Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2014, 09:16 AM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
There is a rear e-dial. The layout is different, but the controls are there. If they are trying to sell to people moving from smartphones or P&S, it seems like a good move.

Frankly you seem like one of the people who looks forward to new products just so you can point out perceived flaws and predict failure. We never see those people when they're proven wrong.
I'm not that type of person at all. I just don't see this as a good change. I've owned two Pentax camera body's a K7 and K5. The K3 is attractive and the K50/500 are great options for that price. If I were in the market for a 750 dollar camera body and not invested in Pentax glass I wouldn't choose this.

You honestly think this will sell well? If you were a new customer you would pick this over other options?

---------- Post added 08-28-2014 at 10:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
remember it’s dpreview they hate pentax by default ((((((:
Which is why they gave the k5, k5ii and K3 a gold award and praised it. lol.

08-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #77
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have no idea how this will sell, and neither do you. I would want to at least see it and hold it before I could tell if I'd buy it. I would certainly consider it, but again, the target audience is younger than me.

Some people want something different because it's different.
08-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #78
Pentaxian

I think they should make a vertical mode dial to the left of the viewfinder. It would take up less space en still free up space on top of the grip section.
08-28-2014, 09:24 AM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It has a top-mounted rear jog dial, and the flat-mounted rear dial on the back doubles as both the mode selecter and a jog dial for other controls, analogous to the front jog dial.

As far as the X-E2 goes, the viewfinder lag is still noticeable, despite being "best in class," and its resolution is till abysmally low. In many quanitative measures, the K-S1 i superior, too. Better ISO range, higher MP, Faster shutter, better battery life, no AA filter, wider lens selection, etc. The XE2 has the slight edge in burst shooting and more metering points. Neither is weather sealed. It's not like the K-S1 is uncompetitive on specs with other cameras in its price range.

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
The control layout on the back of that camera looks just like what you see on a manual control point and shoot. No front and real dials that allow quick changes to aperture and shutter etc. They even market the control scheme for people switching to this from a smartphone. One of the big advantages to a DSLR is more space for controls. Pentax K series are one of the best in that regard. This looks like a huge step back.

You can pick up a K500 with standard controls and not much bigger in size for 529 dollars with two lenses. This costs @ 250 more with no lens. It's going to be heavily discounted shortly after launch unless that 20mp sensor is revolutionary but I doubt that. Maybe there is a huge untapped market of smart phone users looking for a DSLR with easy controls.

Would you pick this over a K500? or the for it's price s K5II, Fuji XE2, Sony A6000, D5300, Honestly?

Not trying to troll the forum , I'm just not impressed with this.

---------- Post added 08-28-2014 at 10:03 AM ----------

Not comparing prices at all. I used that as an example of good innovation. The XT-1 is competition for the K3. The XE-2 would be direct competition for the KS1 (I would go XE2 over KS1).

08-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Maybe it'll handle like a Sony. Every button is customizable so after you customize then forget what you customized you'll just stare at the back of your camera puzzled. Maybe that's just me....

Pentax K7/5/3 are imo the best handling camera's on the market.

We shall see if they are giving them away on amazon 6 months after launch like the K01.
08-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #81
Pentaxian

I agree that they don't hate Pentax, but they certainly neglect the brand. The K-3 review situation was a travesty for all involved. And they've still only done a "hands on" with the 645z.

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
On this one I agree with them. They don't hate Pentax They like the K-5's the K-3 and the K-50. It's just that Nikon gets more credit for gadgetry and better video.
08-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #82
Site Supporter

You (LeeRunge) keep moving the goalposts, so it's hard to keep up.
08-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I agree that they don't hate Pentax, but they certainly neglect the brand. The K-3 review situation was a travesty for all involved. And they've still only done a "hands on" with the 645z.
They are late on Pentax reviews, probably from a lack of marketing dollars thrown at them. I'm sure the "delayed" review helps sell more Canikon. They won't buy one if they are unaware it's an option for a year after launch.

---------- Post added 08-28-2014 at 10:33 AM ----------

You (LeeRunge) keep moving the goalposts, so it's hard to keep up.
So would you buy it over the other options if you were fresh to market? Be honest!

08-28-2014, 09:33 AM   #84
Pentaxian

Concern trolling.

Maybe it'll handle like a Sony. Every button is customizable so after you customize then forget what you customized you'll just stare at the back of your camera puzzled. Maybe that's just me....

Pentax K7/5/3 are imo the best handling camera's on the market.

We shall see if they are giving them away on amazon 6 months after launch like the K01.
08-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #85
Site Supporter

So would you buy it over the other options if you were fresh to market? Be honest!
I answered this above: I would certainly consider it if I were looking for a small dslr; I wouldn't dismiss it before it hits the shelves and I haven't had a chance to handle all the options and compare all features, etc.
08-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Concern trolling.
Man, you say you don't like it and don't think it'll sell and you're a troll. I guess a negative view of a released product is frowned upon here.

For the record I really like my K5, will probably upgrade the body to K3 eventually and have owned a K7. I have a bunch of pentax glass. I don't knock those camera's at all.

---------- Post added 08-28-2014 at 10:39 AM ----------

I answered this above: I would certainly consider it if I were looking for a small dslr; I wouldn't dismiss it before it hits the shelves and I haven't had a chance to handle all the options and compare all features, etc.
Fair enough. I'll come back 6 months after launch and say I'm wrong if it sells like hotcakes.
08-28-2014, 09:43 AM   #87
Site Supporter

Well, it's not really released.

The problem isn't that you don't like it; that's your business. The problem is that you take your issues and project them into the camera-buying public at large. You take incorrect info and play them as faults, never addressing the facts when you're corrected.

Not every camera released is top-of-the-line. There has to be entry- and mid-level as well.
08-28-2014, 09:46 AM - 2 Likes   #88
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I do think that DPR has a strong predisposition as to what a camera is and how it should behave, and when they encounter something different, their generally hidebound nature causes them to react negatively.
So unlike all of us free-thinkers here at PentaxForums, who have open minds and warmly welcome new ideas, concepts, and experiences.

08-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #89
Pentaxian

No, slagging a product by one brand (Pentax) based upon the perceived deficiencies of a completely unrelated product made by another brand (Sony), when you haven't even handled the camera we are actually talking about while claiming to be a fan of Pentax's other products is the definition of concern trolling.

Man, you say you don't like it and don't think it'll sell and you're a troll. I guess a negative view of a released product is frowned upon here.

For the record I really like my K5, will probably upgrade the body to K3 eventually and have owned a K7. I have a bunch of pentax glass. I don't knock those camera's at all.

---------- Post added 08-28-2014 at 10:39 AM ----------

Fair enough. I'll come back 6 months after launch and say I'm wrong if it sells like hotcakes.
08-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #90
Pentaxian

Not every camera released is top-of-the-line. There has to be entry- and mid-level as well.
K-50/500 were doing that very well. Just needs wifi and articulated (touch)screen. That's all they had to do. Sony will probably stop de 16mp sensor production soon (if they have not already) so the 20mp sensor was going to come anyway. This is clearly aimed at Nikon 1 shooters. A family camera with cute leds and a flashy mode dial but done badly imho. I hope Ricoh wil bring an evolution follow up to the K-50 and that this misguided thing was not it.