Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2014, 08:23 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,790
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
Nope.

Why would you pick this over say a Sony a6000 or Fuji XE2 if you were in the market for a mirrorless aps-c?
The K-S1 not a mirrorless so how does this equate?

08-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #62
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Stratford, CT
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 652
If I was looking for a mirrorless, I certainly would not buy this.
08-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #63
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,602
If I were looking for mirror less a would not buy a camera with a mirror. Seem fair.
08-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #64
Veteran Member
LeeRunge's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 310
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Yes, the primary advantage of an EVF is reducing overall size, not extended information, etc. I talk to young (i.e. college age) photographers all the time, and they constantly rave about the OVFs on their vintage film cameras (yes, they are buying them like crazy, too), but go for EVFs in mirrorless so they can have a more pocketable or "purseable" serious digital camera as a companion. Small size with OVF is a potentially winning combination. I'd be interested to see a retro-styled version of this reduced-size body, which would hit all the sweet spots with the young artsy hipster crowd.
EVF do reduce size. I have a Fuji X100s and I prefer the hybrid viewfinder by a large margin to the optical in my K5. EVF (x100 is both) have the advantage of basically live view shielded from the sun and the handling of a viewfinder. You see the changes in EV compensation etc instantly which is really nice. Manual focus is far superior with an EVF as well. Check out the new Fuji's or a Sony with the latest EVF, they aren't a negative anymore. Lag is being eliminated quickly and you can see in dim light far better. You viewfinder is also much larger similar to a Full Frame.

I would love to see a hybrid viewfinder in the next K series!

08-28-2014, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #65
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,159
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
The hands-on review said it was very difficult to use. One user said he was "losing skin cells" using it. Change is all well and good when it's an improvement. When it's change just to be "different" at the expense of function, it's not so hot. Some things are better left alone. Imagine a car with the accelerator in the glovebox.
Wel, I strongly suspect, coming from DPR, that it is just too different. Seems stupid, so they didn't even to think if different may actually be OK too.
08-28-2014, 08:32 AM   #66
Veteran Member
LeeRunge's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 310
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
If I were looking for mirror less a would not buy a camera with a mirror. Seem fair.
So it's a aps-c with a optical viewfinder and point and shoot controls, sounds like a winning combination. All the bulk without the handling that makes up for it. I would still pick either the a6000 of Fuji over this, or a K50 or K5II.

Maybe the sensor is amazing but I doubt it's much different than the current options.
08-28-2014, 08:32 AM   #67
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,705
QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
Yah i think they just don't like pentax in general? If this was a canon they would be gushing over it... sorry but they just seem biased. They actually nitpicked over the *font*???? Seriously? And they state it is a mid level camera and then in the summary say it sucks because it is more expensive than entry level Canikons, washing away the fact that it kills them feature wise.

Very strange, the DPR crew.
I don't think DPR is anti-Pentax, per se. The did give the K-3 their "Gold Award", and stated that the K-50 is a viable, and even advantageous, alternative to the Canikon competition. I do think that DPR has a strong predisposition as to what a camera is and how it should behave, and when they encounter something different, their generally hidebound nature causes them to react negatively. Also, Pentax's lens selection does suffer in comparison with Canokin, so that's a bit of a demerit right there.*

* Although, one could argue that since there are no Limited for Canikon, they are the ones whose lens selection suffers in comparison with Pentax!
08-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #68
Veteran Member
LeeRunge's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 310
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I don't think DPR is anti-Pentax, per se. The did give the K-3 their "Gold Award", and stated that the K-50 is a viable, and even advantageous, alternative to the Canikon competition. I do think that DPR has a strong predisposition as to what a camera is and how it should behave, and when they encounter something different, their generally hidebound nature causes them to react negatively. Also, Pentax's lens selection does suffer in comparison with Canokin, so that's a bit of a demerit right there.*

* Although, one could argue that since there are no Limited for Canikon, they are the ones whose lens selection suffers in comparison with Pentax!
They have liked the K7, K5 series and K3 so they aren't anti-pentax. The K50 is also very competitive. If your going for a large camera you want the performance and handling that comes with the tradeoff in weight and bulk. This camera looks like it has the controls of a point and shoot in a DSLR package. Look at what it's up against at the price point and put yourself in the shoes of someone buying a 800 dollar APS-C camera, would you pick this over the other options?

Innovation is great but this is going to be another K01 which can be purchased for 399 with two lenses right now btw.

The Hybrid viewfinder on the X100/s or the EVF on the XT-1, those are both recent advances that add attraction and value to those cameras. Honestly Fuji with the XT-1 is beating pentax at it's own game in APS-C, better (even that the limited) primes and weather sealing in a small package. The sensor in that camera outperforms anything offered in APS-C right now. The "kit" lenses are also much better than anyone elses.

Maybe Pentax will drop an amazing full frame on us at Photokina, hopefully something more competitive that this thing.


Last edited by LeeRunge; 08-28-2014 at 08:45 AM.
08-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #69
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Stratford, CT
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 652
What does "controls of a point and shoot" mean? You've used it twice.
08-28-2014, 08:58 AM   #70
Marketplace Reseller
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,108
Wait. you complain over price, then compare it to the XT-1 which has a street price (~$1300 for the body) of nearly 70% more than the K-S1's MSRP ($750, not $800 as you state)? And as far as I can tell, this has all the same controls as any of the other Pentax entry to mid-level SLRs, just with a streamlined layout. How is that "Point and shoot controls?"

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
They have liked the K7, K5 series and K3 so they aren't anti-pentax. The K50 is also very competitive. If your going for a large camera you want the performance and handling that comes with the tradeoff in weight and bulk. This camera looks like it has the controls of a point and shoot in a DSLR package. Look at what it's up against at the price point and put yourself in the shoes of someone buying a 800 dollar APS-C camera, would you pick this over the other options?

Innovation is great but this is going to be another K01 which can be purchased for 399 with two lenses right now btw.

The Hybrid viewfinder on the X100/s or the EVF on the XT-1, those are both recent advances that add attraction and value to those cameras. Honestly Fuji with the XT-1 is beating pentax at it's own game in APS-C, better (even that the limited) primes and weather sealing in a small package. The sensor in that camera outperforms anything offered in APS-C right now. The "kit" lenses are also much better than anyone elses.

Maybe Pentax will drop an amazing full frame on us at Photokina, hopefully something more competitive that this thing.
08-28-2014, 09:02 AM   #71
Veteran Member
LeeRunge's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 310
QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
What does "controls of a point and shoot" mean? You've used it twice.
The control layout on the back of that camera looks just like what you see on a manual control point and shoot. No front and real dials that allow quick changes to aperture and shutter etc. They even market the control scheme for people switching to this from a smartphone. One of the big advantages to a DSLR is more space for controls. Pentax K series are one of the best in that regard. This looks like a huge step back.

You can pick up a K500 with standard controls and not much bigger in size for 529 dollars with two lenses. This costs @ 250 more with no lens. It's going to be heavily discounted shortly after launch unless that 20mp sensor is revolutionary but I doubt that. Maybe there is a huge untapped market of smart phone users looking for a DSLR with easy controls.

Would you pick this over a K500? or the for it's price s K5II, Fuji XE2, Sony A6000, D5300, Honestly?

Not trying to troll the forum , I'm just not impressed with this.

---------- Post added 08-28-2014 at 10:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Wait. you complain over price, then compare it to the XT-1 which has a street price (~$1300 for the body) of nearly 70% more than the K-S1's MSRP ($750, not $800 as you state)? And as far as I can tell, this has all the same controls as any of the other Pentax entry to mid-level SLRs, just with a streamlined layout. How is that "Point and shoot controls?"
Not comparing prices at all. I used that as an example of good innovation. The XT-1 is competition for the K3. The XE-2 would be direct competition for the KS1 (I would go XE2 over KS1).
08-28-2014, 09:09 AM   #72
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Stratford, CT
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 652
There is a rear e-dial. The layout is different, but the controls are there. If they are trying to sell to people moving from smartphones or P&S, it seems like a good move. I wouldn't buy this camera because it doesn't fit my needs. And I'm not 20.

Frankly you seem like one of the people who looks forward to new products just so you can point out perceived flaws and predict failure. We never see those people when they're proven wrong.
08-28-2014, 09:10 AM   #73
Pentaxian
i83N's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lithuania
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,143
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
The hands-on review said it was very difficult to use. One user said he was "losing skin cells" using it. Change is all well and good when it's an improvement. When it's change just to be "different" at the expense of function, it's not so hot. Some things are better left alone. Imagine a car with the accelerator in the glovebox.
remember itís dpreview they hate pentax by default ((((((:
08-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #74
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,602
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
remember itís dpreview they hate pentax by default ((((((:
On this one I agree with them. They don't hate Pentax They like the K-5's the K-3 and the K-50. It's just that Nikon gets more credit for gadgetry and better video.
08-28-2014, 09:15 AM   #75
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Stratford, CT
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 652
It's not that they don't like the products when they get around to them; it's just they don't consider Pentax a legitimate camera maker. Like the lovable scamp who keeps trying, so we patronize them once in a while.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, business, buttons, buzz, camera, change, competition, control, grip, hand, hands-on, k-01, k-s1, lens, level, look, market, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, people, photography, pm, post, price, review, target, viewfinder, wr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hands-On Video with the Pentax 1.4x Teleconverter Adam Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 02-10-2014 06:33 PM
Hands-on with the Pentax WG-3 Adam Pentax Compact Cameras 7 07-17-2013 04:35 AM
Wanted - Acquired: Pentax K-x / K-r Body Only or with Lens CircaM Sold Items 2 03-01-2013 03:43 PM
Hands-On Photos of the K-01 from Pentax Singapore User Group creampuff Pentax K-01 299 12-03-2012 08:01 AM
Pentax ad for K-30 on dpreview.com bwDraco Photographic Industry and Professionals 2 09-23-2012 06:24 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:20 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top