Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think they should make a vertical mode dial to the left of the viewfinder. It would take up less space en still free up space on top of the grip section.

08-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Maybe it'll handle like a Sony. Every button is customizable so after you customize then forget what you customized you'll just stare at the back of your camera puzzled. Maybe that's just me....

Pentax K7/5/3 are imo the best handling camera's on the market.

We shall see if they are giving them away on amazon 6 months after launch like the K01.
08-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #78
Pentaxian

You (LeeRunge) keep moving the goalposts, so it's hard to keep up.
08-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I agree that they don't hate Pentax, but they certainly neglect the brand. The K-3 review situation was a travesty for all involved. And they've still only done a "hands on" with the 645z.
They are late on Pentax reviews, probably from a lack of marketing dollars thrown at them. I'm sure the "delayed" review helps sell more Canikon. They won't buy one if they are unaware it's an option for a year after launch.

---------- Post added 08-28-2014 at 10:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
You (LeeRunge) keep moving the goalposts, so it's hard to keep up.
So would you buy it over the other options if you were fresh to market? Be honest!

08-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
So would you buy it over the other options if you were fresh to market? Be honest!
I answered this above: I would certainly consider it if I were looking for a small dslr; I wouldn't dismiss it before it hits the shelves and I haven't had a chance to handle all the options and compare all features, etc.
08-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Concern trolling.
Man, you say you don't like it and don't think it'll sell and you're a troll. I guess a negative view of a released product is frowned upon here.

For the record I really like my K5, will probably upgrade the body to K3 eventually and have owned a K7. I have a bunch of pentax glass. I don't knock those camera's at all.

---------- Post added 08-28-2014 at 10:39 AM ----------

I answered this above: I would certainly consider it if I were looking for a small dslr; I wouldn't dismiss it before it hits the shelves and I haven't had a chance to handle all the options and compare all features, etc.
Fair enough. I'll come back 6 months after launch and say I'm wrong if it sells like hotcakes.
08-28-2014, 09:43 AM   #82
Pentaxian

Well, it's not really released.

The problem isn't that you don't like it; that's your business. The problem is that you take your issues and project them into the camera-buying public at large. You take incorrect info and play them as faults, never addressing the facts when you're corrected.

Not every camera released is top-of-the-line. There has to be entry- and mid-level as well.

08-28-2014, 09:46 AM - 2 Likes   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I do think that DPR has a strong predisposition as to what a camera is and how it should behave, and when they encounter something different, their generally hidebound nature causes them to react negatively.
So unlike all of us free-thinkers here at PentaxForums, who have open minds and warmly welcome new ideas, concepts, and experiences.

08-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #84
Pentaxian

Not every camera released is top-of-the-line. There has to be entry- and mid-level as well.
K-50/500 were doing that very well. Just needs wifi and articulated (touch)screen. That's all they had to do. Sony will probably stop de 16mp sensor production soon (if they have not already) so the 20mp sensor was going to come anyway. This is clearly aimed at Nikon 1 shooters. A family camera with cute leds and a flashy mode dial but done badly imho. I hope Ricoh wil bring an evolution follow up to the K-50 and that this misguided thing was not it.
08-28-2014, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
So unlike all of us free-thinkers here at PentaxForums, who have open minds and warmly welcome new ideas, concepts, and experiences.

Are you implying that the people who had seizures because the best APS-C on the market said Ricoh on the back might be a little stagnant in their thinking?
08-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #86
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It has a top-mounted rear jog dial, and the flat-mounted rear dial on the back doubles as both the mode selecter and a jog dial for other controls, analogous to the front jog dial.

As far as the X-E2 goes, the viewfinder lag is still noticeable, despite being "best in class," and its resolution is till abysmally low. In many quanitative measures, the K-S1 i superior, too. Better ISO range, higher MP, Faster shutter, better battery life, no AA filter, wider lens selection, etc. The XE2 has the slight edge in burst shooting and more metering points. Neither is weather sealed. It's not like the K-S1 is uncompetitive on specs with other cameras in its price range.
Actually, the Fuji might win that high ISO shootout. They don't have an AA filter, either.
08-28-2014, 10:25 AM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Actually, the Fuji might win that high ISO shootout. They don't have an AA filter, either.
Fuji beats the K5/K5ii and K3 in iso performance right now. Maybe the new 20mp sensor is better, it's untested. I kinda doubt Pentax would trump the flagship K3 in iso with the KS1 though although that happened in the past with the K7 and KX iso performance.
08-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
EVF do reduce size. I have a Fuji X100s and I prefer the hybrid viewfinder by a large margin to the optical in my K5. EVF (x100 is both) have the advantage of basically live view shielded from the sun and the handling of a viewfinder. You see the changes in EV compensation etc instantly which is really nice. Manual focus is far superior with an EVF as well. Check out the new Fuji's or a Sony with the latest EVF, they aren't a negative anymore. Lag is being eliminated quickly and you can see in dim light far better. You viewfinder is also much larger similar to a Full Frame.

I would love to see a hybrid viewfinder in the next K series!
Lag on every EVF I have tried is unacceptable to me. I tried the XT-1 and the Sony A7 recently and both failed in lower light, especially while I was wearing glasses and caught a double shimmer on the periphery.

More rez and much less lag and they'll be there.

Note the KS-1 video ad is premised on the prism.
08-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Lag on every EVF I have tried is unacceptable to me. I tried the XT-1 and the Sony A7 recently and both failed in lower light, especially while I was wearing glasses and caught a double shimmer on the periphery.

More rez and much less lag and they'll be there.

Note the KS-1 video ad is premised on the prism.
I wear contacts so didn't have the reflections with glasses so I can see that being irritating. The X100s has a bit of lag when switched to EVF. The XT-1 I tested has less. I have not had issue in low light with my X100, maybe if I was trying to use it for action it wouldn't work but it's not a good action camera. I like the hybrid option so you can switch back and forth. EVF really is just a tiny live view screen in a better location. I change settings through the viewfinder more than the lcd on the back as well.

I see the KS1 is prism, i read somewhere mirrorless and it stuck in my head. A hybrid prism would be awesome and a first if Pentax could pull that off.
08-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #90
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
They don't hate Pentax They like the K-5's the K-3 and the K-50.
I just looked at over a dozen Pentax DSLRs on their site, and the fact is, they like most of them. The only ones they were lukewarm (score slightly below 70) on were the K-01, and K-m. Many were recommended or highly recommended, including the *ist D, *ist DS, K-3, K-5II, K-5IIs, K-5, K200D, K-7, K-x, K200D, and K-10D.

Even the ones that weren't glowing reviews still were mostly positive. Doesn't look to me like they hate Pentax at all.