Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2014, 09:35 PM - 1 Like   #16
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
Apparently dpreview people had their hands on the new camera already. -- I like the blue one!

The K-S1 will be priced $749 / £549 body only, $799 / £599 with an 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 lens, and £679 with that lens as well as a 50-200mm F4-5.6. a very good question was asked: "An even bigger question is why one would buy the K-S1 when Pentax's own K-50 is weather-sealed and less expensive."

BTW, it weights 558g (19.7oz) fully loaded. I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Hands-on with the Pentax K-S1: Digital Photography Review
Pentax K-5 IIs Digital SLR Camera 12050 B&H Photo Video

much better camera is cheaper

08-27-2014, 09:43 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But does the target market want a K5IIs? With all those complex buttons and dials? That is already late in its product cycle (who knows if they're even still making them) and not so many megapickles?

I admit this kooks like really a decent camera but I fear Pentax has made another tactical pricing error.
08-27-2014, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
But does the target market want a K5IIs? With all those complex buttons and dials? That is already late in its product cycle (who knows if they're even still making them) and not so many megapickles?

I admit this kooks like really a decent camera but I fear Pentax has made another tactical pricing error.
You right, this camera is not targeted at all who is discussing it. By the way I think the mode dial on the back is smart and innovative.
P.S. Pentax fans should stop whining...
08-27-2014, 10:09 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The new Olympus E-PL7 sure looks nice. No front LED's. but smaller, tilting touchscreen LCD, built-in Wifi, and cheaper.

08-27-2014, 10:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

To me, it's just stupid to make the grip shorter than that of the body+a pancake lens. The grip on KS-1 looks very uncomfortable and insecure to hold onto, and it doesn't really save weight or storage space. Anyone with me?

---------- Post added 08-27-14 at 10:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
You right, this camera is not targeted at all who is discussing it. By the way I think the mode dial on the back is smart and innovative.
P.S. Pentax fans should stop whining...
Keypad back-lit is definitely a plus.
08-27-2014, 10:50 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
I am not sure who is the targeted used of this camera.
Pentax [USA] can throw some light on that:

QuoteQuote:
If you’re looking to upgrade your mobile photography, the PENTAX K-S1 is sure to smooth the transition with compactness, style and outstanding performance.
PENTAX - K-S1 Black

But the lack of a touch screen works against that transition, IMHO.
08-27-2014, 10:53 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by whk1992 Quote
To me, it's just stupid to make the grip shorter than that of the body+a pancake lens. The grip on KS-1 looks very uncomfortable and insecure to hold onto, and it doesn't really save weight or storage space. Anyone with me?
Totally with you, at least on the first part. (Hard to say how it would feel in the hand, though DPR did say it was "slippery".) I thought that with the K-01 too. I like the K-01 look, and I appreciate the design, but the pointlessly shallow grip and the green button in no man's land were very frustrating (to me).

Overall I like the look of the K-S1. The green LEDs don't cause me to go into conniptions. I may agree with @monochrome on the pricing strategy though. On the one hand, it has some great advanced tech--100% .95x pentaprism, AA simulator, nice new(er) 20mp sensor...but then it has one dial, is not WR, only comes with the cheapest kit lens in Pentax's lineup, and is priced at/above the K-50. I know the price will drop, etc etc. Well maybe next summer or something we'll see a K-60 or whatever with the goodies shown in the K-S1 wrapped in a WR dual-dial body.

Anyway, fun lookin' cam; hope it does well.

08-27-2014, 11:05 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Totally with you, at least on the first part. (Hard to say how it would feel in the hand, though DPR did say it was "slippery".) I thought that with the K-01 too. I like the K-01 look, and I appreciate the design, but the pointlessly shallow grip and the green button in no man's land were very frustrating (to me).

Overall I like the look of the K-S1. The green LEDs don't cause me to go into conniptions. I may agree with @monochrome on the pricing strategy though. On the one hand, it has some great advanced tech--100% .95x pentaprism, AA simulator, nice new(er) 20mp sensor...but then it has one dial, is not WR, only comes with the cheapest kit lens in Pentax's lineup, and is priced at/above the K-50. I know the price will drop, etc etc. Well maybe next summer or something we'll see a K-60 or whatever with the goodies shown in the K-S1 wrapped in a WR dual-dial body.

Anyway, fun lookin' cam; hope it does well.
Price and feature doesn't line up well. By the time the price drops, competitors will come up with improved version of existing products. In fact, why bother selling KS-1 now? Put them in a warehouse for two years and age them in oak barrels first before taking them to the market. Maybe the price will go up!

---------- Post added 08-27-14 at 11:39 PM ----------

Is Pentax gonna make a KS-1 + DA40XS?

---------- Post added 08-27-14 at 11:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Buttons are not complex if you don't touch them at all
(Frankly, why spend $800 bucks on a camera without learning what it does anyway? A prosumer or an entry micro 4/3 camera would do the job with a much lower cost.)
08-28-2014, 12:51 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Pentax [USA] can throw some light on that:

PENTAX - K-S1 Black

But the lack of a touch screen works against that transition, IMHO.
Touch screev vs properly sized buttons, I'd pick buttons
Especially for a DSLR. Physical buttons are super useful, because users are able to control the camera without looking at the buttons. I change settings all the time while my eye is looking at the viewfinder and my nose is touching the screen. Can't change any settings when my nose is actually touching a touch screen, can I?

BTW, does KS-1 has a proximity sensor at its eye piece?
08-28-2014, 01:02 AM   #25
Veteran Member

can we turn of the led off?

what if we want to do long exposure if we can not turn it off?
08-28-2014, 01:23 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I wish Pentax could have used EVF instead OVF and possibly get rid of flash too. That would have given a serious competition to Sony nex series. I will continue to keep my Pentax AF lenses but will pass on this.
08-28-2014, 01:52 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
can we turn of the led off?
Yes. Should be able to turn them all off.
08-28-2014, 02:03 AM   #28
JPT
Pentaxian

I'm a bit disappointed. I think they've got quite a lot wrong with this camera. It's supposed to appeal to people who have rejected DSLRs, but . . .

- it should be lighter
- it should do Wi-Fi out of the box
- it should be weather sealed
- it should have a smaller, quieter kit lens

All of those points are things that the targeted customer would see value in. Instead, amongst he main selling points are . . .
- selectable AA filter
- pentaprism finder

None of this means it is bad camera, but ironically, I think they've made a camera that will appeal to enthusiasts after all. I guess it will do alright with general consumers as well if they market it like the K-30/k-50, but I find their choice of features puzzling.
08-28-2014, 02:08 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I'm a bit disappointed. I think they've got quite a lot wrong with this camera. It's supposed to appeal to people who have rejected DSLRs, but . . .

- it should be lighter
- it should do Wi-Fi out of the box
- it should be weather sealed
- it should have a smaller, quieter kit lens

All of those points are things that the targeted customer would see value in. Instead, amongst he main selling points are . . .
- selectable AA filter
- pentaprism finder

None of this means it is bad camera, but ironically, I think they've made a camera that will appeal to enthusiasts after all. I guess it will do alright with general consumers as well if they market it like the K-30/k-50, but I find their choice of features puzzling.
Same here, I agree with every point made!
08-28-2014, 02:24 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I like the camera as it is but I agree with one point: this camera should have WIFI right out of the box!