Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If I was looking for a mirrorless, I certainly would not buy this.

08-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #62
Pentaxian

If I were looking for mirror less a would not buy a camera with a mirror. Seem fair.
08-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Yes, the primary advantage of an EVF is reducing overall size, not extended information, etc. I talk to young (i.e. college age) photographers all the time, and they constantly rave about the OVFs on their vintage film cameras (yes, they are buying them like crazy, too), but go for EVFs in mirrorless so they can have a more pocketable or "purseable" serious digital camera as a companion. Small size with OVF is a potentially winning combination. I'd be interested to see a retro-styled version of this reduced-size body, which would hit all the sweet spots with the young artsy hipster crowd.
EVF do reduce size. I have a Fuji X100s and I prefer the hybrid viewfinder by a large margin to the optical in my K5. EVF (x100 is both) have the advantage of basically live view shielded from the sun and the handling of a viewfinder. You see the changes in EV compensation etc instantly which is really nice. Manual focus is far superior with an EVF as well. Check out the new Fuji's or a Sony with the latest EVF, they aren't a negative anymore. Lag is being eliminated quickly and you can see in dim light far better. You viewfinder is also much larger similar to a Full Frame.

I would love to see a hybrid viewfinder in the next K series!
08-28-2014, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
The hands-on review said it was very difficult to use. One user said he was "losing skin cells" using it. Change is all well and good when it's an improvement. When it's change just to be "different" at the expense of function, it's not so hot. Some things are better left alone. Imagine a car with the accelerator in the glovebox.
Wel, I strongly suspect, coming from DPR, that it is just too different. Seems stupid, so they didn't even to think if different may actually be OK too.

08-28-2014, 08:32 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
If I were looking for mirror less a would not buy a camera with a mirror. Seem fair.
So it's a aps-c with a optical viewfinder and point and shoot controls, sounds like a winning combination. All the bulk without the handling that makes up for it. I would still pick either the a6000 of Fuji over this, or a K50 or K5II.

Maybe the sensor is amazing but I doubt it's much different than the current options.
08-28-2014, 08:32 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
Yah i think they just don't like pentax in general? If this was a canon they would be gushing over it... sorry but they just seem biased. They actually nitpicked over the *font*???? Seriously? And they state it is a mid level camera and then in the summary say it sucks because it is more expensive than entry level Canikons, washing away the fact that it kills them feature wise.

Very strange, the DPR crew.
I don't think DPR is anti-Pentax, per se. The did give the K-3 their "Gold Award", and stated that the K-50 is a viable, and even advantageous, alternative to the Canikon competition. I do think that DPR has a strong predisposition as to what a camera is and how it should behave, and when they encounter something different, their generally hidebound nature causes them to react negatively. Also, Pentax's lens selection does suffer in comparison with Canokin, so that's a bit of a demerit right there.*

* Although, one could argue that since there are no Limited for Canikon, they are the ones whose lens selection suffers in comparison with Pentax!
08-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I don't think DPR is anti-Pentax, per se. The did give the K-3 their "Gold Award", and stated that the K-50 is a viable, and even advantageous, alternative to the Canikon competition. I do think that DPR has a strong predisposition as to what a camera is and how it should behave, and when they encounter something different, their generally hidebound nature causes them to react negatively. Also, Pentax's lens selection does suffer in comparison with Canokin, so that's a bit of a demerit right there.*

* Although, one could argue that since there are no Limited for Canikon, they are the ones whose lens selection suffers in comparison with Pentax!
They have liked the K7, K5 series and K3 so they aren't anti-pentax. The K50 is also very competitive. If your going for a large camera you want the performance and handling that comes with the tradeoff in weight and bulk. This camera looks like it has the controls of a point and shoot in a DSLR package. Look at what it's up against at the price point and put yourself in the shoes of someone buying a 800 dollar APS-C camera, would you pick this over the other options?

Innovation is great but this is going to be another K01 which can be purchased for 399 with two lenses right now btw.

The Hybrid viewfinder on the X100/s or the EVF on the XT-1, those are both recent advances that add attraction and value to those cameras. Honestly Fuji with the XT-1 is beating pentax at it's own game in APS-C, better (even that the limited) primes and weather sealing in a small package. The sensor in that camera outperforms anything offered in APS-C right now. The "kit" lenses are also much better than anyone elses.

Maybe Pentax will drop an amazing full frame on us at Photokina, hopefully something more competitive that this thing.

Last edited by LeeRunge; 08-28-2014 at 08:45 AM.
08-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #68
Pentaxian

What does "controls of a point and shoot" mean? You've used it twice.
08-28-2014, 09:02 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
What does "controls of a point and shoot" mean? You've used it twice.
The control layout on the back of that camera looks just like what you see on a manual control point and shoot. No front and real dials that allow quick changes to aperture and shutter etc. They even market the control scheme for people switching to this from a smartphone. One of the big advantages to a DSLR is more space for controls. Pentax K series are one of the best in that regard. This looks like a huge step back.

You can pick up a K500 with standard controls and not much bigger in size for 529 dollars with two lenses. This costs @ 250 more with no lens. It's going to be heavily discounted shortly after launch unless that 20mp sensor is revolutionary but I doubt that. Maybe there is a huge untapped market of smart phone users looking for a DSLR with easy controls.

Would you pick this over a K500? or the for it's price s K5II, Fuji XE2, Sony A6000, D5300, Honestly?

Not trying to troll the forum , I'm just not impressed with this.

---------- Post added 08-28-2014 at 10:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Wait. you complain over price, then compare it to the XT-1 which has a street price (~$1300 for the body) of nearly 70% more than the K-S1's MSRP ($750, not $800 as you state)? And as far as I can tell, this has all the same controls as any of the other Pentax entry to mid-level SLRs, just with a streamlined layout. How is that "Point and shoot controls?"
Not comparing prices at all. I used that as an example of good innovation. The XT-1 is competition for the K3. The XE-2 would be direct competition for the KS1 (I would go XE2 over KS1).
08-28-2014, 09:09 AM   #70
Pentaxian

There is a rear e-dial. The layout is different, but the controls are there. If they are trying to sell to people moving from smartphones or P&S, it seems like a good move. I wouldn't buy this camera because it doesn't fit my needs. And I'm not 20.

Frankly you seem like one of the people who looks forward to new products just so you can point out perceived flaws and predict failure. We never see those people when they're proven wrong.
08-28-2014, 09:10 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
The hands-on review said it was very difficult to use. One user said he was "losing skin cells" using it. Change is all well and good when it's an improvement. When it's change just to be "different" at the expense of function, it's not so hot. Some things are better left alone. Imagine a car with the accelerator in the glovebox.
remember it’s dpreview they hate pentax by default ((((((:
08-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
On this one I agree with them. They don't hate Pentax They like the K-5's the K-3 and the K-50. It's just that Nikon gets more credit for gadgetry and better video.
08-28-2014, 09:15 AM   #73
Pentaxian

It's not that they don't like the products when they get around to them; it's just they don't consider Pentax a legitimate camera maker. Like the lovable scamp who keeps trying, so we patronize them once in a while.
08-28-2014, 09:16 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
There is a rear e-dial. The layout is different, but the controls are there. If they are trying to sell to people moving from smartphones or P&S, it seems like a good move.

Frankly you seem like one of the people who looks forward to new products just so you can point out perceived flaws and predict failure. We never see those people when they're proven wrong.
I'm not that type of person at all. I just don't see this as a good change. I've owned two Pentax camera body's a K7 and K5. The K3 is attractive and the K50/500 are great options for that price. If I were in the market for a 750 dollar camera body and not invested in Pentax glass I wouldn't choose this.

You honestly think this will sell well? If you were a new customer you would pick this over other options?

---------- Post added 08-28-2014 at 10:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Which is why they gave the k5, k5ii and K3 a gold award and praised it. lol.
08-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #75
Pentaxian

I have no idea how this will sell, and neither do you. I would want to at least see it and hold it before I could tell if I'd buy it. I would certainly consider it, but again, the target audience is younger than me.

Some people want something different because it's different.