Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2014, 01:31 PM   #181
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
DReview says that camera has no metal frame.
Where? I don't remember reading such a thing.

08-31-2014, 03:11 PM   #182
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
Wi-Fi would have been attractive on this camera. I use a Eye-Fi and would rather see it built into the camera. Battery issues aren't a big deal if you can turn transfer off in the software. I doubt the added cost would be much.

Touchscreen not so much. Some things in life are better with less menu's to dig through to change settings. Old school dials still trump touchscreens for ergonomics in a camera imo. I'm much younger than most of you. I'm curious to see what they did for the handling with this K-S1 when it's reviewed. Dpreview didn't seem to hot on it but other sites like imaging review will do a better job reviewing the camera. If they minimized menu digging it might be a simple slick interface which would be a big plus for the camera.

Any other camera's out there use the 20mp sensor in this KS-1?
You either have touchscreen OR an articulating screen.

Wi-fi is a no-brainer. All the SD card options are now obsolete kludges. Done.
08-31-2014, 03:32 PM   #183
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You kan
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
DPReview says this: The remainder of the body is a mix of composite and metal and it feels very solid.
Probably poly carbonate and aluminium.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
You either have touchscreen OR an articulating screen.
There is no reason why it can't be both.
08-31-2014, 05:33 PM   #184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote

There is no reason why it can't be both.
Try touching a screen while articulated. You'll put stress on the articulating arms and have no solid resistance. It's a usability and warranty considearation. Articulating screens are meant to be passive. The best part of a touch screen is the capacity to eliminate tactile controls by substitution. But if you have a touch screen that articulates and cannot accurately present tactile feedback then you'll have also include tactile controls. Size advantage lost.

08-31-2014, 06:03 PM   #185
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
DReview says that camera has no metal frame.
Physical Specs (from the Ricoh website)

Body dimensions (W x H x D): 4.75” x 3.65” x 2.75”
Body weight
Without battery or removable memory: 17.6 oz
Loaded and ready: 19.7 oz
Primary construction material(s): Reinforced polycarbonate over metal chassis
Operating temperature: 32-104°F (0 to 40°C)
08-31-2014, 07:21 PM   #186
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
K-50 and K-500 are current entry/mid level cameras. Maybe this one will MSRP for 750 and street for the same price which would make it more competitive. If they discontinue the K-50/500 for this K-S1 that would probably be a silly move. Pentax weather sealing and feature rich entry cameras are what attracts people to the brand vs Nikon/Canon who water down the entry level to avoid cannibalism of the upper camera's.

It's a shame they didn't at least weather seal this one for the same price as the K-50.
It's a shame about the K-30 you mean
09-01-2014, 12:31 AM   #187
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wi-fi is a no-brainer. All the SD card options are now obsolete kludges. Done.
Agree 100%. I guess it's nice that Pentax teamed up with a company to create a "custom" wifi card, but just integrate it into the body! It doesn't need to be able to publish anything--just to be able to push image files to my device. As it is, we're stuck with an expensive memory card option; one capacity, one speed. I've tried Eye-Fi... Maybe this flucard is miles better, but I was not at all impressed. It was very kludgy and more complicated than it needed to be.

09-01-2014, 12:59 AM   #188
Pentaxian

Do you know if in-bodied wi-fi with exchange and monitoring functions can avoid dedicated soft/application ?
Are there such good examples wit other manufacturers ?
just asking : with Samsung no, afaik.
09-01-2014, 01:13 AM   #189
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Do you know if in-bodied wi-fi with exchange and monitoring functions can avoid dedicated soft/application ?
Are there such good examples wit other manufacturers ?
just asking : with Samsung no, afaik.
Yeah, I don't know. Just registering my opinion on the matter. Nikon sells little wifi dongles for like $50, including the associated app. Anyone have any experience with those? Of course, you would lose WR with something like that, and it's still something to plug in and easily lose...
09-01-2014, 01:28 AM   #190
Pentaxian

Worst : if you have Samsung EX2F, you need two android applications : one for tethering, one for wifi-exchange...
and of course, noway if you use an i-phone...
+ i will not insist on the numerous samsung's "parasite" apps and pop-ups you get on your computer when charging those PC-based apps...
09-01-2014, 01:53 AM   #191
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
In specs
Side by Side Comparison: Digital Photography Review
09-01-2014, 04:11 AM   #192
Pentaxian

Try touching a screen while articulated. You'll put stress on the articulating arms and have no solid resistance. It's a usability and warranty considearation. Articulating screens are meant to be passive. The best part of a touch screen is the capacity to eliminate tactile controls by substitution. But if you have a touch screen that articulates and cannot accurately present tactile feedback then you'll have also include tactile controls. Size advantage lost.
Articulated screens are often quite stiff, and touch screens react to very light touches (as anybody with a smart phone knows it is very easy to unintentionally open something). Also there are camera's with articulated touch screens. e.g. the Sony A5100 the EOS 70D.
09-01-2014, 04:57 AM   #193
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Articulated screens are often quite stiff, and touch screens react to very light touches (as anybody with a smart phone knows it is very easy to unintentionally open something). Also there are camera's with articulated touch screens. e.g. the Sony A5100 the EOS 70D.
1. Touchscreen could be switched off in menu of camera
2. Touchscreen's sensitivity is adjustable
09-01-2014, 05:29 AM   #194
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Worst : if you have Samsung EX2F, you need two android applications : one for tethering, one for wifi-exchange...
and of course, noway if you use an i-phone...
+ i will not insist on the numerous samsung's "parasite" apps and pop-ups you get on your computer when charging those PC-based apps...

No, that's the hard way. Given the huge size of the files, many phones won't have enough storage anyway. The easier way -- and they way most people will care about -- is to allow the camera to connect to an existing network, store usernames and passwords, and then use the APIs of sites like Facebook to post lower res versions to their accounts. "Here's us at Disneyland!"

Then enable WiFi transfer to Windows and MacOS desktops using the driver software package. Or just have it connect was a device on the network and use the built in file/copy protocols in the OS.

You have to keep up with any changes in the APIs and new OS version, but you don't have to muck about trying to support hundreds and thousands of hardware devices.

Last edited by NicoleC; 09-01-2014 at 05:31 AM. Reason: typo fix
09-01-2014, 06:14 AM   #195
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Always possible I realise, especially with Apple involved, but ..
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
Then enable WiFi transfer to Windows and MacOS desktops using the driver software package. Or just have it connect was a device on the network and use the built in file/copy protocols in the OS.
I spoke directly, personally, with Jim Malcolm about this (in a conference with ten other PF members posted in the Q Forum). He told me Ricoh had extensive discussions with Apple and others over the course of more than a year, but Ricoh decided they simply weren't willing to comply with (particularly) Apple's requirements if Ricoh was to make use of the API and apps.

Apparently, that decision closed the on-board Wi-Fi door, so they worked with Eye-Fi to develop the card-sensing Menu system and with Flu to develop the card. Ricoh isn't stupid, folks. There's a reason for this solution.