Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2014, 07:46 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Hi Gabriel, you have a very nice spread of equipment and lenses to judge from your signature, as well as a fine collection of images on Flickr. I am envious. My strong suggestion would be to stay with what you have for the time being. Only move on when you are sure you have outgrown your gear and it can offer you nothing further. There are two things you could consider in the meantime.

First, set yourself some projects and follow them through. For example, if you'd like to become a very good landscape photographer, then give yourself one year to start out on that course. Learn about it, study the work of leading photographers, read books, join clubs and take lots and lots of shots with the equipment you already have. It is more than up to the task. At the end of the year, pause and assess your progress. Maybe landscape photography it wasn't for you after all - but even if so, you will be a better and more experienced photographer for it. That is my experience. If your chosen project was for you, of course, you may have discovered something wonderful. The projects could be on any subject; landscape is just an example.

Second, before buying any new gear, set out to discover your own personal style. This takes time and can come from many sources, not only photography, but it my experience it is key. It is key not only to your own satisfaction as a photographer but also to taking arresting photographs that no one else could have taken, because they embody your style and no one else's. I've some found essays on Luminous Landscape helpful in this regard. They are by Alain Briot and are all about achieving your personal style. See here and here (for the first of four essays on the topic). There is another important reason for this too. Until someone has a better idea of their own personal style, they really don't know what photographic equipment will suit them best as a means of expressing it. In a sense, they are buying expensive things "blind".

I really would not worry too much about what Pentax is and is not doing. They are sparsely represented even here, too. Personally I'm lukewarm about them for the same reasons as you, but that is completely irrelevant to the task at hand. The task at hand is enjoying your photography, exploring new things and become a better photographer (however one might define that). Pentax equipment will serve for this task as well as any and better than a lot of others, and possibly for some years to come. The "WR" aspect of it in the wet climate here is a real plus. When your equipment is wearing out and you really have reached the end of the road with it, worry about Pentax then. Forget about Pentax for now and just enjoy your very fine collection of equipment.
Hi mecrox,
i won't even bother to respond the others.
I don't know why people got so upset at me, i've never been an anti-Pentax troll.
Thank you a lot for your message. About my flickr website, i'm actually slightly embarrassed by that, those are mostly old shots, but there are still some nice captures in there. I always like to experiment with new equipment and software to try to photograph things differently, my 500px webpage has some examples of that. My style is currently not really defined, but i would really like to become a tripod-mounted landscape photographer
I've decided that, for now, what i'm going to do is get myself a B&W 10 stop nd filter and possibly an IR filter as well, two inexpensive ways to expand my horizon.
Thank you for taking the time to write the message, and i guess i've learned my lesson : even people that seem really nice can get really aggressive when you say something they don't agree with. You and only few others were exceptions to that on this thread.
See you later

08-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #32
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
You seriously have no grounds to speak on with "Pentax is more and more the wrong system to have invested in" when you haven't even used said system!

Frankly, you are not qualified to criticize the entirety of a system and declare conclusions that "Pentax can't get their sh*t straight anymore" when you have no experience with said system and are not a working professional that uses the tools to feed you and your family.
He was speaking from the point of view of someone who has a limited budget, and he never claimed to be a pro. He is qualified to speak of this matter from his unique vantage point. Implying to people that they have no right to confer judgement on a system unless they have tried it out in its entirety is - with all due respect - risible and smacks of elitism. Have you tried all the cameras and lenses ever produced by Pentax? From what I have gathered, you are relatively new to Pentax as well. This guy is probably as qualified as you are, possibly more so, to pass a verdict on Pentax.
08-29-2014, 09:01 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
Oh man...i'm a huge Pentax fan, but i've been thinking about leaving. Actually, all it would take for me to leave would be someone interested in trading my kit for a Nikon kit, or perhaps for a fullframe camera with two lenses or so...or maybe m4/3. Almost anything. It's sad, but i don't think Pentax can get they sh*t straight anymore. Not for me, at least. The K-S1, Q-S1 (i swear i didn't notice they both ended with the same thing), the DA 20-40...those are all REALLY not for me :/
You must be greatest photographer in the world, greater than all "Magnum photo” combined. If you leave Pentax, it will be the great lost for brand name. After your leaving Pentax is certainly doomed!
08-29-2014, 11:24 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
You must be greatest photographer in the world, greater than all "Magnum photo” combined. If you leave Pentax, it will be the great lost for brand name. After your leaving Pentax is certainly doomed!
Pentax is only dooooomed if they don't make a FF within a year... LOL

08-30-2014, 12:07 AM   #35
Veteran Member

To be honest, i dont really know what is going on with the design here. I wasnt sure whether those were led lights on he side and apparently they are. Reminds me of those 90s shoes that would light up :P

Last edited by neostyles; 08-30-2014 at 12:13 AM.
08-30-2014, 12:48 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Reading this thread has been quite entertaining so far
I am not sure if I would actually buy this new camera, but not because I think it is a bad product. I am just still very happy with my K5 and prefer to spend money for good lenses.

Yes, the K-S1 may not be for everyone, especially outside of Japan. I am, however, quite sure that it will be a success in Japan and I don't think it is a bad idea for Ricoh/Pentax to make sure they stay (relatively) strong in their most important market to have a solid base for further development. I'll be in Tokyo and Nagoya again in 4 weeks and I am sure there will be some nice (colorfull) display of K-S1 variations at BIC Camera or Yodobashi. Will be fun to hang around there.

Besides some design questions which are allways a matter of taste, for me it ist still most important to have a tool that is able to deliver excellent photos - looking at the specs of the K-S1 there is no doubt that this camera is so much more capable than we could be dreaming of just 5 years ago! So what's the problem? Enjoy shooting!
08-30-2014, 06:28 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's why :
DA 20-40 announced. Short range, not too fast, but okay, great metal construction. But for ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS? I'd rather have a cheap plastic 17-50 2.8.
This is just an example of what has been making it impossible for me to stay with the Pentax.
Lenses like Canon's $300 10-18 and their $400 85mm 1.8 are much more appealing to me. And they all have built-in focusing motors! Why can't Pentax use their technology (in-body SR and in-body motor) to make cheap lenses?
It has nothing to do with your age, I promise. It has to do more with your perspective

The 20-40 is not for everyone... maybe partly why they call it a Limited! All Limiteds are and always, premium lenses.
And yes I do have the "cheap plastic" 17-50 f2.8 from Tamron. It's not really cheap, and for plastic it feels good in the hand. It's also my main workhorse lens. Never made me think about leaving Pentax, even though my main lens is a Tamron lol

built-in focusing motors - well, Pentax lenses with screwdrive ALL work from entry-level to high-end, and of course those with DC and SDM motors. What you don't see about Canikon offers is that, especially if you're using an entry-level Canikon body, many of their affordable lenses (with exception perhaps of those you mentioned) don't come with built-in motors, like the D-series ones from Nikon (the G ones have motors). So, that's quite a bit of a compromise there already.

The fact that you own a Pentax means you've done more research than 90% of buying customers of your age, taking big brand name in low priority in getting good value products. The glass in your sig are also good ones definitely. Why switch now?

08-30-2014, 07:20 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
He was speaking from the point of view of someone who has a limited budget, and he never claimed to be a pro. He is qualified to speak of this matter from his unique vantage point. Implying to people that they have no right to confer judgement on a system unless they have tried it out in its entirety is - with all due respect - risible and smacks of elitism. Have you tried all the cameras and lenses ever produced by Pentax? From what I have gathered, you are relatively new to Pentax as well. This guy is probably as qualified as you are, possibly more so, to pass a verdict on Pentax.

How can you be serious? If someone wants to assert "they can't get their shit together" a highly provocative statement in itself they should at least have handled the thing. That's not elitist. It's common sense.
08-30-2014, 07:47 AM   #39
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
How can you be serious? If someone wants to assert "they can't get their shit together" a highly provocative statement in itself they should at least have handled the thing. That's not elitist. It's common sense.
That statement was not at all provocative. It was a minor annex to the negativism surrounding this camera; others here have said far more unpleasant things about the K-S1.
08-30-2014, 07:58 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Not a complaint, but I found it curious that so many of the sample photos were taken in New York City, and of Caucasians rather than Japanese. I guess that fits the Japanese style of advertising where they often hire American celebrities as spokespeople.

Maybe Ricoh USA's ad will only show scenes from Tokyo ;-)
08-30-2014, 10:09 AM   #41
Veteran Member

That statement was not at all provocative. It was a minor annex to the negativism surrounding this camera; others here have said far more unpleasant things about the K-S1.
This is Pentax Forums, all people do is post negativity about Pentax. I won't quibble over whether it's more or less provocative when it's accompanied by gratuitous 4 letter words. That's not the point. You charged someone with "elitism" because they suggested that negativity should be based in some actual experience with the camera. That's about as ridiculous as the constant hand wringing over brand prestige.
08-30-2014, 10:20 AM   #42
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
This is Pentax Forums, all people do is post negativity about Pentax. I won't quibble over whether it's more or less provocative when it's accompanied by gratuitous 4 letter words. That's not the point. You charged someone with "elitism" because they suggested that negativity should be based in some actual experience with the camera. That's about as ridiculous as the constant hand wringing over brand prestige.

Let me put it this way: I don't have to handle the 645Z in order to tell that it is not for me.

That four letter word must have caused you genuine indignation. The guy is 17 years of age and English is not his first language. Lay off him.
08-30-2014, 10:23 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi mecrox,
i won't even bother to respond the others.
I don't know why people got so upset at me, i've never been an anti-Pentax troll.
Being first on a thread with such a comment sours the experience for us more than you might have expected. Coming to a video thread does not prepare us for your remarks and it feels deliberately hurtful. If you wish to post something about the video that connects to your thoughts (others have said "this camera is going the wrong direction for me" in rather harsh ways) fine, but just dumping on Pentax as the first post brought out the beast in many of us.

I've pre-ordered the camera - vive la différence! Imagine the reaction if my post came first instead of yours.
08-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Oh man...i'm a huge Pentax fan, but i've been thinking about leaving. Actually, all it would take for me to leave would be someone interested in trading my kit for a Nikon kit, or perhaps for a fullframe camera with two lenses or so...or maybe m4/3. Almost anything. It's sad, but i don't think Pentax can get they sh*t straight anymore. Not for me, at least. The K-S1, Q-S1 (i swear i didn't notice they both ended with the same thing), the DA 20-40...those are all REALLY not for me :/

I am with you man. Its like when my fav band totally sold out and changed their sound to be all hip. I totally disliked them on facebook and broke all of their cds.
08-30-2014, 10:30 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Let me put it this way: I don't have to handle the 645Z in order to tell that it is not for me.

That four letter word must have caused you genuine indignation. The guy is 17 years of age and English is not his first language. Lay off him.

Not for you? What's that got to do with Pentax "getting its shit together" in the most sweeping of generalizations? How many places are you going to drag the goal posts?

Genuine indignation huh? You're the one white-knighting a guy who should be fighting his own battles.

And you've poisoned debate enough to earn an ignore.