Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2014, 10:12 AM   #211
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Interesting, it appears you can indeed MMS to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter. You only need to include GSM support (and comply with the appropriate regulations), and have a data plan. And a parallel system will be needed, to save on your data plan if a WiFi is nearby. And radio interference might be an issue.
Thanks, I learned something new (though I'm not using any of those 3).
Just to be completely clear - a 'data plan' is nice if you're not within range of WiFi, but it's not necessary.

You could 'just' have wifi and tether to one of your other devices, or to a local network.

09-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #212
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Interesting, it appears you can indeed MMS to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter. You only need to include GSM support (and comply with the appropriate regulations), and have a data plan. And a parallel system will be needed, to save on your data plan if a WiFi is nearby. And radio interference might be an issue.
Thanks, I learned something new (though I'm not using any of those 3).
Mmm well MMS is costly, SMS is free most of the time, data is free within data allowance of your data plan (which really isn't free but there's no cost per image sent).
09-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #213
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
You could 'just' have wifi and tether to one of your other devices, or to a local network.
You can already do that now,

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Mmm well MMS is costly, SMS is free most of the time, data is free within data allowance of your data plan (which really isn't free but there's no cost per image sent).
How many devices can you have on your data plan? How many Mb can you have on your data plan, at what cost for over-limit? How much of your data plan capacity does sending photos consume? On my data plan I can have more phones, but tablets need their own data plan. Would I need a new data plan for a camera?

Should I let my children add their Wi-Fi-enabled CaNiSujy's to my FamilyTalk Plan?
09-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #214
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
cd-focus uses the sensor, you won't be using your phase detect, unless the sensor has phase detect points. You will not be using your touch screen while looking through the ovf so you will always need tactile controls for moving your AF-point.
So what is the point of a touchscreen? Save $$ and just have an articulating screen for what real matters.....video.

09-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #215
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I do not have a one-button-publish button.

This is going to be a great selling point.

Aren't you usually someone who harps about the wants of the poster vs. the requirements of the 'generic' customer?
09-01-2014, 11:11 AM   #216
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

This is going to be a great selling point.

Aren't you usually someone who harps about the wants of the poster vs. the requirements of the 'generic' customer?
I think a lot of excellent things come from just making the tools available and also pretty plastic so that users can push them in all sorts of ways and come up with things which the originating company never dreamed of. But we need to get to first (wifi) base before that can happen
09-01-2014, 11:15 AM   #217
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You likely already have a better, optimized one-button-publish tool in your pocket.

09-01-2014, 11:32 AM   #218
Pentaxian

Does DPR never use the Info quick-screen on the back? Grousing about buttons for data that can accessed that way, and praising font updates, really isn't doing prospective users much good.

OTOH they must have had pre-firmware for this, so that's all they can comment on. The downside of handing out cameras a week before they're ready...
09-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #219
Pentaxian

How many devices can you have on your data plan? How many Mb can you have on your data plan, at what cost for over-limit? How much of your data plan capacity does sending photos consume? On my data plan I can have more phones, but tablets need their own data plan. Would I need a new data plan for a camera?

Should I let my children add their Wi-Fi-enabled CaNiSujy's to my FamilyTalk Plan?
I was replying to the MMS thing (which is a bit... let's say surprising... that's the last thing I'd use).
I partly agree but if you use wifi to link the cam (embedded wifi or Flucard or EyeFi I don't give a damn) to the smartphone, the most usual/logical would be to use the data plan.
Of course if you set the cam to send FullRes JPEGs to the phone to be sent on the Net well... LOL

Any sensible user (in these condition) would use minimum possible Jpeg size (sent to the phone) + RAW (stays on the SD).
Then the phone is set to send any received picture to whatever social cr@p the user likes (pun intended)
09-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #220
Pentaxian

Just to be completely clear - a 'data plan' is nice if you're not within range of WiFi, but it's not necessary.

While using MMS?
09-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #221
Pentaxian

Well in most of the Europe, at least Belgium and France, there's not such a thing as free wifi so yes, a data plan is pretty much mandatory.
09-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #222
Veteran Member

That's % of the smartphone market. I don't know what % of phones are smartphones now, but it seems like the majority.

Oh sure, but feature phone users can't really browse and publish to the web anyway, and don't have usually data plans that support uploading files anyway. Tiny little cell phone pictures via MMS, sure.

Smartphones just started barely out-selling feature phones last year.

QuoteQuote:
Well in most of the Europe, at least Belgium and France, there's not such a thing as free wifi so yes, a data plan is pretty much mandatory.

Same here, but my phone can create a Wi-Fi hotspot.

---------- Post added 09-01-14 at 03:01 PM ----------

Who knows - maybe Flu/Pentax was a lost-cost placeholder until iOS8. IIRC there was some mention of RAW in the discussion. Given the balance of Ricoh's USA consumer strategy (lack of: big box store distribution, supporting ads to drive sell-through, celebrity brand-identity endorsements) maybe they don't really care about the western entry level market at all.

Maybe. Or maybe there were other impediments that didn't get into the official story that also affected the decision.

Of course if they do add internal Wi-Fi with support for iOS and Android, I would just complain they didn't support Windows Phone.
09-01-2014, 01:09 PM   #223
Veteran Member

I was replying to the MMS thing (which is a bit... let's say surprising... that's the last thing I'd use).
I partly agree but if you use wifi to link the cam (embedded wifi or Flucard or EyeFi I don't give a damn) to the smartphone, the most usual/logical would be to use the data plan.
Of course if you set the cam to send FullRes JPEGs to the phone to be sent on the Net well... LOL
I'm not sure why you're laughing? You're the first person proposing sending out full resolution jpg's. I was proposing 300kb as per MMS guidelines to sidestep those people who implied Facebook, Twitter, etc, implemented API's that weren't backwards compatible. MMS sidesteps those issues.

---------- Post added 09-01-14 at 01:11 PM ----------

Really? Restaurants et al don't have wifi for customers?

I do recall having to pay for wifi in Paris/Stuttgart in 2010, that was an odd experience for me.
09-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #224
Pentaxian

I'm not sure why you're laughing? You're the first person proposing sending out full resolution jpg's. I was proposing 300kb as per MMS guidelines to sidestep those people who implied Facebook, Twitter, etc, implemented API's that weren't backwards compatible. MMS sidesteps those issues.

Read again.

---------- Post added 09-01-14 at 01:11 PM ----------

Really? Restaurants et al don't have wifi for customers?

I do recall having to pay for wifi in Paris/Stuttgart in 2010, that was an odd experience for me.
Most don't. Some have. Nothing you can count on. I was VERY surprised (pleasantly) that in Ireland though, Wifi was almost everywhere including simple plublic transportation buses. Nothing of that sort here. Sure, a certain number of wifi hotspots but free? You kidding... (I know you're not, you know what I mean).
09-01-2014, 04:07 PM   #225
Veteran Member

Here, free wifi is getting so ubiqitous that a (very) few people are giving up their dataplans and voice minutes and are just using wifi.