Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hands-on with the Pentax K-S1, $749 body only-- from dpreview.com

Apparently dpreview people had their hands on the new camera already. -- I like the blue one!

The K-S1 will be priced $749 / £549 body only, $799 / £599 with an 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 lens, and £679 with that lens as well as a 50-200mm F4-5.6. a very good question was asked: "An even bigger question is why one would buy the K-S1 when Pentax's own K-50 is weather-sealed and less expensive."

BTW, it weights 558g (19.7oz) fully loaded. I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Hands-on with the Pentax K-S1: Digital Photography Review

Attached Images

Last edited by grahame; 08-27-2014 at 05:44 PM.
08-27-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup, posted already right here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/270673-pentax-k-s1-59.html#post2921722
08-27-2014, 05:52 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Yup, posted already right here: Pentax K-S1!

Sorry, I missed that. That one has new post every second :-)
08-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
"An even bigger question is why one would buy the K-S1 when Pentax's own K-50 is weather-sealed and less expensive."
20 megapixel sensor? Come on we all know its all about the megapixels.

QuoteQuote:
the x-sync speed is 1/180 sec
This camera is Dooooooommmmmmed™

08-27-2014, 06:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

"An even bigger question is why one would buy the K-S1 when Pentax's own K-50 is weather-sealed and less expensive."
You do get a new 20mp sensor, no AA filter, Flu card support and probably some other things too. And NO the LED don't count

One thing I know I could not live with is the "video" mode where the DOF preview should be... Anyone shooting a K7-K5-K3 will at least once toggle to video when checking DOF. For the video lover, it's a good thing I guess, actually one of the most clever way of going into video mode I've seen so far. But for me, it would be even more annoying than the K3 switch...
08-27-2014, 06:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm puzzled how one is expected to rotate the AF/MF switch.

There seems very little to grip on except a slight bump on the top of the switch.
08-27-2014, 06:51 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I guess you push the little button to unlock the switch, turn it, and release it to lock. It might be stronger than the one on previous cameras.

08-27-2014, 07:05 PM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I'm puzzled how one is expected to rotate the AF/MF switch.

There seems very little to grip on except a slight bump on the top of the switch.
It will rarely, if ever, move from AF to MF on the bulk of these sold (at least on purpose).
08-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #9

It actually looks alright from the front when the lights are off (and you *can* deactivate them, thank god). I'm conflicted about the back, I'd have to hold it for myself.

I do kinda wonder who they're trying to sell this camera to though... The lack of AA says camera geek, the lack of WR says casual user, the single dial says person stepping up from point and shoot or smartphone, the size says somebody who kinda wants a mirrorless but doesn't want a 4/3rds sensor... That, plus it costs about the same as the K-50, which is already a solid camera all around. I guess I have the same questions about the SL1. If you wanted a good, small camera and we're willing to pay over $700 anyhow, Fuji and Olympus make some pretty good tech.

Hopefully it works out for Ricoh though! If the camera ends up bringing new people into the K mount system, that's good for the ecosystem. Then maybe they'll come out with the fast telephoto primes and full-frame that they know we want!
08-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
It will rarely, if ever, move from AF to MF on the bulk of these sold (at least on purpose).
I am not sure who is the targeted used of this camera. K50 is more of a ordinary camera that can do everything just good enough, so if I will have to choose only one from these cameras as the only camera, I will buy k50.
I have quite few cameras already, but am thinking getting one to replace K-01 if priced right (now I will have to wait, till price diving). K-S1 is lighter than K-01, although just little bit, but has OVF. in this case, it is ok to not have WR, to have a smaller grip, and to be cute/unusual. And I am planning to use small MF primes with it, if the focus screen is same as K5.
08-27-2014, 07:48 PM   #11

I actually really like my K-01! It's kind of a weirdly shaped camera but it takes great pictures and is nice and quiet. The boxy shape and colorfulness (I have a yellow one) seem to put people at ease--I guess it's less intimidating to be on the other end. My only gripe is that I do miss having a viewfinder... so maybe the K-S1 is the replacement for the K-01!
08-27-2014, 08:05 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sgirvin Quote
My only gripe is that I do miss having a viewfinder
Same here! Really love k-01 when just get it, and still like it, but so many times I miss the OVF, and hate the grip (or lacking of grip). Although I have so many mirror-less cameras, K-01, nex-5n and now NEX-6 (for its EVF), Q, GR, I still have problem holding the camera at arm distance, particularly when focusing manually. And it had been so many times I hold the K-01 close to my forehead to focus.
Just like K-01 is not supposed to be the only camera, at least for most people here, I guess K-S1 will serve as 2nd/or... camera very well.
08-27-2014, 08:08 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Well, it is small compared to the K-50.
08-27-2014, 08:22 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sgirvin Quote
I actually really like my K-01! It's kind of a weirdly shaped camera but it takes great pictures and is nice and quiet. The boxy shape and colorfulness (I have a yellow one) seem to put people at ease--I guess it's less intimidating to be on the other end. My only gripe is that I do miss having a viewfinder... so maybe the K-S1 is the replacement for the K-01!
+1
I love my K-5 but when I borrow / steal my wifes K-01, I'm usually impressed with what it delivers. Sure its hard to use in bright sunlight and autofocus could be faster but exposure and focus accuracy is usually spot on. And I like the size of it too.
08-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #15
mee
Veteran Member

I am not sure who is the targeted used of this camera. K50 is more of a ordinary camera that can do everything just good enough, so if I will have to choose only one from these cameras as the only camera, I will buy k50.
I have quite few cameras already, but am thinking getting one to replace K-01 if priced right (now I will have to wait, till price diving). K-S1 is lighter than K-01, although just little bit, but has OVF. in this case, it is ok to not have WR, to have a smaller grip, and to be cute/unusual. And I am planning to use small MF primes with it, if the focus screen is same as K5.

Targeted user of this camera are 20-somethings who are novices to photography but want to move into an SLR style camera.. I think.

It's not so much designed for us!