Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2008, 02:28 AM   #16
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chocolar Quote
Your thread title is very MISLEADING! You are talking about stolen lens and you concluded that "Pentax has no any inspection system at lens plants in Vietnam."? It should have said:" Pentax has no SECURITY system at lens plants in Vietnam".
I used to work for Ricoh USA in their imaging division and security is very loose, they 're very naive about employee theft, that's japanese culture. Anyway, they ended up spending US500k installing security/camera system after some guy stole a 4kg industrial-grade block of gold from a plating machine.
No. I say about QC. Security control is the second question.
I understand now that man who said about NO QC, said silly things.

05-11-2008, 09:51 AM   #17

QC invovles many things...
Checking every lens they won't do, I assume it is too expensive.
05-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jake123 Quote
It's not exaggerated to say that all lenses go through a machine-guided quality test, do you think they would let a lens with broken glass or bad misalignment slip out? It probably IS expensive from one man's perspective, but for a businness it's just another cost to factor in.
05-14-2008, 12:08 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jake123 Quote
I worked in a factory environment for a period when I was young, and I can honestly say that we visually inspected each and every item as it left the machines.

At these factories we didn't have the time to test every product,however the visual inspection weeded out 90+% of the defective items.

I really can't see most factories doing much differently, if they want to succeed with their business.

05-14-2008, 07:30 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just watched "Manufactured Landscapes", the documentary about the photographer Ed Burtynsky.

It opens with a long sequence in an ENORMOUS factory, somewhere in China. The factory was making irons (like to iron your clothes). There was one person responsible for putting each individual spray nozzel onto a hose of water to QC the spraying. If they QC a tiny sprayer in a $25 iron, I'm sure $1000 lenses get a pretty thorough QC.