Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2014, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #91
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
So unlike all of us free-thinkers here at PentaxForums, who have open minds and warmly welcome new ideas, concepts, and experiences.

Are you implying that the people who had seizures because the best APS-C on the market said Ricoh on the back might be a little stagnant in their thinking?

08-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #92
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
It has a top-mounted rear jog dial, and the flat-mounted rear dial on the back doubles as both the mode selecter and a jog dial for other controls, analogous to the front jog dial.

As far as the X-E2 goes, the viewfinder lag is still noticeable, despite being "best in class," and its resolution is till abysmally low. In many quanitative measures, the K-S1 i superior, too. Better ISO range, higher MP, Faster shutter, better battery life, no AA filter, wider lens selection, etc. The XE2 has the slight edge in burst shooting and more metering points. Neither is weather sealed. It's not like the K-S1 is uncompetitive on specs with other cameras in its price range.
Actually, the Fuji might win that high ISO shootout. They don't have an AA filter, either.
08-28-2014, 10:25 AM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Actually, the Fuji might win that high ISO shootout. They don't have an AA filter, either.
Fuji beats the K5/K5ii and K3 in iso performance right now. Maybe the new 20mp sensor is better, it's untested. I kinda doubt Pentax would trump the flagship K3 in iso with the KS1 though although that happened in the past with the K7 and KX iso performance.
08-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #94
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
EVF do reduce size. I have a Fuji X100s and I prefer the hybrid viewfinder by a large margin to the optical in my K5. EVF (x100 is both) have the advantage of basically live view shielded from the sun and the handling of a viewfinder. You see the changes in EV compensation etc instantly which is really nice. Manual focus is far superior with an EVF as well. Check out the new Fuji's or a Sony with the latest EVF, they aren't a negative anymore. Lag is being eliminated quickly and you can see in dim light far better. You viewfinder is also much larger similar to a Full Frame.

I would love to see a hybrid viewfinder in the next K series!
Lag on every EVF I have tried is unacceptable to me. I tried the XT-1 and the Sony A7 recently and both failed in lower light, especially while I was wearing glasses and caught a double shimmer on the periphery.

More rez and much less lag and they'll be there.

Note the KS-1 video ad is premised on the prism.

08-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Lag on every EVF I have tried is unacceptable to me. I tried the XT-1 and the Sony A7 recently and both failed in lower light, especially while I was wearing glasses and caught a double shimmer on the periphery.

More rez and much less lag and they'll be there.

Note the KS-1 video ad is premised on the prism.
I wear contacts so didn't have the reflections with glasses so I can see that being irritating. The X100s has a bit of lag when switched to EVF. The XT-1 I tested has less. I have not had issue in low light with my X100, maybe if I was trying to use it for action it wouldn't work but it's not a good action camera. I like the hybrid option so you can switch back and forth. EVF really is just a tiny live view screen in a better location. I change settings through the viewfinder more than the lcd on the back as well.

I see the KS1 is prism, i read somewhere mirrorless and it stuck in my head. A hybrid prism would be awesome and a first if Pentax could pull that off.
08-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
They don't hate Pentax They like the K-5's the K-3 and the K-50.
I just looked at over a dozen Pentax DSLRs on their site, and the fact is, they like most of them. The only ones they were lukewarm (score slightly below 70) on were the K-01, and K-m. Many were recommended or highly recommended, including the *ist D, *ist DS, K-3, K-5II, K-5IIs, K-5, K200D, K-7, K-x, K200D, and K-10D.

Even the ones that weren't glowing reviews still were mostly positive. Doesn't look to me like they hate Pentax at all.
08-28-2014, 03:46 PM   #97
Pentaxian

69%, well, there's only one camera with a lower score - the Nikon 1 J1. I agree, they don't hate Pentax but they're not exactly fair either, by accentuating the "faults" (not always real) and mentioning the good points more like passing remarks.
They even invented ratings specifically for Pentax (the K10D was "Highly recommended... but only just").
08-28-2014, 11:14 PM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
69%, well, there's only one camera with a lower score - the Nikon 1 J1. I agree, they don't hate Pentax but they're not exactly fair either, by accentuating the "faults" (not always real) and mentioning the good points more like passing remarks.
They even invented ratings specifically for Pentax (the K10D was "Highly recommended... but only just").
I'll add on Kunzite about the K10D review which was reviewed against the D200.
In an other review (I think it was the D200 One) they did a retest, changing a setting because they thought it was more honest towards the camera.

The thing is:
1/ they supposedly never (did?) change a setting (how stupid is that) because they always test at default configuration
2/ they still did for the D200 which improved their result but refused to do so for the K10D.

I'm sorry but at least Askey is an amateur (in the bad sense of the word) at best. The only objective thing is DXO which they have nothing to with except they use their tech (but probably do not understand a thing about it).

Do they still measure DR looking at JPEGs ?

ROTFL... DPR...

08-29-2014, 02:55 AM   #99
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-50 is 470 USD for body...K-S1 is 750 USD... I understand nothing in marketing
08-29-2014, 03:00 AM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K-50 is 470 USD for body...K-S1 is 750 USD... I understand nothing in marketing

Well, indeed. To take it to extreme, how about Louis Vuitton bag compared to functionaly same or better noname bag?
08-29-2014, 03:47 AM   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
Fuji beats the K5/K5ii and K3 in iso performance right now.
When I see some DxOMark tests for the Fuji, I will believe that.
08-29-2014, 04:45 AM   #102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
When I see some DxOMark tests for the Fuji, I will believe that.
And I thought Fuji was fiddling with Iso numbers....
Actually Pentax is the nearest compared the tradiitional big OEMs.
It is easy to win DPR noise test because:
  1. DPR are idiots
  2. Nikon says Iso1600 but is in fact 1250.
Conclusion: one is dishonest, the other has no clue so it swallows the pill (or it is dishonest too, take your pick).
08-29-2014, 04:55 AM   #103
Forum Member

I tried a K-S1 at my local dealer and thought the mode wheel quite good for the target user, but not for me as I like to have two dials.
The 4-way buttons inside the dial were fiddly and felt cheap and I didn't care for the grip which was small and uncomfortable. But the menus work well with the mode dial.
08-29-2014, 04:59 AM   #104
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fast50 Quote
I tried a K-S1 at my local dealer and thought the mode wheel quite good for the target user, but not for me as I like to have two dials.
The 4-way buttons inside the dial were fiddly and felt cheap and I didn't care for the grip which was small and uncomfortable. But the menus work well with the mode dial.
You tried a camera that is not available yet? (from september 19). Makes me doubt the veracity of your statement.
08-29-2014, 05:03 AM   #105
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
You tried a camera that is not available yet? (from september 19). Makes me doubt the veracity of your statement.
Never heard of Ricoh reps travelling around stores showing new products?