Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

View Poll Results: What new products will Pentax unveil at Photokina 2014?
Entry-level DSLR 14444.86%
Mid-range DSLR 7222.43%
High-end APS-C DSLR 329.97%
The Pentax full frame DSLR! 9028.04%
Compact camera 3611.21%
High-end compact camera 5216.20%
K-mount lens 19159.50%
Q-mount lens 11134.58%
645-mount lens 8927.73%
Pentax accessory 5918.38%
New mirrorless camera 4614.33%
Full-frame mirrorless 3410.59%
Other (make a post!) 134.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #181
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,413
QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
So no K-mount lens.. I'm hoping they are just very good and keeping secrets.
Yes. It is pretty disappointing. So far we have on Star Trek themed DSLR and a Go-Pro that looks like Casio designed a wrist mount flashlight. Going into year 3 of the Ricoh take over. So far we have gotten the 1.4x tele and the average 20-40mm Limited.

09-13-2014, 12:10 PM   #182
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Stratford, CT
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 652
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Yes. It is pretty disappointing. So far we have on Star Trek themed DSLR and a Go-Pro that looks like Casio designed a wrist mount flashlight. Going into year 3 of the Ricoh take over. So far we have gotten the 1.4x tele and the average 20-40mm Limited.
Also the best APS-C camera on the market.

I just want to be clear: you're disappointed about the lack of rumors? Because the show hasn't happened yet. There's still plenty of time for everyone to complain about the actual announcements.
09-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #183
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,452
QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
Also the best APS-C camera on the market.
645Z came from another planet too, I guess. HD coatings? Nah, evaporators and clean rooms aren't anything important.
09-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #184
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,778
QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
Also the best APS-C camera on the market.
(...).
The best until Monday.

09-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #185
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,452
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The best until Monday.
Unless all the K-3 deals are a signal of something.
09-13-2014, 01:55 PM - 2 Likes   #186
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,532
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Yes. It is pretty disappointing. So far we have on Star Trek themed DSLR and a Go-Pro that looks like Casio designed a wrist mount flashlight. Going into year 3 of the Ricoh take over. So far we have gotten the 1.4x tele and the average 20-40mm Limited.
So we have got in 1 year:
- full DAltd revamp with HD coating and curved apperture blades.
- HD coating + apperture blades & WR DA55-300
- DA20-40
- TC 1.4
- Pentax K3. Selected as best APSC camera of the year.
- K-S1
- 645Z the best high iso digital camera on the market (better than A7s) all contructors and format included with very positive review from all pro photographer working on medium frame and a price tag that make it THE medium digital camera to have with good handled capabilities, 3FPS and good ergonomics and WR.

The 645Z alone is the most game changer camera being a CMOS sensor for Medium frame BUT also with good ergonomics and a capable camera maker being it...

But because we might not have new lenses anoucement just now before the photokina but maybe only at photokina time or 3 months after........ Pentax is surely doomed.
09-13-2014, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #187
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,556
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
So we have got in 1 year:
- full DAltd revamp with HD coating and curved apperture blades.
- HD coating + apperture blades & WR DA55-300
- DA20-40
- TC 1.4
- Pentax K3. Selected as best APSC camera of the year.
- K-S1
- 645Z the best high iso digital camera on the market (better than A7s) all contructors and format included with very positive review from all pro photographer working on medium frame and a price tag that make it THE medium digital camera to have with good handled capabilities, 3FPS and good ergonomics and WR.

The 645Z alone is the most game changer camera being a CMOS sensor for Medium frame BUT also with good ergonomics and a capable camera maker being it...

But because we might not have new lenses anoucement just now before the photokina but maybe only at photokina time or 3 months after........ Pentax is surely doomed.
Don't forget about:
- Q-S1
- Q 08 wide zoom
- WG-4, WG4GPS and WG-20
- WG-M1 action cam
- XG-1 bridgecamera
- Ricoh G800
- 28-45mm for 645Z
09-13-2014, 07:40 PM   #188
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,413
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
So we have got in 1 year:
- full DAltd revamp with HD coating and curved apperture blades.
- HD coating + apperture blades & WR DA55-300
- DA20-40
- TC 1.4
- Pentax K3. Selected as best APSC camera of the year.
- K-S1
- 645Z the best high iso digital camera on the market (better than A7s) all contructors and format included with very positive review from all pro photographer working on medium frame and a price tag that make it THE medium digital camera to have with good handled capabilities, 3FPS and good ergonomics and WR.

The 645Z alone is the most game changer camera being a CMOS sensor for Medium frame BUT also with good ergonomics and a capable camera maker being it...

But because we might not have new lenses anoucement just now before the photokina but maybe only at photokina time or 3 months after........ Pentax is surely doomed.
My comments are about the lens offering. The 1.4x and the average, but expensive 20-40mm are disappointing. The 560mm is a pretty specialized lens for the price. Yes, they have added HD coating to some lenses and rounded aperture blades, but that doesn't appear to be much of an upgrade relative to the price increase.

Yes. It has been disappointing so far. It doesn't mean they don't have something of interest left to announce, but so far Pentax looks to have a pretty boring booth at the show. The 645z and lenses have already been released, and there are multiple reviews. The 645z isn't going to bring a lot of traffic. Really only Nikon and Fuji have leaked/announced anything of interest so far. The rumored Sony FE lenses haven't shown up. The Canon 7DII appears to be ready to launch, but not an official announcement yet. The Samsung NX is interesting, but Samsung is such a small player they are irrelevant.

Hopefully Pentax has really tight security and can give me a reason to spend some money. After the expensive and rather average 20-40mm I will be waiting for reviews on any glass announced, but I hope to see updated and improved glass. New HD coatings, faster, quieter motors, and generally improved optics.


Last edited by Winder; 09-13-2014 at 10:38 PM.
09-14-2014, 01:18 AM   #189
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,413
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The 1.4x and the average, but expensive 20-40mm are disappointing.
I strongly disagree about the 1.4x rear converter. First, it was loudly requested by us - you can't be disappointed by Pentax listening to us, can you? Second, it's quite good (some say surprisingly so); you can't be disappointed by its optics, either. Third, I have one.
09-14-2014, 01:39 AM   #190
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vereeniging South Africa
Posts: 186
Photokina K mount

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
So no K-mount lens.. I'm hoping they are just very good and keeping secrets.

My prediction


We will see three new K mount lenses at Photokina.


16-85
70-200
150-400


Philip



09-14-2014, 02:35 AM   #191
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,532
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
My comments are about the lens offering. The 1.4x and the average, but expensive 20-40mm are disappointing. The 560mm is a pretty specialized lens for the price. Yes, they have added HD coating to some lenses and rounded aperture blades, but that doesn't appear to be much of an upgrade relative to the price increase.

Yes. It has been disappointing so far. It doesn't mean they don't have something of interest left to announce, but so far Pentax looks to have a pretty boring booth at the show. The 645z and lenses have already been released, and there are multiple reviews. The 645z isn't going to bring a lot of traffic. Really only Nikon and Fuji have leaked/announced anything of interest so far. The rumored Sony FE lenses haven't shown up. The Canon 7DII appears to be ready to launch, but not an official announcement yet. The Samsung NX is interesting, but Samsung is such a small player they are irrelevant.

Hopefully Pentax has really tight security and can give me a reason to spend some money. After the expensive and rather average 20-40mm I will be waiting for reviews on any glass announced, but I hope to see updated and improved glass. New HD coatings, faster, quieter motors, and generally improved optics.
For the 1.4 TC, I go with Kunzite. It seems to be as good as it can be, cover FF image circle and has a reasonable price. It seems to work pretty well on the DA300 f/4 for example. DA20-40 is for something that want a small package... That may not be your case, but it as very good sharpness for a zoom, good color rendering and is small. May not at the level of a prime or sigma 18-35, but the compromize what on small size, not ultimate, useless to many, apperture and sharpness.

And for the rest we have to be consistent. Either we have to think Photokina annoucement is important... And wait until it to see what available... Or we think it is not, we can count the previous good body product as nice... And can accept the lens you wish for may be very well anounced 3 month later.
09-14-2014, 06:50 AM   #192
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,413
The 1.4x is a fine teleconverter. The "expensive and average" statement was in regard to the 20-40mm. Other than size and build quality the 20-40mm is disappointing. I don't mind the narrow zoom range and slow aperture if the lens is optically stellar, just as I don't mind the Sigma 18-35's large size as long as it is optically stellar. IQ trumps packaging for me. I like the build quality of the 20-40mm and I hope Pentax continues to design lenses with the look and build quality, but I buy lenses on how they perform optically. I have yet to see a review of the 20-40mm that indicated it was better than average optically and when you consider the price, range, and speed, that is disappointing.
09-14-2014, 08:25 AM   #193
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,532
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The 1.4x is a fine teleconverter. The "expensive and average" statement was in regard to the 20-40mm. Other than size and build quality the 20-40mm is disappointing. I don't mind the narrow zoom range and slow aperture if the lens is optically stellar, just as I don't mind the Sigma 18-35's large size as long as it is optically stellar. IQ trumps packaging for me. I like the build quality of the 20-40mm and I hope Pentax continues to design lenses with the look and build quality, but I buy lenses on how they perform optically. I have yet to see a review of the 20-40mm that indicated it was better than average optically and when you consider the price, range, and speed, that is disappointing.
From what I have seen, DA20-40 has very good flare resistance and contrast. Far better than any 17-50 f/2.8 or 16-50 on the market. From what I see as sharpness for example the 17-50 & 16-50 have as good border sharpness as the 20-40, but tend to have significantly lower center shapness.

In other word my impression is

17-70 < (17-50 & 16-50) < DA20-40 < sigma 18-35 in sharpness
but DA20-40 > sigma 18-35 in flare resistance and contrast.

This doesn't give an average lens out of the 20-40, but a very good lens that is the best zoom lens for flare resistance, but only second best in sharpness. That not that bad. This is even very good !

Now of course it will not beat a prime, but sigma 18-35 will not neither.
09-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #194
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,413
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
From what I have seen, DA20-40 has very good flare resistance and contrast. Far better than any 17-50 f/2.8 or 16-50 on the market. From what I see as sharpness for example the 17-50 & 16-50 have as good border sharpness as the 20-40, but tend to have significantly lower center shapness.

In other word my impression is

17-70 < (17-50 & 16-50) < DA20-40 < sigma 18-35 in sharpness
but DA20-40 > sigma 18-35 in flare resistance and contrast.

This doesn't give an average lens out of the 20-40, but a very good lens that is the best zoom lens for flare resistance, but only second best in sharpness. That not that bad. This is even very good !

Now of course it will not beat a prime, but sigma 18-35 will not neither.
1. The Sigma actually beats several primes for speed and sharpness.
2. I do a lot of event work where flash is not allowed, so speed is more important than size.
3. The tests I have seen show that the 20-40mm is best at 30mm stopped down to F/5.6. I own the 31mm which is faster as better. Just buy the 31mm for the price.
4. There are better walk around lenses for the money if you are a casual shooter. The limited zoom range, speed, & cost are not a good combination.
09-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #195
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,413
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The 1.4x is a fine teleconverter.
Why is it disappointing, then?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, brand, camera, canon, crop, customers, da, expectations, ff, frame option, k-mount, lens, lenses, macro, nikon, olympus, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, people, photokina, photokina predictions, review, shutter, strategy, system, top, wedding
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thom Hogan's Photokina Predictions cali92rs Photographic Industry and Professionals 20 08-15-2014 12:47 PM
Official PF Photokina Meetup Adam Travel, Events, and Groups 42 09-26-2012 11:33 AM
Official Inception Hype Thread deadwolfbones General Talk 11 07-11-2010 07:07 AM
NFL Scores Predictions thread LeDave General Talk 9 11-18-2009 05:00 AM
The Official Canon Thread! jct us101 Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 75 09-22-2009 08:04 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:58 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top