Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2008, 12:35 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax has no any inspection system at lens plants in Vietnam. Is it true?

One man from russian forum said that
Pentax has no any control/check/inspection at lens plants in Vietnam. Is it true?
It seems to me, it's nonsense.
Any plant, especially which make high-technological production, has final quality control. He said that all lenses go to the shops directly from plant without any check at all.

There is Vietnamese who sale lenses from Pentax's plant under low price in Moscow. I think this lenses are stolen from plant. Does it mean that there is no control?
Can anybody to clear this situation?

Last edited by ogl; 05-10-2008 at 01:24 AM.
05-10-2008, 01:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really really really really doubt there is no QC in the plant.
05-10-2008, 02:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Anybody from anywhere can post BS on the internet and call it true. Without verifiable proof of this or any other claim I wouldn't even post this question.

If you think it's stolen gear then I'd write Pentax with any details you have and help them track down the criminals. Get the guy to send you some pictures of the lenses with serial numbers and report them back to Pentax. That would be responsible if you like the brand.
05-10-2008, 02:08 AM   #4
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
I doubt too

05-10-2008, 02:16 AM   #5
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Anybody from anywhere can post BS on the internet and call it true. Without verifiable proof of this or any other claim I wouldn't even post this question.

If you think it's stolen gear then I'd write Pentax with any details you have and help them track down the criminals. Get the guy to send you some pictures of the lenses with serial numbers and report them back to Pentax. That would be responsible if you like the brand.
I'm not in Moscow. This Vietnamese let to check lenses before buying
and prices in Russia for Pentax's lenses are very high. I'm not sure that somebody help me and inform serial numbers of lenses. The people want to buy good quality and not expensive lenses.

Maybe he bought lenses at the plant. I don't know.
But it's well-known fact - the lenses are without any packing with serial numbers.

The question is another - is there QC from Pentax in Vietnam or not?
05-10-2008, 02:24 AM   #6
Inactive Account

You can bet the farm there is QC at the plant. Knowing the way these people work and the ethics they put into the products they make I would bet the farm on a very good QC inspection.
And those Lenses getting to Russia are probably the ones taken off the line as defective and some one has stolen them and put them on the Russian market so they can make a quick buck.
05-10-2008, 02:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
And those Lenses getting to Russia are probably the ones taken off the line as defective and some one has stolen them and put them on the Russian market so they can make a quick buck.
Interesting angle. Hadn't thought of that before.

05-10-2008, 02:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

That would make perfect sense if there's no packing or boxes with 'new' lenses. Not worth a dime no matter what you think you're saving.
05-10-2008, 03:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Why should anyone do that? We, in the Eastern Europe, are feeling robbed out by manufacturers and retailers (Pentax included), so we are just happy when there's opportunity to buy stuff cheaper. When Pentax makes prices here as low as in USA probably we won't need those Vietnamese with cheap lenses without packaging
05-10-2008, 03:37 AM   #10
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
You can bet the farm there is QC at the plant. Knowing the way these people work and the ethics they put into the products they make I would bet the farm on a very good QC inspection.
Maybe. I remember that the same scheme was at Intel's factories in 90-years.
And the processors were sent to non-european and to asian countries as oem and then some companies made PC there for sale.

Last edited by ogl; 05-11-2008 at 02:19 AM.
05-10-2008, 07:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'd love to have some blemished lenses slipped my way.
There's a decent chance that it'd only be cosmetic and on the body, I could live with that.
05-10-2008, 09:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I'm not in Moscow. This Vietnamese let to check lenses before buying
and prices in Russia for Pentax's lenses are very high. I'm not sure that somebody help me and inform serial numbers of lenses. The people want to buy good quality and not expensive lenses.

Maybe he bought lenses at the plant. I don't know.
But it's well-known fact - the lenses are without any packing with serial numbers.

The question is another - is there QC from Pentax in Vietnam or not?
Right, that's not the question. You want to know if your pirated products passed QC, that's the question

You can bet your bum even your shirt buttons manufactured in China by people earning $1 a day go through some kind of quality control.
05-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

All manufacturing has QA/QC

There is no way (0%) that any product is going to leave a manufacturing plant without QA/QC. It certainly is possible that failed lenses are sneaking out of the plant.

Items are stolen, often at production, but this is taken seriously by all levels of management and can't occur in large quantities without some form of cover up from local management.

There is a significant capital output to make a lens and if someone is going to notice if they purchase 10,000 blanks, but can only account for 9,000.
05-10-2008, 01:08 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

One man from russian forum said that
Pentax has no any control/check/inspection at lens plants in Vietnam. Is it true?
It seems to me, it's nonsense.
Any plant, especially which make high-technological production, has final quality control. He said that all lenses go to the shops directly from plant without any check at all.

There is Vietnamese who sale lenses from Pentax's plant under low price in Moscow. I think this lenses are stolen from plant. Does it mean that there is no control?
Can anybody to clear this situation?
Your thread title is very MISLEADING! You are talking about stolen lens and you concluded that "Pentax has no any inspection system at lens plants in Vietnam."? It should have said:" Pentax has no SECURITY system at lens plants in Vietnam".
I used to work for Ricoh USA in their imaging division and security is very loose, they 're very naive about employee theft, that's japanese culture. Anyway, they ended up spending US500k installing security/camera system after some guy stole a 4kg industrial-grade block of gold from a plating machine.
05-11-2008, 02:24 AM   #15
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
I worked one time with Chinese unknown factories - there is QC.
As for brands - there is QC with several levels. Anyway, there is "human factor" and production's defects.