Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2014, 11:19 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have any one notes that the are no women discussing K-S1 design, just bunch of dudes...

08-30-2014, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
The X100 and X100s use different sensors. This is like saying the K7 (scored a 63) has horrible iso performance so how can the K5 be good?
You don't get it. I don't give a damn about the performance.
I give a crap about advertising false iso values which in the case of the X100 are:
Code:
Advertised - Real
200 127
400 253
800 504
1600 1000
3200 1012
6400 1076
As measured by DXO. Since you use DXO to witness sharpness of Fuji sensors/lenses, I guess you will accept this as a valid source as well. Won't you?

As for the choice of sensors, if DXO tested a more recent APS Fuji sensor, I could have taken those measurements, indeed.
08-30-2014, 06:48 AM - 3 Likes   #123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Have any one notes that the are no women discussing K-S1 design, just bunch of dudes...
On another thread LaurenOE (She of the anti-Ricoh on the back of the K-3) gives it her stamp of approval after intelligent, thoughtful comments. She is a heavy, pro user of multiple K5's, K5II's and K-3's.
"I'm relieved that we don't have another crazy idea.
For once in recent memory, Pentax/Ricoh is making an honest attempt to attract photographers with something "new" in a dSLR.
"
08-30-2014, 06:56 AM   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If Lauren approves its all good.

08-30-2014, 07:18 AM   #125
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
PF seems to be comprised of (mostly) a bunch of old dudes... One of the few outside reviews was by a woman and she liked it and then as mentioned Lauren likes it.. but I think it is probably 70:30 in favor of dudes here population wise..
08-30-2014, 07:25 AM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
On another thread LaurenOE (She of the anti-Ricoh on the back of the K-3) gives it her stamp of approval after intelligent, thoughtful comments. She is a heavy, pro user of multiple K5's, K5II's and K-3's.
"I'm relieved that we don't have another crazy idea.
For once in recent memory, Pentax/Ricoh is making an honest attempt to attract photographers with something "new" in a dSLR.
Thank you for pointing that out, but the my main point is that photography is “hip” among girls and young women(they are main buying force) who will choose flashy colorful camera or something retro looking over bulky D4 or 5D lookalike. Just watch Pentax comical for K-S1, main characters are girls. So why we man criticize a great tool to open and lear the great world of photography? Anyway anything better then smartphone photography...

---------- Post added 08-30-14 at 17:26 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
PF seems to be comprised of (mostly) a bunch of old dudes... One of the few outside reviews was by a woman and she liked it and then as mentioned Lauren likes it.. but I think it is probably 70:30 in favor of dudes here population wise..
Maybe it’s time to change?

---------- Post added 08-30-14 at 17:49 ----------

Hey maybe K-S1 is read like “kiss"?

Last edited by i83N; 08-30-2014 at 07:50 AM.
08-30-2014, 09:55 AM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
A KS-1/K-500/K-50 body, 18-55mm lens, Lightroom 5/6, SD card, Lens Pen, and useful/easy to follow along tutorials on both beginner SLR photography and Lightroom in a bundle at a reduced price. Box it and sell it in department stores.

I do wonder if a bundle like that would work in the USA. It seems Americans do like bundles.. big boxes of crap at a low price.
K-500 then. The cheaper the better.

08-30-2014, 10:24 AM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
You don't get it. I don't give a damn about the performance.
I give a crap about advertising false iso values which in the case of the X100 are:

I don't really care what DxO says. I care about the images to my eyes from a camera. The X100s look great, that's all that matters. Same ISO setting as my K5, same exposure. DxO also said the K7 sensor was terrible and it wasn't. That site also seems heavily biased toward anything Nikon.
08-30-2014, 10:37 AM   #129
Veteran Member

The K-5 was better rated than the Nikon D7000.

I don't think they're biased towards Nikon, seeing as all the highest rated sensors are Sony sensors. It just seems like the Sony sensors do better, with minor advantages to one manufacturer or another based on read noise, etc.

It's possible that they're wrong about Fuji lying about the X100. I doubt it heavily. I never said anything about the X100s, but as I recall Fuji started lying less in later years. Still, I won't support a company that actively deceives the userbase.
08-30-2014, 11:09 AM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
The K-5 was better rated than the Nikon D7000.

I don't think they're biased towards Nikon, seeing as all the highest rated sensors are Sony sensors. It just seems like the Sony sensors do better, with minor advantages to one manufacturer or another based on read noise, etc.

It's possible that they're wrong about Fuji lying about the X100. I doubt it heavily. I never said anything about the X100s, but as I recall Fuji started lying less in later years. Still, I won't support a company that actively deceives the userbase.
I looked at that X100 review and it looks like the RAW files just stay at ISO 1600 which was probably the camera's max. The X100s max's at iso 6400 in RAW but the Jpegs go to 25600 with excellent results. No doubt that was the sensor's max output and Fuji's JPEG tech took over from there. Fuji does have a very nice JPEG engine. I never paid attention to Fuji until the X100s/Xpro1 XE2 and XT-1 came along. If they continue on current trajectory the new 24mp Xtrans sensors may be amazing, or they may just be "meh" like the transition from Sony's 16mp to 24mp offerings. DxO only analyzes RAW output so no consideration is given to how well a companies processing engines perform. My K5 and X100s are not worlds apart at ISO6400 in RAW but they are in the JPEG's. The key factor is I have to post process RAW and it's more time consuming off the K5 vs the Jpegs which come out very close to what I would have post processed on the K5 out of the camera, it's a huge time saver. Pentax has had a crappy Jpeg engine for years imo.

I didn't know about this ISO debacle until you guys started pointing it out. Fuji seems to have burned a few of you for life!

I'm not warmed to this K-S1 but I may be wrong. The 20mp sensor may be excellent and Pentax, which imo has the best handling cameras may have an excellent control system on board. I ditched my 7d for the K5 primarily for the Pentax handling. They seem to know that the Iphone has the majority of pictures on Flicr and other sites and be aiming for Iphone users who want more control and quality from the pictures. Good luck to them on that front, I certainly want Pentax to succeed as I have a lot of money in Pentax products.
08-30-2014, 11:17 AM   #131
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I don't really care what DxO says. I care about the images to my eyes from a camera. The X100s look great, that's all that matters. Same ISO setting as my K5, same exposure. DxO also said the K7 sensor was terrible and it wasn't. That site also seems heavily biased toward anything Nikon.
Then your lying eyes aren't addressing the issue, which is a standard FUD tactic.
08-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #132
Pentaxian

There is no way a Fuji sensor which in it's basis is also a Sony cmos, like in the K-5 is much better at high iso.
08-30-2014, 11:52 AM   #133
Veteran Member

I both agree and disagree with the consensus here.

I totally dig that Pentax is trying something new, and putting all the controls on the back will, I think, be less intimidating to novices. Meanwhile, though, there is a rock solid camera and all that lens selection available. Once more info and reviews comes out, if they are positive I would consider recommending it as a gift camera for that crowd. The casual female camera users of all ages I talk to have three major complaints that aren't something the person behind the camera can fix:
1) My DSLR is too big & heavy, I leave it at home,
2) My camera is too slow, by the time the picture takes the moment is gone
3) I want to learn, but I don't know where to start with all those controls...

This camera addresses at least two -- I remain skeptical about the viewfinder. It is surely faster than their old P&S, but maybe not fast enough.

BUT -- I don't think they went far enough. I don't see the actual need for a touchscreen, but it would be a good selling point. And it should definitely have WiFi and maybe even apps to upload to FB/Twitter/Instagram/etc. That would be the P&S killer and the ultimate bridge camera.

I also remain skeptical about the ergonomics of that grip. I can give Pentax the benefit of the doubt since their ergonomics tend to be very good, but I sure wouldn't buy one without picking it up and playing with it.
08-30-2014, 12:09 PM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Then your lying eyes aren't addressing the issue, which is a standard FUD tactic.
Meh, maybe you should take a peak at real photos instead of dxomark scores?
08-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #135
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
I both agree and disagree with the consensus here.

I totally dig that Pentax is trying something new, and putting all the controls on the back will, I think, be less intimidating to novices. Meanwhile, though, there is a rock solid camera and all that lens selection available. Once more info and reviews comes out, if they are positive I would consider recommending it as a gift camera for that crowd. The casual female camera users of all ages I talk to have three major complaints that aren't something the person behind the camera can fix:
1) My DSLR is too big & heavy, I leave it at home,
2) My camera is too slow, by the time the picture takes the moment is gone
3) I want to learn, but I don't know where to start with all those controls...

This camera addresses at least two -- I remain skeptical about the viewfinder. It is surely faster than their old P&S, but maybe not fast enough.

BUT -- I don't think they went far enough. I don't see the actual need for a touchscreen, but it would be a good selling point. And it should definitely have WiFi and maybe even apps to upload to FB/Twitter/Instagram/etc. That would be the P&S killer and the ultimate bridge camera.
Perhaps the cost of a touchscreen played a role? I mean if Ricoh has no plans on touchscreens in any of it's cameras (potentially beyond this one had it one) then maybe they looked at that and decided no way jose. It seems all of the Ricoh cameras share technology which probably reduces costs for both design and manufacturing.. having a touch screen special built for this lone camera might have then been a deciding factor against?