Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What new products will Pentax unveil at Photokina 2014?
Entry-level DSLR 14444.86%
Mid-range DSLR 7222.43%
High-end APS-C DSLR 329.97%
The Pentax full frame DSLR! 9028.04%
Compact camera 3611.21%
High-end compact camera 5216.20%
K-mount lens 19159.50%
Q-mount lens 11134.58%
645-mount lens 8927.73%
Pentax accessory 5918.38%
New mirrorless camera 4614.33%
Full-frame mirrorless 3410.59%
Other (make a post!) 134.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 62 Likes Search this Thread
09-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #121
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
It should be pointed out the Digital audio is a storage solution and it degrades quality due to both compression and dynamic range. Its like the difference between a RAW file and a downsized Jpeg!

Even a modest 24-bit 44.1khz wav file has a theoretical S-n-R of 144 db vs. a vinyl record at maybe 80 db

Besides vinyl records as well as cassette tapes degrade over the number of plays of it. Your wav file or other digitally based format does not.

09-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #122

Photos: Gallery
my prediction: an announcement for 645 system and a consumer lens for K-mount ... and after photokina we will not be any wiser concerning full frame. they probably tell us that they are still looking into it and developing, but cannot say details about plans or release date.
09-08-2014, 11:38 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Oops was mixing up SnR with frequency response which is clipped in digital and unlimited in analog. I was talking about 16bit CDs and MP3, which obviously is perfectly acceptable for listening to autotuned pop songs!
We should probably just get back to camera stuff, if anyone wants to understand the pros and cons of analog vs digital then wikipedia is quite enlightening
Comparison of analog and digital recording - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
09-08-2014, 11:54 PM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
OTOH, the K-mount is what defines the whole Pentax DSLR ecosystem. Without it, what's a Pentax?
Ouch! So a Q and a 645D/Z are not Pentax?

Look at the M4/3 band of manufacturers for example. The various members that share the same mount still distinguish themselves enough. They bind their customers to their products without locking them in via an inexchangeble mount system.

09-08-2014, 11:56 PM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
We should probably just get back to camera stuff
Seconded good to see though that many here are interested in that kind of stuff
Whatever you are listening to, enjoy doing so
09-09-2014, 12:15 AM   #126
Banned

I find it quite interesting that they're dropping prices on the K-3 (including the prestige edition, which isn't even on the shelves yet).

Historically for Pentax, price drops usually indicate something new is imminent. In this case, a new K-mount flagship?
09-09-2014, 12:42 AM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
I find it quite interesting that they're dropping prices on the K-3 (including the prestige edition, which isn't even on the shelves yet).

Historically for Pentax, price drops usually indicate something new is imminent. In this case, a new K-mount flagship?
Would be fine for me!
Since the K-5IIs is fulfilling all my APS-C and WR demands, I saw no need to go for the K-3.
If however the new flagship should be FF, I might be tempted to use it with my precious FF lenses.
As none of them are WR, I even would be fine with a K-S1 style camera I guess...

09-09-2014, 01:56 AM   #128
Veteran Member

K-S1
New release of K50
16-85
12-28 rebadging from Tokina
Mirrorless FF (?)
09-09-2014, 04:42 AM   #129
Pentaxian

I'm hoping for a 135-540 WR or AW
09-09-2014, 05:19 AM   #130
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Ouch! So a Q and a 645D/Z are not Pentax?

Look at the M4/3 band of manufacturers for example. The various members that share the same mount still distinguish themselves enough. They bind their customers to their products without locking them in via an inexchangeble mount system.
Perhaps more accurately, the Q and 645 mounts don't define what a Pentax is. For example, if Pentax had never come out with the Q, it wouldn't have meant a thing regarding what people perceive a Pentax to be. With the 645, there are so few sold that they border on irrelevant to most camera users. By contrast, the K mount cameras are the heart and soul of the brand.
09-09-2014, 05:54 AM   #131
JPT
Pentaxian

Perhaps more accurately, the Q and 645 mounts don't define what a Pentax is. For example, if Pentax had never come out with the Q, it wouldn't have meant a thing regarding what people perceive a Pentax to be. With the 645, there are so few sold that they border on irrelevant to most camera users. By contrast, the K mount cameras are the heart and soul of the brand.
Well, I've had situations where I said I use Pentax and someone has automatically assumed I shoot medium format. So clearly in that person's mind K-mount was not essence of the brand. If you go to the Pentax Forum in Tokyo, you're more likely to see an exhibition of 645 landscape photos (often film) than anything else.
09-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #132
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have no hopes.
09-09-2014, 08:32 AM   #133

Photos: Albums
i would like a new high end compact, (perhaps a FF ricoh gr,if the price is right ), and maybe a new flagship apsc with better AF
09-10-2014, 05:50 AM   #134
Veteran Member

The sensor is just a part that converts photons to a digital signal.
Yes... The most important part, imho. Without the mount you can still ducttape the lenses to the camera. LOL! Something I actually did once in my younger years. I was trying to find out if a suitable adapter would be worth it.

In theory, it's interchangeable with other suppliers and therefore is not what makes "a Pentax a Pentax".
I wasn't saying the sensor is what brands the camera. Quite the opposite, I was arguing that if it's no big deal to source the most import part of a camera from a competitor, then logically using a competitors mount system would be even less of a problem.

OTOH, the K-mount is what defines the whole Pentax DSLR ecosystem. Without it, what's a Pentax?
Without the K-mount a Pentax camera is still a very high quality tool with very distinct features, very good user interface and exceptionally good ergonomics. If anything, the K-mount system doesn't bring anything to the table other then more restrictions in lens options, noisy screwdrive AF and incompatibility.
09-10-2014, 06:31 AM   #135
Pentaxian

This is the first time I hear K-mount brings "incompatibility"...