Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What new products will Pentax unveil at Photokina 2014?
Entry-level DSLR 14444.86%
Mid-range DSLR 7222.43%
High-end APS-C DSLR 329.97%
The Pentax full frame DSLR! 9028.04%
Compact camera 3611.21%
High-end compact camera 5216.20%
K-mount lens 19159.50%
Q-mount lens 11134.58%
645-mount lens 8927.73%
Pentax accessory 5918.38%
New mirrorless camera 4614.33%
Full-frame mirrorless 3410.59%
Other (make a post!) 134.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #301
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice of them to give Pentax a pat on the head and a DPR atta-boy.

09-21-2014, 02:55 AM   #302
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The bliss of an ad blocker.
Oh yeah... Wait !

An ad? on DPR?

GEEEEZ !!
09-21-2014, 04:24 AM   #303
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I think their line up of new lenses is going to be winning a few more Fuji-X adepts:

16-55 F2.8
18-135mm
50-140mm
140-400mm .... (I would like to see this in K-mount)

Well ... that is very interesting now , isn't it?
Interesting, maybe.
But i still prefer the global ergonomy, the power autonomy, the IBIS, the tremendous backward compatibility, the old and stiil good legacy lenses, the OVF/LV choice a reflex leaves to you versus always lagging EVF, and the reasonnable pricing of Pentax lenses and bodies.
+ Not to forget, XF mount is NOT FF compatible.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 09-21-2014 at 04:47 AM.
09-21-2014, 07:05 AM   #304
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Interesting, maybe.
But i still prefer the global ergonomy, the power autonomy, the IBIS, the tremendous backward compatibility, the old and stiil good legacy lenses, the OVF/LV choice a reflex leaves to you versus always lagging EVF, and the reasonnable pricing of Pentax lenses and bodies.
140-400 on a Fuji?
Apart the X-T1, I don't see any Fuji cam with such a lens near steady without heavy (neither would a Sony btw)

09-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #305
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
140-400 on a Fuji?
Apart the X-T1, I don't see any Fuji cam with such a lens near steady without heavy (neither would a Sony btw)
Thank goodness for that X-T1 then...it balances quite well with larger lenses especially with a grip
There is an X-Pro2 in works (the X-Pro1 is also a larger body which handles larger lenses nicely).
There are a slew of primes for the smaller cams. Horses for courses and it is nice to have the options available.

I've never understood the attitude of giving consumers fewer choices and then trying to convince the consumer why what they want is wrong. Of course the kool-aid drinkers will believe whatever the company says and spread their gospel for them.

Pentax does the same thing....would you want to mount your DA*300mm on a K-01? It wouldn't be ideal, that's why there are K-5s and K-3s.

Last edited by cali92rs; 09-22-2014 at 10:20 AM.
09-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #306
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Interesting, maybe.
You realize that every Pentax lense works on the Fuji (minus AF), right? That a lot of the 'old and still good legacy lenses' actually works properly on a non-Pentax 'crippled K' host? My X-T1 behaves more like my ME Super with an A series lens mounted than any current Pentax digital body. That would be an ME Super with focus peaking, a tilt screen and configurable WYSIWYG exposure in the viewfinder.

If you're talking backwards compatibility, which Pentax body is backwards compatible with all old Pentax glass, plus Leica//Nikon/Olympus/Contax lenses? Oh yeah, the Q. So there you go.
09-22-2014, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #307
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
You realize that every Pentax lense works on the Fuji (minus AF), right? That a lot of the 'old and still good legacy lenses' actually works properly on a non-Pentax 'crippled K' host? My X-T1 behaves more like my ME Super with an A series lens mounted than any current Pentax digital body. That would be an ME Super with focus peaking, a tilt screen and configurable WYSIWYG exposure in the viewfinder.

If you're talking backwards compatibility, which Pentax body is backwards compatible with all old Pentax glass, plus Leica//Nikon/Olympus/Contax lenses? Oh yeah, the Q. So there you go.
Geez using old lenses on mirrorless (whatever the brand) is like a geek's computer.
It's very nice and fancy but it is the exception. On those users are satisfied the body doesn't sell (as any body from any brand) and you don't sell lenses 'cos your fracking (sorry, BattleStar Gallactica as of late) users use... old lenses.

Quick money is on the bodies.
Real money is on the lenses. Something Sony still did not get.

09-22-2014, 10:51 AM   #308
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are aware that my old and still good Monte Carlo backtest simulator running on a new HP box works just fine in Win7 (in a virtual XP machine running in split clock cycles under the Win7 Host) as long as I don't need to transfer output out of the virtual machine into a Host application aren't you?
09-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #309
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Geez using old lenses on mirrorless (whatever the brand) is like a geek's computer.
It's very nice and fancy but it is the exception. On those users are satisfied the body doesn't sell (as any body from any brand) and you don't sell lenses 'cos your fracking (sorry, BattleStar Gallactica as of late) users use... old lenses.

Quick money is on the bodies.
Real money is on the lenses. Something Sony still did not get.
Not sure what your point is. My point was if your claim to fame is all your legacy glass, a decent percentage of which is MF, other people run that glass as well or better than you. Sure, the only people that matters to are camera geeks, therefore they're the only relevant audience for that topic.

If you're talking about what drives profit, then sure, lens sales do, but that's really a separate topic. And on that topic, legacy glass is a problem, because it means people can buy lenses from someone other than you. And the lens compatibility of MILCs breaks mount lock-in and makes taking a flier on buying into a new system easier. Would I have bought into another mount if I had to re-buy all of my glass to have an effective system? Probably not. I did the math and it would have been a $5-7K move for me building a competent system all at once. As I was, I could buy a body and a prime, and leverage my existing Pentax glass, which made it a $1.5k trial (less than that because I could have recouped some on trade if I hadn't liked it). Much more palatable. And then they sold me 2 more bodies and 3 more lenses, because when I'm lazy I want AF. Yep, they work the same why as everyone else.

I personally know a decent number of other photographers that have moved into Fuji, Sony, or Oly systems via that same route. No sure how much of an exception is is.

---------- Post added 09-22-2014 at 02:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You are aware that my old and still good Monte Carlo backtest simulator running on a new HP box works just fine in Win7 (in a virtual XP machine running in split clock cycles under the Win7 Host) as long as I don't need to transfer output out of the virtual machine into a Host application aren't you?
The problem is you're running an abstraction layer rather than a direct physical interface. Even so, depending on the VM host you should be able to redirect an interface in the guest and at least spool the data out.
09-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #310
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
The problem is you're running an abstraction layer rather than a direct physical interface. Even so, depending on the VM host you should be able to redirect an interface in the guest and at least spool the data out.
Part of the reason Pentax has waited so long, I believe, to build a FF camera is to allow digital technology to advance enough that manual focus legacy K-mount lenses are no longer able to compete with the best digital-optimized lenses Pentax can make. At one time my Tamron SP90/2.5 Macro with 1:1 matched Extender was among the sharpest macro lenses available. Now it is a challenge to use without causing a sensor ghost - essentially strobe on a macro shot isn't possible.

If that is true then a MILC with adapter to mount K or M or A lenses is a toy for old-man hobbyists, who will all be dead in ten years and even now are beyond (or nearly so) their acquisitive years. Don't discount the ageing of the Baby Boom here and in Japan as causal in Ricoh's timing.

Using an F or FA AF lens on an MILC with an adapter (defeating entirely the AF capability of the lens) is ludicrous when a modern APSc or FF body is available to use the lens native - and even then, a modern lens will be a better choice unless the shooter specifically wants a classic film-era effect with soft edges rather than a modern MTF microcontrast rated lens.

The real point of a mirrorless camera is portability both for the body and the lenses. EVF's don't measure up. Adapters don't measure up. Ergonomics don't measure up. Arguing 'mine is better than yours' misses the point entirely.

If small is good then Pentax has a strong competitive reason to continue making small dSLR's with small, exquisite lenses like the DA Limiteds. Such a package competes well on a size and weight basis and wins on the OVF and ergonomics. And the image quality.

FF - we'll just need to wait a few months to see what comes out of Sebu.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-22-2014 at 11:42 AM.