Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2014, 08:43 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Miki Yoshihito:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7940758@N07/4486792572

---------- Post added 08-27-14 at 10:38 AM ----------

With the interchangeable lenses, it would take a waterproof housing to do that.
I am tempted by the Nikon AW1, with interchangeable lenses, but would prefer the user interface of a real Pentax.

08-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
but will it sell? Does the AW1 sell?
I have no idea! Maybe a more conservative solution (a WG with just a larger sensor) will be easier to sell?
08-27-2014, 11:57 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I am tempted by the Nikon AW1, with interchangeable lenses, but would prefer the user interface of a real Pentax.
Me too, the AW1 and Nikon's 1 interface in general is well... annoying
08-27-2014, 06:14 PM   #34
Banned

Instead of enabling RAW and give us the opportunity to waste more precious time developing files, why Ricoh would not pull up their sleeves and deliver us a modern, top-class JPEG engine, on par with Fuji's for example? Even Leica nowadays has a JPEG engine far superior to Pentax's or Ricoh's.
Again guys, you are asking for a wrong thing. Both Pentax and Ricoh will not move one inch forward with status-quo requests like yours. Pressure them, and they may start listening.

08-28-2014, 12:22 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
First I don't think calling others whishes 'wrong' will do anything but get you slaps (I would if those wishes were mine)
Second, implying your wishes are correct, if typical of you, isn't going to fix a thing.
Third, you puti a lot of pressure, at least on a couple of forum member's mind. I don't believe you may have managed any influence to Ricoh though.
The point is, if it isn't to influence Ricoh, your constant whining is of little help.
08-28-2014, 12:33 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
First I don't think calling others whishes 'wrong' will do anything but get you slaps (I would if those wishes were mine)
Second, implying your wishes are correct, if typical of you, isn't going to fix a thing.
Third, you puti a lot of pressure, at least on a couple of forum member's mind. I don't believe you may have managed any influence to Ricoh though.
The point is, if it isn't to influence Ricoh, your constant whining is of little help.
Agreed. If this is your (Uluru) tactics it is far closer to beeing annoying here than effective in the Ricoh office. At least my POV. Greetings
08-28-2014, 02:48 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It seems like every new model has to have a '1' in it all of a sudden (Q-S1, K-S1, WG-M1, X-G1). Perhaps there will be a K-1 at photokina
Kind of caught on with this too, especially when the K-S1 leaks came out. Two can be a coincidence, but three made a pattern (first XG-1, then Q-S1, then.... K-S1. Only the 645Z was different-it's the end of the alphabet!)

08-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Kind of caught on with this too, especially when the K-S1 leaks came out. Two can be a coincidence, but three made a pattern (first XG-1, then Q-S1, then.... K-S1. Only the 645Z was different-it's the end of the alphabet!)
So then what will happen to the MX-1?

I really wanted a second gen of that camera...
08-28-2014, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The age old benefit of RAW file is that I am retaining more data. Why should I decimate my colors from 2^12 per channel to 2^8? It's like throwing away my negatives and only keeping my prints. I might have spent $2k - $3k to go on an extraordinary once in a lifetime adventure or vacation. I've dunked, snorkeled, swam, etc in places that even multi-millionaire celebrities dream about. There may never be another chance in my life for it to happen again. The last thing I want to do is give up is data. Why should I throw away what it naturally creates?

I can view the RAW file on my LCD on location and when I come home I can always open the RAW file for a quick instantaneous preview to show my coworkers. After that I can pick and choose which images I really want to develop.

Otherwise, if you want JPG then set the camera to JPG and let it do its thing - which is what it has been doing for the masses for years.
08-29-2014, 07:20 AM   #40
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ayoh Quote
This camera will also be future proof as technology shifts more towards mirrorless in the future.
Oh yes - I've heard about that shift. For years.
08-29-2014, 07:51 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Shifting in progress, 17.3% completed
08-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #42
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
It seems dinosaurs don't like challenging views so much, but like to live in complacency. Until an asteroid hits them.

Leave Ricoh to implement RAW (which is easier to do than work on rapid evolution of software), and let them think that only valid inputs come from Pentax geeks who love massaging RAWs in their desktop applications, and that will seal their fate.

One of overwhelming reasons Fujiflm cameras are becoming popular is because their JPEG engine is so good that one can shoot JPEGs straightaway and all day and be very happy with them. The hassle is reduced. THAT is a great part of Fujifilm's long-term strategy to win over both older and modern audience that likes some hints of the past, but heaps of convenience an quality of today. And more than anything, more time spent shooting, not developing.

Which some Pentax users from the Jurassic era don't seem to understand.
08-29-2014, 08:35 PM   #43
Veteran Member

A FF with full features at a sub 2k price would outperform Nikon and Canon. They hold back features to not impact the higher end cameras. Pentax could use this to their advantage by releasing a no-features-left-behind weather sealed FF at a good price point. I do think the time is right and it would sell well. A bunch of us would likely buy one immediately.

Sony A7 series are nice but there are very few lenses out and they are very expensive. The D610 is basically a D7100 with a FF sensor in it. The 6d has a ridiculously basic AF system. Pentax could beat that with a K3 body with a FF sensor.

---------- Post added 08-29-2014 at 09:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
One of overwhelming reasons Fujiflm cameras are becoming popular is because their JPEG engine is so good that one can shoot JPEGs straightaway and all day and be very happy with them. The hassle is reduced. THAT is a great part of Fujifilm's long-term strategy to win over both older and modern audience that likes some hints of the past, but heaps of convenience an quality of today. And more than anything, more time spent shooting, not developing.

This is very true. I spend little time post processing my Fuji Jpeg's. I don't bother with RAW as they are that good. I always shoot RAW and post process to get color/contrast right with the K5.
08-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
It seems dinosaurs don't like challenging views so much, but like to live in complacency. Until an asteroid hits them.

Leave Ricoh to implement RAW (which is easier to do than work on rapid evolution of software), and let them think that only valid inputs come from Pentax geeks who love massaging RAWs in their desktop applications, and that will seal their fate.

Would it be too much to ask for both? I understand the benefits of better jpegs, but for some things I'd really want a durable camera that can shoot raws as well for specific things.
08-30-2014, 05:54 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
So then what will happen to the MX-1?

I really wanted a second gen of that camera...
Hmm, that came out way earlier and might have been the "prototype" for Ricoh's "testing the waters" phase for premium compacts. It's also weird because many thought compacts would be shifted to Ricoh, with products like the GR. I guess the MX-1 is the first and last of that line.... it seemed to be an answer to the low-end Fuji's by slapping real brass on top and bottom but the market didn't seem so enthusiastic about it.

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
Sony A7 series are nice but there are very few lenses out and they are very expensive. The D610 is basically a D7100 with a FF sensor in it. The 6d has a ridiculously basic AF system. Pentax could beat that with a K3 body with a FF sensor.
In specifications and probably performance yes. But sales... a definite no. Pentax has to do a lot more than make superior cameras in order to grab a significant chunk of market share from Canikon.