Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What new products will Pentax unveil at Photokina 2014?
Entry-level DSLR 14444.86%
Mid-range DSLR 7222.43%
High-end APS-C DSLR 329.97%
The Pentax full frame DSLR! 9028.04%
Compact camera 3611.21%
High-end compact camera 5216.20%
K-mount lens 19159.50%
Q-mount lens 11134.58%
645-mount lens 8927.73%
Pentax accessory 5918.38%
New mirrorless camera 4614.33%
Full-frame mirrorless 3410.59%
Other (make a post!) 134.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 62 Likes Search this Thread
09-10-2014, 06:43 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Yes... The most important part, imho. Without the mount you can still ducttape the lenses to the camera. LOL! Something I actually did once in my younger years. I was trying to find out if a suitable adapter would be worth it.

I wasn't saying the sensor is what brands the camera. Quite the opposite, I was arguing that if it's no big deal to source the most import part of a camera from a competitor, then logically using a competitors mount system would be even less of a problem.

Without the K-mount a Pentax camera is still a very high quality tool with very distinct features, very good user interface and exceptionally good ergonomics. If anything, the K-mount system doesn't bring anything to the table other then more restrictions in lens options, noisy screwdrive AF and incompatibility.
Doesn't that reduce a Pentax to little more than industrial design and firmware? As far as features go, Pentax doesn't have much of distinction over other manufacturers once you get beyond AA filter simulation, a feature apparently almost never used by most K-3 owners. As for compatibility, what about the million K-mount lenses in circulation?

09-10-2014, 07:03 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Sony Rumors:
"(SR5) Sony is preparing a BIG event in January! They will release a complete new generation of cameras with a new generation sensor. Cameras have those two features:
1) Very high resolution and dynamic range. One of them is a 46 megapixel FF sensor.
2) Very fast AF speed"

If Sony is rolling out a new generation of sensors in January, then it would make sense for Pentax to hold off on any release until the new technology is available.
09-10-2014, 07:14 AM   #138
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
[I]Sony Rumors:

If Sony is rolling out a new generation of sensors in January, then it would make sense for Pentax to hold off on any release until the new technology is available.
And it will be till eternity...It would have sense if Ricoh already had Digital FF body.
09-10-2014, 07:23 AM   #139
Veteran Member

If anything, the K-mount system doesn't bring anything to the table...
Well, except for all the unique K-mount lenses out there...?
My lenses are 5 times the value of my camera, at least. If you buy a camera only for the body and don't care about lenses, feel free to go with any system, as all will suck. A decent lens is almost always worth more than the body and should stay with you longer than the body...

09-10-2014, 07:27 AM   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Doesn't that reduce a Pentax to little more than industrial design and firmware? As far as features go, Pentax doesn't have much of distinction over other manufacturers once you get beyond AA filter simulation, a feature apparently almost never used by most K-3 owners. As for compatibility, what about the million K-mount lenses in circulation?
Don't forget IBIS... excepting Sony's SLT cameras, Pentax is the only DSLR to have IBIS.

---------- Post added 09-10-14 at 10:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
Well, except for all the unique K-mount lenses out there...?
My lenses are 5 times the value of my camera, at least. If you buy a camera only for the body and don't care about lenses, feel free to go with any system, as all will suck. A decent lens is almost always worth more than the body and should stay with you longer than the body...
There's a lot of good lenses out there, across all the brands. And K-mount lenses are usable to a degree on other bodies with an adapter.
09-10-2014, 07:49 AM   #141
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Doesn't that reduce a Pentax to little more than industrial design and firmware? As far as features go, Pentax doesn't have much of distinction over other manufacturers once you get beyond AA filter simulation, a feature apparently almost never used by most K-3 owners.
Yes, I recognize the lack of distictive features as one of their biggest problems for a while now. They let a lot of things slip away. They were the ones with the best bang to buck ratio. Not only bang to buck, but also best quality for the buck. Far from "cheap". They were the only ones with IBIS. They were the ones with lenses that were affordable because they didn't need stabilisation and motors in every lens.

As for compatibility, what about the million K-mount lenses in circulation?
Those million k-mount lenses are in the hands of users/collectors. Or available expensive second hand on E-bay. (The good ones.) The amount of new lenses readily available in stores though is abysmal. Third party support is small and still decreasing. And adapting lenses from other systems to K-mount is mostly impossible due to the large registration distance.

K-mount is a blessing to users that already have lots of K-mount lenses from their 30+ years with the system. That is very true. That group is not getting any bigger though. But to new customers, having a K-mount camera sure feels more like shooting yourself in the foot. I can imagine such a new customer being much more interested in cheaper systems that have a better lineup and that can still use those nice old Pentax lenses they found in dad's shoebox in the attic.
09-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #142
Veteran Member

Yes, I recognize the lack of distictive features as one of their biggest problems for a while now. They let a lot of things slip away. They were the ones with the best bang to buck ratio. Not only bang to buck, but also best quality for the buck. Far from "cheap". They were the only ones with IBIS. They were the ones with lenses that were affordable because they didn't need stabilisation and motors in every lens.
They still have superior finish in same price range and reliability than other cameras. They still offer WR on most bodies, even very affordable ones and they have a big range of WR lenses. They still offer a very compact design overall.

They offer very good OVF for the price, more photographic modes (like P, TAv & Sv) and good ergonomics. IBIS is not unique, but Canikon doesn't have it neither. Combined with the fast an efficient screw drive AF motor that allow for very small and compact range of lenses other just don't provide at least on reflex.

As for lens availability, I understand that new Sony E system is innovating, but there nothing available. No less.

Pentax strategy, like Sony, Canon, Nikon, Panasonic and so own are all building system where the entry level bodies are really cheap but the advanced bodies are expensive, and high quality lenses are even more expensives. Once one is invested into the system, it is costly and time consumming to change for another system. This protect their revenue stream as enthousiast and pro already on the system will likely continue on the system is there is no big incentive to do the contrary.

There the exemple of Canon that has not so good high isos sensor for a few years but that still manage to keep the market share because their lenses are great and because again, if you have lot of Canon stuff, the most logical is to continue with Canon.

This is economics. You can also make just lenses and throw away the body and release the lenses to everybody. In particular if I was Pentax and thinking of that, I would of course first target Canikon that has the biggest market share and not Sony. But mostly that a different business and only the small and high quality lenses like the limited would make sense from the actual line-up. I'am not sure they could be sold that much and even there would the problem of FF compatibility. On canikons, the model is to go FF when you are enthousiast so that remove all DA lenses...

No really I think Pentax has everything to loose in short term, and if they decide to do so, that a very different business where one of their asset to make good affordable bodies is not worse a penny anymore.

09-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #143
Pentaxian

Those million k-mount lenses are in the hands of users/collectors. Or available expensive second hand on E-bay. (The good ones.) The amount of new lenses readily available in stores though is abysmal. Third party support is small and still decreasing. And adapting lenses from other systems to K-mount is mostly impossible due to the large registration distance.

K-mount is a blessing to users that already have lots of K-mount lenses from their 30+ years with the system. That is very true. That group is not getting any bigger though. But to new customers, having a K-mount camera sure feels more like shooting yourself in the foot. I can imagine such a new customer being much more interested in cheaper systems that have a better lineup and that can still use those nice old Pentax lenses they found in dad's shoebox in the attic.
In other words, K-mount users are irrelevant and should be abandoned by Pentax - who should pursue e.g. Sony users instead.
Breaking news: people are buying new K-mount lenses every day. And - surprise - they're doing it willingly.
09-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #144

I hope a full frame with the same specs and (hopefullly a little less) pricing as the Nikon D750 rumors with a big buffer
09-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #145
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is the Pentax K-1 we.ve been waiting for.

QuoteOriginally posted by Serpiente Quote
I hope a full frame with the same specs and (hopefullly a little less) pricing as the Nikon D750 rumors with a big buffer
A K-3 with a larger sensor, Wi-Fi, Hinged LCD, better AF and - no IBIS, different ISO, (I bet) poly frame or TAv. Pentax is 'different.'
  • Nikon D750 FX 24.3 MP full frame sensor features compact, lightweight, energy efficient design, built-in flash double SD card slot
  • Tiltable 3.2-inch RGB monitor with approximately 1.2 million pixels
  • Robust design and sealing against weather influences
  • New, improved mirror / shutter mechanism
  • AF system with 51 focus areas
  • RGB sensor with approx 91,000 pixels and light-weighted metering option
  • Burst rate of 6.5 frames/s
  • 24.3-megapixel FX-format CMOS sensor
  • Image processor EXPEED 4
  • ISO 100-12,800 (expandable to 50-51200)
  • Effects Modes
  • Improved Picture Control
  • Full-HD video with 1080p at 24/25/30/50 / 60p
  • Improved functionality while filming
  • Integrated stereo microphone
  • Exposure preview and aperture control in Live View mode
  • Built-in Wi-Fi Professional Wireless communication via UT-1 and WT-5

Last edited by monochrome; 09-10-2014 at 03:54 PM.
09-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #146

Photos: Albums
I know "Pentax doesn't have enough lenses in their lineup" is "whine of the day" for many, but

what exactly is missing?
09-10-2014, 03:59 PM   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
A K-3 with a larger sensor, Wi-Fi, Hinged LCD, better AF and no IBIS, different ISO, (I bet) poly frame and TAv. Pentax is 'different.'
  • Nikon D750 FX 24.3 MP full frame sensor features compact, lightweight, energy efficient design, built-in flash double SD card slot
  • Tiltable 3.2-inch RGB monitor with approximately 1.2 million pixels
  • Robust design and sealing against weather influences
  • New, improved mirror / shutter mechanism
  • AF system with 51 focus areas
  • RGB sensor with approx 91,000 pixels and light-weighted metering option
  • Burst rate of 6.5 frames/s
  • 24.3-megapixel FX-format CMOS sensor
  • Image processor EXPEED 4
  • ISO 100-12,800 (expandable to 50-51200)
  • Effects Modes
  • Improved Picture Control
  • Full-HD video with 1080p at 24/25/30/50 / 60p
  • Improved functionality while filming
  • Integrated stereo microphone
  • Exposure preview and aperture control in Live View mode
  • Built-in Wi-Fi Professional Wireless communication via UT-1 and WT-5
I predict what he said.

EXCEPT mirrorless design and EVF. 10 fps. 24mp sensor. WIFI to any relatively modern smart phone. Can operate and change focus on the smart phone like i can now do with my Nex6. (tethering) As quiet or quieter than K3, K5.
09-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #148
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I predict what he said.

EXCEPT mirrorless design and EVF. 10 fps. 24mp sensor. WIFI to any relatively modern smart phone. Can operate and change focus on the smart phone like i can now do with my Nex6. (tethering) As quiet or quieter than K3, K5.
I agree on the mirrorless, but you do understand that Nikon is ABOUT TO RELEASE what most thought the K-1 would be, right? I listed the rumored spec.s for the D750.

Nikon just filled the space that was open for Pentax

D6x0
D7x0
D8x0
09-10-2014, 05:37 PM   #149
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by karro Quote
I know "Pentax doesn't have enough lenses in their lineup" is "whine of the day" for many, but

what exactly is missing?
Cheap DAL ultrawide, faster DA* primes and zooms, and various super telephoto zooms would be nice.

Weather Sealing on all but the DALs would be super too.. if not all lenses.

---------- Post added 09-10-14 at 07:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I agree on the mirrorless, but you do understand that Nikon is ABOUT TO RELEASE what most thought the K-1 would be, right? I listed the rumored spec.s for the D750.

Nikon just filled the space that was open for Pentax

D6x0
D7x0
D8x0
*snaps fingers* aww man... well let the FF r&d team know it is a wash.
09-10-2014, 05:54 PM   #150
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
*snaps fingers* aww man... well let the FF r&d team know it is a wash.
Too late. I think they already know. Sent some guy in NZ a letter - "no plans to release a FF [EDIT: DSLR] at this time."

Last edited by monochrome; 09-11-2014 at 06:10 AM.