Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

View Poll Results: What new products will Pentax unveil at Photokina 2014?
Entry-level DSLR 14444.86%
Mid-range DSLR 7222.43%
High-end APS-C DSLR 329.97%
The Pentax full frame DSLR! 9028.04%
Compact camera 3611.21%
High-end compact camera 5216.20%
K-mount lens 19159.50%
Q-mount lens 11134.58%
645-mount lens 8927.73%
Pentax accessory 5918.38%
New mirrorless camera 4614.33%
Full-frame mirrorless 3410.59%
Other (make a post!) 134.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #91
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,349
Let's add the leaf shutter lenses for 645 to that New Pentax leaf shutter 645 medium format lenses coming soon | Photo Rumors (talk about circulating rumours)

09-07-2014, 05:50 PM   #92
Forum Member
Craig66's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Far South Coast.(Saphire Coast) NSW. Australia
Posts: 86
K50 replacement/update, 20+ megapixels. Maybe the K-S1 is the K50 replacement ?

K-mount lenses. 70-200mmF2.8, 120-450mm
09-07-2014, 10:04 PM - 1 Like   #93
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 22
I hope that:

1. Pentax/Ricoh has taken out an "e-mount" licence (Inquiries and Applications for Disclosure of "E-mount" Basic Specifications)
2. They announce an A7 equivalent
3. They announce a K-mount adaptor (like the LA-EA4, but better integrated - e.g. fits such that it works as a complete whole with the new body)

This is likely to be more sustainable/commercially successful than a pure FF K-mount body.
09-08-2014, 12:04 AM   #94
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,336
I don't see Pentax paving the way for an en-masse migration to Sony, and I doubt it could be anything other than a complete disaster.

09-08-2014, 01:02 AM   #95
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 3,073
+1, and such a scheme would need Sony's Take over of Pentax as a first step.
09-08-2014, 01:41 AM   #96
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't see Pentax paving the way for an en-masse migration to Sony, and I doubt it could be anything other than a complete disaster.
I probably migrate to Nikon....
09-08-2014, 02:27 AM   #97
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,336
So would I (if I'd somehow get into an Alternate Universe in which Ricoh would be crazy enough to do such things).
What I was saying is that Ricoh/Pentax going E-mount and making A7 clones and K-mount adapters means: "we give up, please switch to Sony". People wanting this IMHO already decided to jump ship (and to which system), they just want an easy way out.
09-08-2014, 02:56 AM   #98
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,122
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What I was saying is that Ricoh/Pentax going E-mount and making A7 clones and K-mount adapters means: "we give up, please switch to Sony". People wanting this IMHO already decided to jump ship (and to which system), they just want an easy way out.
Depends how you look at it. Pentax customers that actually want/need a Sony-like solution are now being told: "We give up, don't expect us to catch up, please switch to Sony." And it's not THAT strange to use Sony or other off brand parts. Where do you think Pentax sensors come from? Memory? Processors?

I agree though, using the actual Sony mount is an unrealistic desire. But an A7-like solution from Pentax would be very interesting. They are bound to be able to improve on a lot of things. A Pentax A7 with good ergonomics, SR and better UI.

09-08-2014, 03:28 AM   #99
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,336
Indeed; if you already decided that Sony is a superior solution, that they're leading and the market should follow - then thinking that Pentax should forget about anything else for the privilege of being a Sony-copying also ran is natural.
But as I said, IMHO such people already made the decision to jump ship; why listen to them? Do you think they'll throw away their A7's and buy a more expensive Pentax? Do you think they want to buy new K-mount lenses?

Pentax using off brand parts has nothing to do with this.
09-08-2014, 03:57 AM   #100
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,122
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Indeed; if you already decided that Sony is a superior solution, that they're leading and the market should follow - then thinking that Pentax should forget about anything else for the privilege of being a Sony-copying also ran is natural.
But as I said, IMHO such people already made the decision to jump ship;
Very true, I admit.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
why listen to them?
Why listen to the people that preferred cars of horses? Digital audio over analog?

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Do you think they'll throw away their A7's and buy a more expensive Pentax? Do you think they want to buy new K-mount lenses?
Well I will... (Sans the throwing away part.) But I don't count because I've got camera buying addiction. I'd very much enjoy a Pentax DSLR verstion of the A7s. (For example.)


QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Pentax using off brand parts has nothing to do with this.
Off brand sensor, off brand memory chips, off brand mount. An off brand mount would just be another part that doesn't come from themselves. I don't see much difference. Just a larger impact.
09-08-2014, 05:45 AM   #101
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,336
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Why listen to the people that preferred cars of horses? Digital audio over analog?
Invalid analogy.
It's "buying customers" vs "people who already jumped ship".

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Well I will... (Sans the throwing away part.) But I don't count because I've got camera buying addiction. I'd very much enjoy a Pentax DSLR verstion of the A7s. (For example.)
Since there can't be "a Pentax DSLR version of the A7s" - those are conflicting ideas - I don't believe you

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Off brand sensor, off brand memory chips, off brand mount. An off brand mount would just be another part that doesn't come from themselves. I don't see much difference. Just a larger impact.
So there is no difference between not making every component in-house, and a strategic decision like giving up on your own mount in order to support a competitor's?
09-08-2014, 06:18 AM   #102
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,122
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Invalid analogy.
Since there can't be "a Pentax DSLR version of the A7s" - those are conflicting ideas - I don't believe you
Neh, you're just acting stupid again. At least, I hope so for your sake. I would simply love to see Pentax using that super sensitive A7S sensor in a Pentax DSLR.


QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
So there is no difference between not making every component in-house, and a strategic decision like giving up on your own mount in order to support a competitor's?
The very heart of the camera isn't even built in house, but sourced from Sony. If that is not an issue, why would a part like the mount system be one? It would only be beneficial for Pentax, adding new third party lens support to the system. Sony is the one that should object to such a deal, imho.
09-08-2014, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #103
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,433
For a Forum about Pentax we surely do spend a lot of time talking about Sony. And I Ignore the 'Other Brands' Forum.
09-08-2014, 06:49 AM   #104
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,336
Clavius, acting stupid? How nice of you to say that...
IMHO a Pentax camera using a Sony sensor is not a Pentax version of some Sony camera; the K-3 is not a Pentax version of the NEX-7. I'm not acting nor being stupid, it's you not being specific.

No, it's not Pentax getting third-party support, but Sony getting Pentax to support them. Whatever. As monochrome said, we're talking way too much about Sony.
09-08-2014, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #105
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,728
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Neh, you're just acting stupid again. At least, I hope so for your sake. I would simply love to see Pentax using that super sensitive A7S sensor in a Pentax DSLR.



The very heart of the camera isn't even built in house, but sourced from Sony. If that is not an issue, why would a part like the mount system be one? It would only be beneficial for Pentax, adding new third party lens support to the system. Sony is the one that should object to such a deal, imho.
The sensor is just a part that converts photons to a digital signal. In theory, it's interchangeable with other suppliers and therefore is not what makes "a Pentax a Pentax". OTOH, the K-mount is what defines the whole Pentax DSLR ecosystem. Without it, what's a Pentax?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, brand, camera, canon, crop, customers, da, expectations, ff, frame option, k-mount, lens, lenses, macro, nikon, olympus, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, people, photokina, photokina predictions, review, shutter, strategy, system, top, wedding
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thom Hogan's Photokina Predictions cali92rs Photographic Industry and Professionals 20 08-15-2014 12:47 PM
Official PF Photokina Meetup Adam Travel, Events, and Groups 42 09-26-2012 11:33 AM
Official Inception Hype Thread deadwolfbones General Talk 11 07-11-2010 07:07 AM
NFL Scores Predictions thread LeDave General Talk 9 11-18-2009 05:00 AM
The Official Canon Thread! jct us101 Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 75 09-22-2009 08:04 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:39 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top