Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2014, 12:39 PM   #136
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I looked at that X100 review and it looks like the RAW files just stay at ISO 1600 which was probably the camera's max. .
X100's ISO from ISO1600 and higher are the trickery. It's confirmed by tests. The real ISO1000, but marked as ISO6400. That's why you can see cleaner pictures.

---------- Post added 08-30-2014 at 12:41 PM ----------

Meh, maybe you should take a peak at real photos instead of dxomark scores?
DXO says the truth, it's science. The real pictures at ISO1000 (but marked as 6400) look always better than K-5's picture at ISO6400.

08-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #137
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
X100's ISO from ISO1600 and higher are the trickery. It's confirmed by tests. The real ISO1000, but marked as ISO6400. That's why you can see cleaner pictures.

---------- Post added 08-30-2014 at 12:41 PM ----------

DXO says the truth, it's science. The real pictures at ISO1000 (but marked as 6400) look always better than K-5's picture at ISO6400.

I guess we'll see when they review the x100s and xt1.
08-30-2014, 01:14 PM   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
You don't get it. I don't give a damn about the performance.
I give a crap about advertising false iso values which in the case of the X100 are:
Code:
Advertised - Real
200 127
400 253
800 504
1600 1000
3200 1012
6400 1076
As measured by DXO. Since you use DXO to witness sharpness of Fuji sensors/lenses, I guess you will accept this as a valid source as well. Won't you?

As for the choice of sensors, if DXO tested a more recent APS Fuji sensor, I could have taken those measurements, indeed.
Those figures are totally bogus. I have a Fuji that I use once in a while and can attest that the ISO is "off" but only by about 1/3 stop from my Pentax.
08-30-2014, 01:31 PM   #139
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
And it should definitely have WiFi and maybe even apps to upload to FB/Twitter/Instagram/etc. That would be the P&S killer and the ultimate bridge camera.
@NicoleC - I get where you are going. ]It would need an EMEI number and you would need to sign up for a wireless data plan when you buy it for that to work, so it would essentially be a phone without voice capability (like an iPhone). WTH, why not give it SMS texting tech - THAT would be killer with 12 year old Japanese girls.

I guess being the first dSLR on ATT and Verizon's eqipment list would be cool but good luck getting Mom and Dad to let them add it to the Family Talk Plan.

FluCard let's someone buy the technology once and port it to every following camera they buy rather than paying for it every time.

08-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #140
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Meh, maybe you should take a peak at real photos instead of dxomark scores?
Step 2 of the disrupter: ad hominem attack. Still won't address Fuji's lies about ISO.
08-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #141
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Those figures are totally bogus. I have a Fuji that I use once in a while and can attest that the ISO is "off" but only by about 1/3 stop from my Pentax.
They also refuse to test recent Fuji cameras. My x100s is also very close to my Pentax in exposure. In the end the person behind the camera means more than a dxomark score.
08-30-2014, 01:41 PM   #142
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
@NicoleC - I get where you are going. ]It would need an EMEI number and you would need to sign up for a wireless data plan when you buy it for that to work, so it would essentially be a phone without voice capability (like an iPhone). WTH, why not give it SMS texting tech - THAT would be killer with 12 year old Japanese girls.

I guess being the first dSLR on ATT and Verizon's eqipment list would be cool but good luck getting Mom and Dad to let them add it to the Family Talk Plan.

FluCard let's someone buy the technology once and port it to every following camera they buy rather than paying for it every time.
Nah, everyone is going to have their phone with them anyway so all you need to do is establish the wifi connection to your phone. No need for cellular capability in the camera, too. And what does wifi add to the cost of a camera... $5, $10? Compare that to $100 for the FluCard.

08-30-2014, 01:52 PM   #143
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I guess we'll see when they review the x100s and xt1.
They won't "review" the xt1 because of its non-bayer array. Their reviews grow out of their software support of lens/camera combos. When they start supporting a new camera, they release their analysis of its sensor. However, as far as I can tell, they don't support any x trans cameras.

I don't see any particular indication of bias on the DXO Mark site. They just put their numbers out there. I do think people have become a little over-hyped about Fuji's Jpeg engine. Yes, it is good, but that doesn't mean that similar, or better results aren't possible from other cameras if you shoot RAW and use the right tools.

To me, one of the biggest negatives to Fuji cameras is the poor support the X Tran array gets from third party software companies.
08-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #144
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Nah, everyone is going to have their phone with them anyway so all you need to do is establish the wifi connection to your phone. No need for cellular capability in the camera, too. And what does wifi add to the cost of a camera... $5, $10? Compare that to $100 for the FluCard.
At the factory level what's the cost of a K-S1? (we don't know the actual cost, we know the MSRP including the shipping, markup to the regional distributor, markup to the retailer and markup to the consumer). If you are Canon or Nikon you choose to add the cost of WiFi and delete the cost of . . . . . something Pentax doesn't delete. So we want (or think they should make) a CaNikon camera, but it's different, with Pentax DNA - and advertising and marketing so TargetBestBuyCostCoB&MDealers will stock pallet loads of them - at the same or a better retail price.

It just isn't going to happen.

I don't want WiFi - I don't even want a FluCard. I have a 32Gb EyeFi Pro that does what I need, and only when I (rarely) need that.
08-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #145
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I don't want WiFi - I don't even want a FluCard. I have a 32Gb EyeFi Pro that does what I need, and only when I (rarely) need that.
As NicoleC originally pointed out, it isn't what you want or need they should be considering, it's what will appeal to the target audience.

Wifi and touch-screens would appeal to an audience used to smart-phones and connectivity, so.....
08-30-2014, 02:48 PM   #146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
As NicoleC originally pointed out, it isn't what you want or need they should be considering, it's what will appeal to the target audience.

Wifi and touch-screens would appeal to an audience used to smart-phones and connectivity, so.....
More than they, lost all the other competitors are now starting to build wi-fi directly in.

And almost all cameras that have good video are getting articulated screens.

So it is a question of keeping up...
08-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #147
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
I ge that and I said so - I was responding to IchabodCrane. WiFi isn't as cheap as we think - something else has to be deleted to keep the price down. SO which of the distinguishing elements of Pentax character should they remove - or should they price a Pentax up - and how does this tiny company (within Ricoh cameras are tiny) pay for advertising to support sell-through? And keep the price down?
08-30-2014, 03:25 PM   #148
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When they would make a mirrorless system on aps-c format no penta prism or mirror engine would be necessary. Wifi and articulated touchscreen could replace those. The evf is a premium. You can charge more for it. A Pentaprism should be a premium too.
08-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #149
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't really care what DxO says. I care about the images to my eyes from a camera. The X100s look great, that's all that matters. Same ISO setting as my K5, same exposure. DxO also said the K7 sensor was terrible and it wasn't. That site also seems heavily biased toward anything Nikon.
No it's not same exposure. Geez, think for god sake !
08-30-2014, 04:20 PM   #150
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
No it's not same exposure. Geez, think for god sake !
Same settings on k5 and x100s give very similar exposure, am I missing something? Same shutter, same aperture, same iso. I guess I'm not thinking or seeing.