Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #151
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
I both agree and disagree with the consensus here.

This camera addresses at least two -- I remain skeptical about the viewfinder. It is surely faster than their old P&S, but maybe not fast enough.

BUT -- I don't think they went far enough. I don't see the actual need for a touchscreen, but it would be a good selling point. And it should definitely have WiFi and maybe even apps to upload to FB/Twitter/Instagram/etc. That would be the P&S killer and the ultimate bridge camera.
How do you mean that? What can be faster than an optical viewfinder?

But I agree on the wifi-part. At least they could bundle it with the flu-card at no additional cost, would be fair enough.

08-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #152
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I looked at that X100 review and it looks like the RAW files just stay at ISO 1600 which was probably the camera's max. The X100s max's at iso 6400 in RAW but the Jpegs go to 25600 with excellent results.
...So then they were lying when they said that had ISO 12800 capability. I don't want a JPG pushed four stops from native 1600, which itself was really only ISO 1000.

I didn't know about this ISO debacle until you guys started pointing it out. Fuji seems to have burned a few of you for life!
Life is a long time, I hope. Things could change.

In the meantime I certainly am not going to purchase from a company that is actively hiding their true specifications from me. No thanks.

---------- Post added 08-30-14 at 06:52 PM ----------

Same settings on k5 and x100s give very similar exposure, am I missing something? Same shutter, same aperture, same iso. I guess I'm not thinking or seeing.
Perhaps you could try, on a tripod of a still scene:

ISO100 on both
ISO400 on both
ISO1600 on both
ISO6400 on both
ISO12800 on both

and post the raw files? I don't know the T-stop of any Fuji lenses but it'd be nice if they could be similar.

On the X100, fuji was "only" lying by 2/3rds of a stop up to ISO1600. It was past that point that they really started fantasy-settings.
08-30-2014, 06:57 PM   #153
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
At least they could bundle it with the flu-card at no additional cost, would be fair enough.
Except it isn't free and won't be free. There's no such thing as 'at no cost'. They'll raise the price of some other part (like the entire camera) to compensate, or delete something else that has a cost. That something else might be the something else I want - and when I want Wi-Fi I'll get a FluCard (if my Eye-Fi card stops working for me)..
08-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #154
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Have any one notes that the are no women discussing K-S1 design, just bunch of dudes...
Was wondering about that myself. I think it looks nice, I like the lines of it and that it doesn't look blob like, the line of led's? Well I can see how the younger crowd would like this and maybe some of the older crowd. I haven't modified my vehicle with led's under it either, lol, I don't even have a makeup mirror with the row of lights down each side. I like the way cameras used to look and I like the way the K3 looks, the lines, the performance, and even the weight of it. But the younger crowd likes shiny, painted, and 'blinkie lights'.
Electronic gadgets are full of blinkie lights nowadays. Car headlights are even different shades of violet and blue. Even if the lights are for a function I would prefer a dot of light but hey different is not bad, it's just someone else's preference. My mom seen me watching the commercial that was not in English and she said "What is that?" Then I told her that it was a new Pentax and it was for people that want to learn a DSLR but were used to iPhones smart phones and point and shoot, hence less physical buttons but key pad, She said "that looks nice, I like that, how much?" She was actually pulling out a credit card, so there is some kind of appeal to the "born in 1944 female that never used a DSLR but used to seeing their daughter with one crowd". If she springs for that I hope it has a 'green mode or comparible program because I will be the one learning how to show her how to work it. She like the idea of changing lenses. Sheesh, I'll have to hide my lenses. (hey, on the win side, if she hates it she might give it to me) wish it were WR though.

08-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I ge that and I said so - I was responding to IchabodCrane. WiFi isn't as cheap as we think - something else has to be deleted to keep the price down. SO which of the distinguishing elements of Pentax character should they remove - or should they price a Pentax up - and how does this tiny company (within Ricoh cameras are tiny) pay for advertising to support sell-through? And keep the price down?
It has to be cheap as camera producers are adding it to successor models without increasing the price. But if you want to take out a feature, take out AA filter simulation. Almost no one uses it and the K-S1 target market would be the least likely to ever use it. If that's not good enough, take out the LED lights.
08-30-2014, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
...So then they were lying when they said that had ISO 12800 capability. I don't want a JPG pushed four stops from native 1600, which itself was really only ISO 1000.

Life is a long time, I hope. Things could change.

In the meantime I certainly am not going to purchase from a company that is actively hiding their true specifications from me. No thanks.

---------- Post added 08-30-14 at 06:52 PM ----------

Perhaps you could try, on a tripod of a still scene:

ISO100 on both
ISO400 on both
ISO1600 on both
ISO6400 on both
ISO12800 on both

and post the raw files? I don't know the T-stop of any Fuji lenses but it'd be nice if they could be similar.

On the X100, fuji was "only" lying by 2/3rds of a stop up to ISO1600. It was past that point that they really started fantasy-settings.
PM sent with a dropbox link for those shots. Let me know what you think.

Also some sooc compare shots here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/249...review-12.html

Also this is entertaining, comparing the X100, 100s and 5d M3. 47% of people couldn't tell them apart at the same settings iso 3200. 57% couldn't tell the x100s from a Canon 5d M3 at the same settings with a 35L. In favor of the ISO argument and against me he says the x100s ISO is a bit lower than stated although the images look pretty close and fooled 1/2 the people.

http://www.briankraft.com/Blog/personal/x100s-vs-x100-vs-canon-5d-mark-iii/

Last edited by LeeRunge; 08-30-2014 at 11:03 PM.
08-30-2014, 11:39 PM   #157
ogl
Banned

I ge that and I said so - I was responding to IchabodCrane. WiFi isn't as cheap as we think - something else has to be deleted to keep the price down. SO which of the distinguishing elements of Pentax character should they remove - or should they price a Pentax up - and how does this tiny company (within Ricoh cameras are tiny) pay for advertising to support sell-through? And keep the price down?

I don't want WiFi - I don't even want a FluCard. I have a 32Gb EyeFi Pro that does what I need, and only when I (rarely) need that.
Wi-Fi costs almost NOTHING. The cheapest router costs 10 USD.
THE ROUTER! Not simple Wi-Fi device for camera.

Me or you should buy EyeFi Card. Need to spend money. If the camera has Wi-Fi - no need to buy special cards.

Last edited by ogl; 08-30-2014 at 11:45 PM.
08-31-2014, 12:23 AM   #158
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
If the camera has Wi-Fi - no need to buy special cards.
Just need to buy an extra battery to carry along with the camera. Same with added GPS.
08-31-2014, 05:36 AM   #159
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wi-Fi costs almost NOTHING. The cheapest router costs 10 USD.
THE ROUTER! Not simple Wi-Fi device for camera.

Me or you should buy EyeFi Card. Need to spend money. If the camera has Wi-Fi - no need to buy special cards.
And we know that a WiFi radio small enough to fit inside a Pentax camera costs nothing how gain?

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Just need to buy an extra battery to carry along with the camera. Same with added GPS.
Funny thing about electronic features. Sort of like my old cellphone that carried a charge for a week. Can barely get 24 hours from a SmartPhone.
08-31-2014, 05:41 AM   #160
ogl
Banned

And we know that a WiFi radio small enough to fit inside a Pentax camera costs nothing how gain?
Do you use smartphone?
08-31-2014, 05:48 AM   #161
Veteran Member

Sort of like my old cellphone that carried a charge for a week. Can barely get 24 hours from a SmartPhone.
Moore's Law is hobbled by the limitations of battery chemistry.

---------- Post added 2014-08-31 at 10:53 PM ----------

Do you use smartphone?
I don't

As the former head of the NSA once recounted, he couldn't help but laugh at how many people effectively paid for their own surveillance by using smart phones, particularly those from Apple.
08-31-2014, 06:18 AM   #162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
How do you mean that? What can be faster than an optical viewfinder?

This crowd doesn't use a viewfinder, they use the LED screen. But this complaint is usually not about the viewfinder, it's about the overall speed of the camera. My old Panasonic Lumix DMC-F3 has a lag when taking photos that has nothing to do with the screen or the viewfinder. So do many phones. DLSRs don't. I'm guessing most decent modern cameras don't, but this crowd doesn't have a modern camera, they have a phone or an old Coolpix or something.
08-31-2014, 06:39 AM   #163
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Moore's Law is hobbled by the limitations of battery chemistry.

---------- Post added 2014-08-31 at 10:53 PM ----------

I don't
That's why you think in other ways.
08-31-2014, 09:23 AM   #164
Veteran Member

Nothing isn't $2, but $2 is nothing.

CYRF6936B-40LTXC Cypress Semiconductor | Mouser
08-31-2014, 09:28 AM   #165
Pentaxian

$2*300,000 (let's say that's how many units would be made) = $600,000
Unless they will be able to sell each unit $2 more expensive because of integrated WiFi, that's $600,000 lost.