Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for posting the video link.

How very different Japan is. Imagine, say, Google or Microsoft launching a new product for a younger audience using three middle-aged executives in sober suits with the measured approach of IBM-men from back in the day. It would be ridiculed. Yet here is a similar approach used centre-stage as a guarantor of quality and serious attention to good values. I'm not trying to be critical; I have a lot of respect for this approach. This is their culture, or that's the impression I take from the video as a Westerner. It's part of their core. I'm not sure it works for us, so in a way you go for things like the K-S1 because they are so Japanese and not despite it. TBH, I think that extends across quite a range of things Pentax do.

Last edited by mecrox; 09-04-2014 at 12:02 PM.
09-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #77

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote

How very different Japan is. Imagine, say, Google or Microsoft launching a new product for a younger audience using three middle-aged executives in sober suits with the measured approach of IBM-men from back in the day. It would be ridiculed. Yet here is a similar approach used centre-stage as a guarantor of quality and serious attention to good values. I'm not trying to be critical; I have a lot of respect for this approach. This is their culture, or that's the impression I take from the video as a Westerner. It's part of their core. I'm not sure it works for us, so in a way you go for things like the K-S1 because they are so Japanese and not despite it. TBH, I think that extends across quite a range of things Pentax do.
I think you're right. You make several very good points I did not even think about! I've often wondered how the Pentax executives view our forum chatter considering how critical and in-your-face things can get here. There is a cultural distance between us and a very different business culture.
09-04-2014, 06:56 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
Hey guys...my comment has nothing to do with the infomercial.
I've been losing interested in Pentax for quite some time.
The one thing that is forcing me to stay with the company is that it's almost impossible to sell my stuff here in Brazil. They don't give us support, they don't sell here, therefore the used market is also small.
About my budget : I'm 17 years old, and i own many guitars, so all of that combined makes my budget not too high.
I do own many lenses that i wouldn't if i had another brand of camera, because i found them for cheap on the used market, but yet, the recent Pentax news have been bothering me.
Here's why :
DA 20-40 announced. Short range, not too fast, but okay, great metal construction. But for ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS? I'd rather have a cheap plastic 17-50 2.8.
This is just an example of what has been making it impossible for me to stay with the Pentax.
Lenses like Canon's $300 10-18 and their $400 85mm 1.8 are much more appealing to me. And they all have built-in focusing motors! Why can't Pentax use their technology (in-body SR and in-body motor) to make cheap lenses?
How is comparing Pentax's DA 20-40mm lens to Canon's 85mm 1.8 even a comparison? That's apples to oranges.
09-04-2014, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shaX 07 Quote
How is comparing Pentax's DA 20-40mm lens to Canon's 85mm 1.8 even a comparison? That's apples to oranges.
He wasn't saying he's trying to decide between one or the other. He says he wants an apple, not an orange, and Pentax is only selling oranges.

That's a fair statement... but Pentax hasn't sold apples for decades, so I'm surprised he's surprised.

09-04-2014, 07:55 PM   #80
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Its name was later changed to "Riken Optical Co., Ltd.", and then, with further expansions in the range of products and services, the name was changed again in 1963, to the current name, "Ricoh Company, Ltd."
They were making cameras under the Ricoh name in the mid-1950s.
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Ricoh's "optical technology", which began with photosensitive paper, have gone on to include lenses, mirrors, lasers, and other optical components, as well as copiers and multifunction printers, printers, fax machines. These optical technologies have become the foundation of Ricoh's technical strengths, applied to fields such as office solutions, printing, imaging, and devices, creating a wide range of products and services.
Cameras! They were a maker of cameras and lenses from way back!

BTW...thank you for the explanation regarding "light". That was very helpful.

Steve
09-04-2014, 09:56 PM   #81

The difference is obvious. The Japanese like corporate ads with R&D stuffs talking about how good their product is. They think that the quality of the product is more plausible if those responsible for making it give us a pitch. Or it seems more trustworthy than sales guys talk, at least.

You see two guys in this commercial: the first guy is from product marketing and the other (do you remember Mr. Kitazawa?) is a director in R&D division.

Honestly, I don't like this kind of commercial. It seems that corporate egos are too apparent like "I made this. So you buy this!" I might be biased, of course.
09-05-2014, 12:15 AM   #82

Another official commercial.

PENTAX K-S1: Life Captured:

09-05-2014, 12:41 AM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Daikokuya Quote
Honestly, I don't like this kind of commercial. It seems that corporate egos are too apparent like "I made this. So you buy this!" I might be biased, of course.
But the alternative appears to be: "I'm a celebrity and I have nothing to do with this product. So you buy this!"
09-05-2014, 01:04 AM   #84

QuoteOriginally posted by Gnarelsek Quote
PENTAX K-S1: Life Captured: PENTAX K-S1: Life Captured - YouTube
Just wondering how you should do the shown slow motion parts in full HD with the K-S1.
(Don't flame me, I like the cam - but hey, let's stay real, please. )
09-05-2014, 02:34 AM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But the alternative appears to be: "I'm a celebrity and I have nothing to do with this product. So you buy this!"
Sometimes, R&D-stuffs-pitching-products ads are annoying indeed. It seems like narcissistic and ignorant of consumer's views. This time Pentax hasn't used a popular actor Osamu Mukai who was in the K-50 ad. I'm not sure why. It could be due to the termination of contract.
09-05-2014, 03:10 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Daikokuya Quote
The difference is obvious. The Japanese like corporate ads with R&D stuffs talking about how good their product is. They think that the quality of the product is more plausible if those responsible for making it give us a pitch. Or it seems more trustworthy than sales guys talk, at least.

You see two guys in this commercial: the first guy is from product marketing and the other (do you remember Mr. Kitazawa?) is a director in R&D division.

There are three fellows. The third, towards the end, is a Ricoh executive, A smooth performer. I think. In some strange way, he reminds me of the British prime minister.
09-05-2014, 03:32 AM   #87

There are three fellows. The third, towards the end, is a Ricoh executive, A smooth performer. I think. In some strange way, he reminds me of the British prime minister.
Oops sorry. I forgot one. Mr. Murano is a managing director of Ricoh Imaging. I think he is from Sony.
09-05-2014, 09:41 PM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gnarelsek Quote
PENTAX K-S1: Life Captured: PENTAX K-S1: Life Captured - YouTube
The most interesting thing about this spot is the end. They flash "Pentax S-K1" and then the next frame is "Ricoh" confusing? Is it a Pentax? Ricoh?

NaCl(I'm glad I don't need or want this camera because now I'm totally confused)H2O
09-05-2014, 10:11 PM   #89

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
The most interesting thing about this spot is the end. They flash "Pentax S-K1" and then the next frame is "Ricoh" confusing? Is it a Pentax? Ricoh?

NaCl(I'm glad I don't need or want this camera because now I'm totally confused)H2O
I took it a bit differently ... instead of leaving it just Pentax, which is recognizable as a camera brand,
they felt the need to whizz all over it with 'Ricoh' like they were marking this particular fire hydrant as theirs.

Pretty juvenile, considering how many recognizable brands are owned by so few parent companies, but don't make a big deal about it. For example:

And yes, it is confusing, 'cuz aren't them Ricoh boys makin' photocopiers and cash registers and fax-whatnots?

(BTW, had a new person working for me last year, they asked what a 'fax' was... heh. I resisted messing with them, but it was sooo tempting..)
09-05-2014, 11:21 PM   #90

QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
And yes, it is confusing, 'cuz aren't them Ricoh boys makin' photocopiers and cash registers and fax-whatnots?
Ricoh also has lucrative contracts with Fed. government and does a lot of work for the U.S. Defense department.

Ricoh Federal - Services & Solutions | Ricoh-USA