-2014 at 04:37 AM.
08-22-2014, 06:39 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It's an entry level camera, don't expect expensive technologies. It's a "K-50 done in a smaller body", with a 20MP sensor and few goodies - some trickled down from the K-3.
Thus, no modular (user interchangeable) design, no amazing new sensor nobody else has access to, no unexpected mid-range features.
I agree. I think a lot of people have been mesmerized by the unusual (for DSLRs) shell and green LEDs (is that what they are for?), and think this is some radical new concept, when I see a development of prior designs. The shift of the mode dial to the back is the biggest change, but not completely unprecedented - dropping the top LCD in the K-m was a big deal at the time. I would be surprised if the K-S1 has integrated WiFi - it seems like a good idea for the youth market, but still a leap too far for Pentax. A trickle down of the K-3 Flucard support is probably the most it will have.

I personally like the idea of a three tier lineup - magnesium-bodied top-tier, (weather sealed) plastic midrange, and (flashy) small entry-level. Pentax sort of had that with the K-5/K-30/K-01. I sometimes wonder if the K-500 was a stop-gap entry-level when the K-01 didn't take off, and the K-S1 wasn't ready. That, or part of a "tick-tock" approach of every other body having conventional/unconventional styling.
08-22-2014, 07:04 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Cross-posted:

Did anyone get that joke? (KF-U2)

Apparently not.. tragic!
08-22-2014, 07:59 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Did anyone get that joke? (KF-U2)

Apparently not.. tragic!
I got it.

I sure hope the KF-U2 comes in metallic pastel pink...