Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2014, 02:54 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh WG-M1 coming?

According to a story on digicame-info, a digital camera by the name of Ricoh WG-M1 has been registered with an Indonesian government agency.

???????????????????????????WG-M1???? - ????info

Translated
(?) New Tafukamera Ricoh "WG-M1" is registered in the authentication authority of Indonesia - digital camera info

There's no information beyond the model number, but we know that WG is a brand for tough cameras. The WG4 isn't an old camera and not due for replacement, so I guess it's an entirely new model or a successor to the Ricoh G700.

08-26-2014, 03:06 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It seems like every new model has to have a '1' in it all of a sudden (Q-S1, K-S1, WG-M1, X-G1). Perhaps there will be a K-1 at photokina

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-26-2014, 03:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

'1'... as in "Pentax, a new beginning"?

Well, I'm sure we'll see the K-S1 at Photokina
08-26-2014, 04:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian

K-lx1

08-26-2014, 05:05 AM   #5
Banned

An avalanche of unimportant and boring rebadged cameras from Ricoh.
All this is playing from a safe distance; endless entry and low level cameras forgotten before they're launched.

PS. K-S1 looks slightly more interesting though, yet still unofficial.

---------- Post added 08-26-2014 at 10:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote

There's no information beyond the model number, but we know that WG is a brand for tough cameras. The WG4 isn't an old camera and not due for replacement, so I guess it's an entirely new model or a successor to the Ricoh G700.
It is rebadged Pentax, which was basically same for the last 3 years anyway. Now it's a third iteration of the same.
Like in case of Q, nothing really new or worth mentioning except for the colour scheme each new season.
08-26-2014, 05:30 AM   #6
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It seems like every new model has to have a '1' in it all of a sudden (Q-S1, K-S1, WG-M1, X-G1). Perhaps there will be a K-1 at photokina
haha that is the spirit!

If they do, I suspect, it will be under the heading of 'experimental technology' or the like... basically a mockup/prototype like they did in 2000. Mostly to quiet the squeaky wheels as well as gauge interest..
08-26-2014, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
If they do, I suspect, it will be under the heading of 'experimental technology' or the like... basically a mockup/prototype like they did in 2000. Mostly to quiet the squeaky wheels as well as gauge interest..
I don't accept a mockup/prototype. Either the real deal or... nothing and I'll buy a Canon 5D MkII until Ricoh gets their act together.

08-26-2014, 06:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I don't accept a mockup/prototype. Either the real deal or... nothing and I'll buy a Canon 5D MkII until Ricoh gets their act together.
I don't think they're THAT tight-lipped. No FF rumors worth mentioning for a long time. I think that even a prototype is too much to hope for at Photokina.
08-26-2014, 06:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

They seem to like to hold stuff close to their chest. I'm betting a teaser for 35mm format. I'm gonna guess a fall 2015 release for a FF
08-26-2014, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I don't think there will be full frame DSLR from Pentax. They are very late to a stagnant market with minimum lens support and have entrenched competition. It does not make economic sense. They also structured all marketing material regarding the 645Z around how it is better than the FF.

One option which i think would make sense is a mirrorless FF Ricoh camera. Considering how popular the Sony A7 series is, it seems like Ricoh could do what they do well with the GR and offer some competition (which Sony currently doesn't have in FF mirrorless). The other mirrorless makers are all committed to their <FF lens mounts. Nikon and Canon will protect their FF DSLR market. Ricoh has little to lose as the camera will slot in above APS-C DSLR offerings avoiding cost pressures. The unique differentiator could be in-body SR and superior ergonomics and build compared to Sony. This way they can also target a bigger market based on adapted lenses (like Leica on the GXR) and not need a large lens line up to start. The camera could also of course have a dedicated adapter to use Pentax lenses. This camera will also be future proof as technology shifts more towards mirrorless in the future. This makes business sense, a full-frame DSLR I am not sure about.
08-26-2014, 07:36 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ayoh Quote
i don't think there will be full frame dslr from pentax. They are very late to a stagnant market with minimum lens support and have entrenched competition. It does not make economic sense. They also structured all marketing material regarding the 645z around how it is better than the ff.

One option which i think would make sense is a mirrorless ff ricoh camera. Considering how popular the sony a7 series is, it seems like ricoh could do what they do well with the gr and offer some competition (which sony currently doesn't have in ff mirrorless). The other mirrorless makers are all committed to their <ff lens mounts. Nikon and canon will protect their ff dslr market. Ricoh has little to lose as the camera will slot in above aps-c dslr offerings avoiding cost pressures. The unique differentiator could be in-body sr and superior ergonomics and build compared to sony. This way they can also target a bigger market based on adapted lenses (like leica on the gxr) and not need a large lens line up to start. The camera could also of course have a dedicated adapter to use pentax lenses. This camera will also be future proof as technology shifts more towards mirrorless in the future. This makes business sense, a full-frame dslr i am not sure about.
+1000

But this if confirmed, will of course accelerate K-Mount's extinction... or at least depletion (cheapest entry models like K-S1 will rule... fewer new lenses...)
08-26-2014, 07:41 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
They seem to like to hold stuff close to their chest. I'm betting a teaser for 35mm format. I'm gonna guess a fall 2015 release for a FF
Some time between now and April. Exiting dSLR K-mount market (no FF) contradicts the oft-stated strategy to be the third (alternative) full-line camera brand in the marketplace.

Not saying they haven't changed their strategy, just that they would have to change their strategy to diminish K-mount. As recently as April, 2013, direct from Pentax lips to my personal ears, and I quote, "Pentax is committed to K-mount, Q and 645. There is a full frame camera, but not soon. Be patient"

Last edited by monochrome; 08-26-2014 at 07:48 AM.
08-26-2014, 07:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Some time between now and April.
for release? maybe... but I doubt it. I think a firm announcement between now and April.
08-26-2014, 07:53 AM   #14
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thread derailed before it even cleared the platform!

Anyway, I think there are a lot of possibilities for tough cameras positioned above the WG-4. I think a fixed lens rugged camera with an APS-C or 1-inch sensor would be pretty interesting.

---------- Post added 08-27-14 at 12:07 AM ----------

It could equally be new version of their camera aimed at the construction market.
???????????????? G700 / ??????? | ???

This camera is also sold in some major camera stores, not just B2B.

Last edited by JPT; 08-26-2014 at 08:07 AM.
08-26-2014, 08:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

This is definitely Ricoh's mark of 'new era'. Everything starts over with 1.