Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2014, 02:39 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
I wish Pentax could have used EVF instead OVF and possibly get rid of flash too. That would have given a serious competition to Sony nex series. I will continue to keep my Pentax AF lenses but will pass on this.
Why gave up on the 100% coverage viewfinder, something that Pentax is great at making? Also, EVF is for mirrorless camera. This is not meant to be an upgrade for K-01. This is designed to be a DSLR.

08-28-2014, 02:57 AM   #32
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I'm a bit disappointed. I think they've got quite a lot wrong with this camera. It's supposed to appeal to people who have rejected DSLRs, but . . .

- it should be lighter
- it should do Wi-Fi out of the box
- it should be weather sealed
- it should have a smaller, quieter kit lens
touchscreen and tiltable LCD
08-28-2014, 03:06 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Targeted user of this camera are 20-somethings who are novices to photography but want to move into an SLR style camera.. I think.
See Ricoh's Life Captured Video
08-28-2014, 03:08 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by whk1992 Quote
Why gave up on the 100% coverage viewfinder, something that Pentax is great at making? Also, EVF is for mirrorless camera. This is not meant to be an upgrade for K-01. This is designed to be a DSLR.
I have used OVF for 20 years and will continue to use OVF on film camera. However for digital, EVF and mirrorless are the future. After getting accustomed to Sony EVF, I will not look back to OVF. I exactly know what I am shooting - dept of field, exact point of the focus, peaking, live histograms, clippings, and no shutter noise or vibration - something not easy to overlook. A few years from now, and the most cameras including high end will be mirrorless.

08-28-2014, 03:20 AM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
I have used OVF for 20 years and will continue to use OVF on film camera. However for digital, EVF and mirrorless are the future. After getting accustomed to Sony EVF, I will not look back to OVF. I exactly know what I am shooting - dept of field, exact point of the focus, peaking, live histograms, clippings, and no shutter noise or vibration - something not easy to overlook. A few years from now, and the most cameras including high end will be mirrorless.
Ah. I agree with you on that, although I just bought a K-50, my first DSLR. As an engineering student, I just love all the moving, mechanical parts inside the camera. Plus, I want to grab one before DSLR becomes history. DSLR has become so well-developed and affordable on these days. I can't afford a really good mirrorless camera yet.
08-28-2014, 03:50 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whk1992 Quote
Plus, I want to grab one before DSLR becomes history. DSLR has become so well-developed and affordable on these days.
Interesting and valid perspective. There is a lot of evolution behind our current DSLR's.
08-28-2014, 04:36 AM   #37
Pentaxian

This camera is not for pentaxians. It's an affront. When this is the road Ricoh is going, I am not buying any more bodies.

08-28-2014, 04:55 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
This camera is not for pentaxians. It's an affront. When this is the road Ricoh is going, I am not buying any more bodies.
If they also introduce a K-50 follow-up, I'm not worried. The Pentax NB1000 wasn't for me, but it didn't stop me from buying a K-5 - nor did it stop me from still loving Lego
08-28-2014, 05:04 AM   #39
Pentaxian

I'm worried that this wil replace the k-50.
08-28-2014, 05:07 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Without WR? I don't think so...
08-28-2014, 05:13 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Only if K-3 becomes the mid tier and.... dare I say it?.... The "K-F1" replaces the K-3 as the top tier
08-28-2014, 05:18 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
See Ricoh's Life Captured Video
I think that I actually saw some marketing? They are selling a lifestyle - not a camera.

It also appears to me that the market is 20 something women....

Last edited by interested_observer; 08-28-2014 at 05:25 AM.
08-28-2014, 06:01 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
If they also introduce a K-50 follow-up, I'm not worried. The Pentax NB1000 wasn't for me, but it didn't stop me from buying a K-5 - nor did it stop me from still loving Lego
[EDIT: I didn't see the prior post until after I posted this - I completely agree.]

They gave US the K-3. Why are we asking for a K-3 minus? let them try to go after somebody new. Like my daughter. Mid-20's, Shoots iPhone, Getting bored with Facebook and Instagram; not wed to her father's idea of what a camera is and certainly not wed to her father's idea of what a dSLR should look like. Couldn't care less about whether the 19!55 lloks crappy because she never thought about the difference. Probably will use LiveView a lot so the Mode Dial is just great.

Etc. Etc.

It isn't for us.
08-28-2014, 06:01 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I think that I actually saw some marketing? They are selling a lifestyle - not a camera.

It also appears to me that the market is 20 something women....

If that's their target market, I'd like to see the consultant's report that claims the target market will spend $800 when they have historically spent $400 - $500.
08-28-2014, 06:13 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
[EDIT: I didn't see the prior post until after I posted this - I completely agree.]

They gave US the K-3. Why are we asking for a K-3 minus? let them try to go after somebody new. Like my daughter. Mid-20's, Shoots iPhone, Getting bored with Facebook and Instagram; not wed to her father's idea of what a camera is and certainly not wed to her father's idea of what a dSLR should look like. Couldn't care less about whether the 19!55 lloks crappy because she never thought about the difference. Probably will use LiveView a lot so the Mode Dial is just great.

Etc. Etc.

It isn't for us.
You are asking a consumer who doesn't care much about camera quality to drop a wooping 800 bucks.