Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2014, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #196
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,936
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I spoke directly, personally, with Jim Malcolm about this (in a conference with ten other PF members posted in the Q Forum). He told me Ricoh had extensive discussions with Apple and others over the course of more than a year, but Ricoh decided they simply weren't willing to comply with (particularly) Apple's requirements if Ricoh was to make use of the API and apps.

Apparently, that decision closed the on-board Wi-Fi door, so they worked with Eye-Fi to develop the card-sensing Menu system and with Flu to develop the card. Ricoh isn't stupid, folks. There's a reason for this solution.
Nikon and Canon and Sony and Samsung are all doing it. The SD card options are an added cost and now Ricoh looks uncompetitive. Odd since Ricoh has long been known for its excellent firmware support, which is primarily what this is.

I smell a cost issue.

---------- Post added 09-01-14 at 10:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
1. Touchscreen could be switched off in menu of camera
2. Touchscreen's sensitivity is adjustable
But a major point of a touchscreen is to eliminate the tactile control need.

09-01-2014, 06:48 AM   #197
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
No, that's the hard way.

You have to keep up with any changes in the APIs and new OS version, but you don't have to muck about trying to support hundreds and thousands of hardware devices.
Or you could just send an mms....
09-01-2014, 06:54 AM   #198
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,894
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I smell a cost issue.
Really? I thought Wi-Fi only cost $0.20 to implement (per OGL) or $5 - $10 at retail (per IchabodCrane, corrected).

IMHO Ricoh doesn't want to be tied to constantly updating Firmware on APPLE'S schedule. I suppose the companies you named are large enough, or feel compelled enough, to submit control of their development budgets to their monopolistic overlords.

But clearly, based on the repeated responses to my opinion, I am a benighted old man, living in probably the 19th C.

So nevermind.
09-01-2014, 06:58 AM   #199
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
So then send an mms.

09-01-2014, 06:59 AM   #200
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nevada, USA
Posts: 494
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
That same DPR side-by-side comparison also shows the K-50 as a compact SLR and the K-S1 as a Mid-size SLR.

The US Ricoh web site lists polyarbonate over metal chassis for the K-S1.
09-01-2014, 07:10 AM   #201
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 10,944
DPReview is also saying about the K-S1 that "the remainder of the body is a mix of composite and metal and it feels very solid".
09-01-2014, 07:19 AM   #202
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,225
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
But a major point of a touchscreen is to eliminate the tactile control need.
The mayor point of a touch screen to me is focussing by touch. (which is why it is more useful on mirror less.
09-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #203
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,936
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Really? I thought Wi-Fi only cost $0.20 to implement (per OGL) or $5 - $10 at retail (per IchabodCrane, corrected).

IMHO Ricoh doesn't want to be tied to constantly updating Firmware on APPLE'S schedule. I suppose the companies you named are large enough, or feel compelled enough, to submit control of their development budgets to their monopolistic overlords.

But clearly, based on the repeated responses to my opinion, I am a benighted old man, living in probably the 19th C.

So nevermind.
Wi-fi doesn't depend on Apple's schedule. The APIs for mobile OS and desktop OS are the problems as it commits camera makers to app creation and maintenance.

Al they need is an app that says: "talk to Pentax camera and put in camera roll of applicable device". Keep in mind the new iOS 8 will accept RAW. Since Pentax uses DNG our brand already has a headstart.

I suspect Pentax and others want what Apple does now and that is to put RAW conversion at the OS-level. I have spoken to Apple engineers and they find this enormously convoluted wight he camera makers hardly able to communicate.

you can see this on the K-S1. Hardware engineered LEDs and backlighting.

---------- Post added 09-01-14 at 12:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The mayor point of a touch screen to me is focussing by touch. (which is why it is more useful on mirror less.
Right. Thereby eliminating the need for a control wheel to select focus points. One or the other.

09-01-2014, 08:12 AM   #204
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,225
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Right. Thereby eliminating the need for a control wheel to select focus points. One or the other.
cd-focus uses the sensor, you won't be using your phase detect, unless the sensor has phase detect points. You will not be using your touch screen while looking through the ovf so you will always need tactile controls for moving your AF-point.
09-01-2014, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #205
Veteran Member
NicoleC's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 448
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I spoke directly, personally, with Jim Malcolm about this (in a conference with ten other PF members posted in the Q Forum). He told me Ricoh had extensive discussions with Apple and others over the course of more than a year, but Ricoh decided they simply weren't willing to comply with (particularly) Apple's requirements if Ricoh was to make use of the API and apps.

Apparently, that decision closed the on-board Wi-Fi door, so they worked with Eye-Fi to develop the card-sensing Menu system and with Flu to develop the card. Ricoh isn't stupid, folks. There's a reason for this solution.

I can understand those reasons from a development perspective, but from a consumer standpoint the Flu card is a poor and expensive alternative. It adds $100 to the cost for a feature that many customers are coming to expect standard in gadgets. Unless I had an existing catalog of Pentax lenses, why would an upper-entry level consumer choose the KS-1 over the WI-FI enabled Nikon D5300, which also has an articulating screen, GPS ($249 extra from Pentax), three colors and of course "more megapixels"? The specific colors of the KS-1? The LED lights on the front?


I'm sure they have crunched the numbers and think they know how many sales they will lose, but it's hard to put a value on being perceived as low tech in a field where they certainly aren't.


Personally, I was very disappointed with the remote control options offered by the Flu card. I hope they don't think they are done with it if that's where they are pinning their WiFi hopes.
09-01-2014, 08:26 AM   #206
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 10,944
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
So then send an mms.
To whom?
09-01-2014, 08:28 AM   #207
Veteran Member
NicoleC's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 448
P.S. With a 7% desktop and 11% smartphone market share worldwide, choosing not to support Apple is a viable option. It would hurt in the US (42% iPhone market) and Japan (57% iPhone market), but the market share of iPhones is on a steady downward trend anyway.
09-01-2014, 08:29 AM   #208
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
To whom?
Facebook. Instagram. Your wife.*





*only valid in case of Kunzite.

---------- Post added 09-01-14 at 08:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
P.S. With a 7% desktop and 11% smartphone market share worldwide, choosing not to support Apple is a viable option. It would hurt in the US (42% iPhone market) and Japan (57% iPhone market), but the market share of iPhones is on a steady downward trend anyway.
That's % of the smartphone market. I don't know what % of phones are smartphones now, but it seems like the majority.
09-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #209
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 10,944
Interesting, it appears you can indeed MMS to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter. You only need to include GSM support (and comply with the appropriate regulations), and have a data plan. And a parallel system will be needed, to save on your data plan if a WiFi is nearby. And radio interference might be an issue.
Thanks, I learned something new (though I'm not using any of those 3).
09-01-2014, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #210
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,894
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
Personally, I was very disappointed with the remote control options offered by the Flu card. I hope they don't think they are done with it if that's where they are pinning their WiFi hopes.
Who knows - maybe Flu/Pentax was a lost-cost placeholder until iOS8. IIRC there was some mention of RAW in the discussion. Given the balance of Ricoh's USA consumer strategy (lack of: big box store distribution, supporting ads to drive sell-through, celebrity brand-identity endorsements) maybe they don't really care about the western entry level market at all.

I'm beginning to think not caring about the US consumer is a Thing now.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, business, buttons, buzz, camera, change, competition, control, grip, hand, hands-on, k-01, k-s1, lens, level, look, market, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, people, photography, pm, post, price, review, target, viewfinder, wr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hands-On Video with the Pentax 1.4x Teleconverter Adam Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 02-10-2014 06:33 PM
Hands-on with the Pentax WG-3 Adam Pentax Compact Cameras 7 07-17-2013 04:35 AM
Wanted - Acquired: Pentax K-x / K-r Body Only or with Lens CircaM Sold Items 2 03-01-2013 03:43 PM
Hands-On Photos of the K-01 from Pentax Singapore User Group creampuff Pentax K-01 299 12-03-2012 08:01 AM
Pentax ad for K-30 on dpreview.com bwDraco Photographic Industry and Professionals 2 09-23-2012 06:24 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:54 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top