Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2014, 05:41 AM   #166
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
And we know that a WiFi radio small enough to fit inside a Pentax camera costs nothing how gain?
Do you use smartphone?

08-31-2014, 05:48 AM   #167
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sort of like my old cellphone that carried a charge for a week. Can barely get 24 hours from a SmartPhone.
Moore's Law is hobbled by the limitations of battery chemistry.

---------- Post added 2014-08-31 at 10:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Do you use smartphone?
I don't

As the former head of the NSA once recounted, he couldn't help but laugh at how many people effectively paid for their own surveillance by using smart phones, particularly those from Apple.
08-31-2014, 06:18 AM   #168
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
How do you mean that? What can be faster than an optical viewfinder?

This crowd doesn't use a viewfinder, they use the LED screen. But this complaint is usually not about the viewfinder, it's about the overall speed of the camera. My old Panasonic Lumix DMC-F3 has a lag when taking photos that has nothing to do with the screen or the viewfinder. So do many phones. DLSRs don't. I'm guessing most decent modern cameras don't, but this crowd doesn't have a modern camera, they have a phone or an old Coolpix or something.
08-31-2014, 06:39 AM   #169
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Moore's Law is hobbled by the limitations of battery chemistry.

---------- Post added 2014-08-31 at 10:53 PM ----------

I don't
That's why you think in other ways.

08-31-2014, 09:23 AM   #170
Veteran Member

And we know that a WiFi radio small enough to fit inside a Pentax camera costs nothing how gain?
Nothing isn't $2, but $2 is nothing.

CYRF6936B-40LTXC Cypress Semiconductor | Mouser
08-31-2014, 09:28 AM   #171
Pentaxian

$2*300,000 (let's say that's how many units would be made) = $600,000
Unless they will be able to sell each unit $2 more expensive because of integrated WiFi, that's $600,000 lost.
08-31-2014, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #172
Veteran Member

1% more sales because of wifi = .01*300,000*$600 = $1.8 million made.
08-31-2014, 09:38 AM   #173
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Nothing isn't $2, but $2 is nothing.

CYRF6936B-40LTXC Cypress Semiconductor | Mouser
Indeed. If that particular device is suitable for camera WiFi (i.e. it meets the voltage, size, space, temperature, heat emission and a number of other technical requirements.

If its $2 why is an EyeFi Mobi $50 - $90 at B&H? Eye-Fi Pro is twice that.

Hint: According to IchabodCrane the real cost is $10 out the factory door. That adds $20 to the retail price. What feature of a Pentax camera should they delete to substitute WiFi? Pick one $10 cost feature ($20 Retail) and tell me why you'd rather have WiFi than that feature.

Hint: (Maybe) Metal Frame?
Hint: (Maybe) High-Grade polycarbonate body versus nylon?
Hint: (Maybe) Prime M II processor?
Hint: (Maybe) a combination of many things such as those three? At what point is it no longer a Pentax - just another cheap Canon?

Pentax decided the Flucard for PENTAX combines the real utilities of a hinged screen and connectivity in one optional device.

It's similar to offering an optional extended warranty for an additional $20. I can choose whether I want to take the risk or save the money.

I'm good with that.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-31-2014 at 09:56 AM.
08-31-2014, 09:40 AM   #174
Veteran Member

Wi-Fi would have been attractive on this camera. I use a Eye-Fi and would rather see it built into the camera. Battery issues aren't a big deal if you can turn transfer off in the software. I doubt the added cost would be much.

Touchscreen not so much. Some things in life are better with less menu's to dig through to change settings. Old school dials still trump touchscreens for ergonomics in a camera imo. I'm much younger than most of you. I'm curious to see what they did for the handling with this K-S1 when it's reviewed. Dpreview didn't seem to hot on it but other sites like imaging review will do a better job reviewing the camera. If they minimized menu digging it might be a simple slick interface which would be a big plus for the camera.

Any other camera's out there use the 20mp sensor in this KS-1?
08-31-2014, 09:52 AM   #175
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
Any other camera's out there use the 20mp sensor in this KS-1?
Sony A3000 A5000 and A58.
08-31-2014, 09:54 AM   #176
Pentaxian

Yes, Sony A3000 and A5000 IIRC (but of course, I can't say it's the same sensor - it could be a newer revision). (L.E. I was a bit slow - and A58, thanks, D1N0)

DPReview... their precious click counters won't work on the K-S1's Hand-On - so it doesn't appear in the "Most Popular Cameras" section, where every new ILC announcement will be present, at least for a week or two. And guess what, they don't care; after all it's just a Pentax. Yet they will use "metrics" to delay the review some 6-8 month, that's if they will make a proper review.
Sorry, I don't value their opinions that much.
08-31-2014, 09:58 AM   #177
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yes, Sony A3000 and A5000 IIRC (but of course, I can't say it's the same sensor - it could be a newer revision). (L.E. I was a bit slow - and A58, thanks, D1N0)

DPReview... their precious click counters won't work on the K-S1's Hand-On - so it doesn't appear in the "Most Popular Cameras" section, where every new ILC announcement will be present, at least for a week or two. And guess what, they don't care; after all it's just a Pentax. Yet they will use "metrics" to delay the review some 6-8 month, that's if they will make a proper review.

I agree they delay reviews. I prefer other sources like imaging resource personally. I think they are more responsive over at DPreview to the higher paying advertising customers, ie Canon, Nikon whose cameras are reviewed promptly.

Looks like this sensor has been out for a bit, Pentax seems to always get more from the same Sony sensor than the other brands do.
08-31-2014, 09:59 AM   #178
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
Touchscreen not so much. Some things in life are better with less menu's to dig through to change settings. Old school dials still trump touchscreens for ergonomics in a camera imo. I'm much younger than most of you. I'm curious to see what they did for the handling with this K-S1 when it's reviewed. Dpreview didn't seem to hot on it but other sites like imaging review will do a better job reviewing the camera. If they minimized menu digging it might be a simple slick interface which would be a big plus for the camera.
Agree... touch screen is good only if it applies to pin-pointing where to focus on; using this feature to navigate menu system is just painful (I have seen T4i users struggling with that).

---------- Post added 08-31-2014 at 01:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't value much their opinions either; but many Canikon users treat them as the only reliable source of information - "if they said it is good for them, it must be good".
08-31-2014, 10:03 AM   #179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Agree... touch screen is good only if it applies to pin-pointing where to focus on; using this feature to navigate menu system is just painful (I have seen T4i users struggling with that).
I work in aviation and it's the same. Touch screen is not a good idea for that application either. Tactile feel of knobs and buttons works with muscle memory offering faster response for the user. This is just what you want when something is happening quickly so you can switch settings and get your shot. Fiddling with a touchscreen and menu diving just leads to a lot of frustration and flying cameras.
08-31-2014, 10:05 AM   #180
Veteran Member

Indeed. If that particular device is suitable for camera WiFi (i.e. it meets the voltage, size, space, temperature, heat emission and a number of other technical requirements.

If its $2 why is an EyeFi Mobi $50 - $90 at B&H? Eye-Fi Pro is twice that.

Hint: According to IchabodCrane the real cost is $10 out the factory door. That adds $20 to the retail price. What feature of a Pentax camera should they delete to substitute WiFi? Pick one $10 cost feature ($20 Retail) and tell me why you'd rather have WiFi than that feature.

Hint: (Maybe) Metal Frame?
Hint: (Maybe) High-Grade polycarbonate body versus nylon?
Hint: (Maybe) Prime M II processor?
Hint: (Maybe) a combination of many things such as those three? At what point is it no longer a Pentax - just another cheap Canon?

Pentax decided the Flucard for PENTAX combines the real utilities of a hinged screen and connectivity in one optional device.

It's similar to offering an optional extended warranty for an additional $20. I can choose whether I want to take the risk or save the money.

I'm good with that.
I don't need hints.

The EyeFi is $45 because it has memory, it is a different form factor, has to have a less optimal interface, lower sales.

I actually don't want WiFi, myself. But I think it's silly to preclude it when frickin' washing machines and toasters have it.