Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What new products will Pentax unveil at Photokina 2014?
Entry-level DSLR 14444.86%
Mid-range DSLR 7222.43%
High-end APS-C DSLR 329.97%
The Pentax full frame DSLR! 9028.04%
Compact camera 3611.21%
High-end compact camera 5216.20%
K-mount lens 19159.50%
Q-mount lens 11134.58%
645-mount lens 8927.73%
Pentax accessory 5918.38%
New mirrorless camera 4614.33%
Full-frame mirrorless 3410.59%
Other (make a post!) 134.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2014, 07:58 PM   #286
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
because with Canon you can.
now that's some cool marketing statement.

09-16-2014, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #287
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Yes, but in the meantime Fuji X mount has no access to Sigma or Samyang primes in the way K mount has.
There is no >240mm tele.
No assess to legacy lenses without adaptor.
Poor battery performance.
You are stuck with your in-body Jpegs if you want something correct, and RAW filess are awfull or soft-limited to rework...
And don't speak about ergonomy, ruggedness of bodies, and lens flare...
There's an incredible hype for the Fuji X system, which besides high prices, is not convincing many re. compactness as a system.
You speak as if people cant take beautiful, sharp shots with x-mount cameras when obviously thousands of samples show otherwise. So you chose to ignore them?
And no access to Samyang or Sigma lenses? Hate to break this to you but all the beloved Takumars and Pentax MF lenses are much easier to use with X-mount cameras than Pentax cameras. Forget about the precious green button. You buy a $30 adapter which is no big deal and you are ready to go with one touch magnification and focus peaking.

And yes, it isn't cheap, but fast lenses arent cheap. What sucks is when slow lenses are expensive.

You know why there is hype? Because they are producing lenses thst people want and arent making them wait year after year for exciting products.
09-16-2014, 11:16 PM   #288
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
And yes, it isn't cheap, but fast lenses arent cheap. What sucks is when slow lenses are expensive.
Pentax ask big money for fast lenses outside of 50mm, that's true. But that not the case of Nikon, Canon where you can find 50 & 85mm f/1.8 for really a bargan and a 35mm f/1.8 or f/2. That already quite fast and more than you need to begin with.

I agree with the others, while Fuji is nice for now it is not that nice. Lot of unavailable lens that do not exist or on roadmap, RAWs that are more difficult to use, an amphasis on fast wide angle because it is easy on a mirrorless system, but on doesn't need 3-5 fast wide and nothing after 60mm... Yeah, yeah the roadmap. Unitl then it is not a mature system.

Pentax is mature system. You can find all kind of lenses from the fish to long end tele. That's may include some sigma tamron, samyang, still is cover everything and has the Pentax brand alone as at least 2X lenses avaiable. That might change. But not the case yet.
09-18-2014, 06:09 AM   #289
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I agree with the others, while Fuji is nice for now it is not that nice. Lot of unavailable lens that do not exist or on roadmap, RAWs that are more difficult to use, an amphasis on fast wide angle because it is easy on a mirrorless system, but on doesn't need 3-5 fast wide and nothing after 60mm... Yeah, yeah the roadmap. Unitl then it is not a mature system.

Pentax is mature system. You can find all kind of lenses from the fish to long end tele. That's may include some sigma tamron, samyang, still is cover everything and has the Pentax brand alone as at least 2X lenses avaiable. That might change. But not the case yet.
So... Fuji is not a mature system because they have gaps in their gear line up. But Pentax is a mature system even though they gaps in their gear line up. That does not compute.

09-18-2014, 06:44 AM   #290
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Come on they have a lot of fast wides... Something that is half useless anyway as you can't really achieve good shallow deph of field 23mm or less on APSC. We could do with 1 fast wide for thoses that really can't live without it. And that finished.

And that's all they have. Want to make some portraits? Nothing past 60mm for now (and f/2.4 only), otherwise that 50mm. They think to have a 90mm f/2 on their road map but it is not here. Where is the common 70mm focal lens? Nowhere ! Where is decent macro lens? People there ask for 200 or 180mm macro lens... Fuji as 60mm !

Where are the tele? I can have a 200 or 300mm prime, and very nice one. Here there nothing !

Fuji is 10 years late in the APSC echosystem and they didn't start with a nice offer a FF lens to compensate. You can invest on Fuji... So in 5 years maybe it is good if they don't change mount or you can invest in Canon, Nikon or Pentax and have something that works now.

And don't forget to ask they to go FF! If Pentax is doomed, Fuji is already in hell.
I doubt Fuji prioritized long teles when they were putting together their lens plans because they didn't have a camera that could do AF tracking. Now that they do (X-T1), I wouldn't be surprised to see them start putting some emphasis there.

BTW, if Pentax can produce the upcoming 16-85 with IQ on par with the Fuji kit zooms, they will have a big winner.
09-18-2014, 06:56 AM   #291
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I doubt Fuji prioritized long teles when they were putting together their lens plans because they didn't have a camera that could do AF tracking. Now that they do (X-T1), I wouldn't be surprised to see them start putting some emphasis there.
(...).
They just revealed the mock-up of a 140-400mm f/4-5.6.

09-18-2014, 07:29 AM   #292
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
They just revealed the mock-up of a 140-400mm f/4-5.6.
I think their line up of new lenses is going to be winning a few more Fuji-X adepts:

16-55 F2.8
18-135mm
50-140mm
140-400mm .... (I would like to see this in K-mount)

Well ... that is very interesting now , isn't it?

Last edited by jpzk; 09-18-2014 at 07:33 AM. Reason: added info
09-18-2014, 08:10 AM   #293
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I think their line up of new lenses is going to be winning a few more Fuji-X adepts:

16-55 F2.8
18-135mm
50-140mm
140-400mm .... (I would like to see this in K-mount)

Well ... that is very interesting now , isn't it?

Fuji and Sony are producing some excellent camera's right now. Once the lens lineup fills out on both I would have a hard time picking up a Pentax over Fuji for APS-C if I were fresh to the DSLR market. The kit lens for Fuji is nicer than some premium lenses from others. EVF is winning me over as well. I really really like the hybrid viewfinder on the X100s. I wish all camera's had it. Manual focus is a breeze and very accurate on Fuji's.

Hopefully the next K camera uses some of what's been developed so I can put my lenses to use. I really don't want to sell and start over with another brand. In the end the images don't look much different and it's up to the brain behind the lens to produce.

09-18-2014, 08:14 AM   #294
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
Fuji and Sony are producing some excellent camera's right now. Once the lens lineup fills out on both I would have a hard time picking up a Pentax over Fuji for APS-C if I were fresh to the DSLR market. The kit lens for Fuji is nicer than some premium lenses from others. EVF is winning me over as well. I really really like the hybrid viewfinder on the X100s. I wish all camera's had it. Manual focus is a breeze and very accurate on Fuji's.

Hopefully the next K camera uses some of what's been developed so I can put my lenses to use. I really don't want to sell and start over with another brand. In the end the images don't look much different and it's up to the brain behind the lens to produce.
For me, the ace-in-the-hole for Pentax is IBIS. I want all my lenses to be stabilized.

But yeah, I do look at Fuji sometimes...
09-18-2014, 08:22 AM   #295
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
For me, the ace-in-the-hole for Pentax is IBIS. I want all my lenses to be stabilized.

But yeah, I do look at Fuji sometimes...
IBIS is a huge advantage for Pentax. Hopefully they see what Fuji is doing and hook us up with some faster primes and Hybrid Viewfinders. Hybrid is awesome and if you get a chance grab an X100 and check it out. It's like having a FF optical viewfinder and a high res EVF. Optical is nice for day and EVF is amazing in low light (boosts up brightness) and it's essentially a liveview that isn't washed out by the sun so you can see your EV corrections etc in real time. It also is really really good for manual focus.

I'm getting into primes now and Fuji is a siren song I'm trying to resist!
09-18-2014, 08:56 AM   #296
Pentaxian

Hopefully they see what Fuji is doing and hook us up with some faster primes and Hybrid Viewfinders.
Hybrid VF in a rangefinder is one thing. In a dslr another. Where to put it? You'd have to have a lcd/oled matte. Transparent yet full of pixels.
09-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #297
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
IBIS is a huge advantage for Pentax.
Indeed but I wouldn't be that much surprised by Pentax keeping IBIS on APS and ILIS on FF/MF.
That way, you'd have reasons to keep both cams.
09-18-2014, 12:35 PM   #298
Pentaxian

DPReview vistited the ricoh stand. On the third day already. We are moving up in the world Photokina 2014: Ricoh stand report: Digital Photography Review
09-18-2014, 12:56 PM   #299
Lens Buying Addict

Before I could read the article I had to find and click a tiny'x' to get rid of a full-page D750 pop-up ad. Then the left 40% of my screen was filled with the same ad.
09-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #300
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Before I could read the article I had to find and click a tiny'x' to get rid of a full-page D750 pop-up ad. Then the left 40% of my screen was filled with the same ad.
The bliss of an ad blocker.