Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2014, 09:56 AM   #16
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
Hey guys...my comment has nothing to do with the infomercial.
I've been losing interested in Pentax for quite some time.
The one thing that is forcing me to stay with the company is that it's almost impossible to sell my stuff here in Brazil. They don't give us support, they don't sell here, therefore the used market is also small.
About my budget : I'm 17 years old, and i own many guitars, so all of that combined makes my budget not too high.
I do own many lenses that i wouldn't if i had another brand of camera, because i found them for cheap on the used market, but yet, the recent Pentax news have been bothering me.
Here's why :
DA 20-40 announced. Short range, not too fast, but okay, great metal construction. But for ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS? I'd rather have a cheap plastic 17-50 2.8.
This is just an example of what has been making it impossible for me to stay with the Pentax.
Lenses like Canon's $300 10-18 and their $400 85mm 1.8 are much more appealing to me. And they all have built-in focusing motors! Why can't Pentax use their technology (in-body SR and in-body motor) to make cheap lenses?
Investing in any brand has its advantages and drawbacks. For instance, I have noticed that the Sigma 30mm 1.4 in Pentax mount costs 469 Euros, whereas the Nikon mount version of the same lens can be had for 289 Euros. That's a huge difference. The third party lens manufacturers do more to accomodate Canikon.

I agree that Pentax should take steps to keep consumers on a budget happy; currently there are only two cheap primes available; that's far from sufficient. Although these lenses surpass Canon's lenses in terms of build quality, they lag far behind Nikon: the 35mm 1.8 comes with a metal mount.

Pentax make solid cameras: I have had my Kr for three years, subjected it to heavy use, and it is still without a scratch. I seriously doubt that a non-pro camera from Canikon would have survived that long in my hands. This in itself is a weighty reason for choosing Pentax. Furthermore, I don't like shooting with adapters and I'm into ancient glass; that's another reason for choosing Pentax.

If durable cameras for non-pros and old school glass are of no interest to you, then you are free to commit yourself to any brand you like. Samsung might be right down your alley: they make excellent primes and sell them at a very reasonable price.

---------- Post added 08-29-14 at 19:02 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Bye bye.
I'm into reverse psychology as well.

08-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Thanks but since 2 years, anything smaller than 4x5 really is to small to me
was directed at gabriel, thibs
08-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
I'm into reverse psychology as well.
Ha. But he was just being boriscleto'd™
08-29-2014, 12:50 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
ha. But he was just being boriscleto'd™
rotfl

---------- Post added 29-08-14 at 20:51 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
was directed at gabriel, thibs
I thought so, still had to..

08-29-2014, 01:44 PM   #20
Veteran Member

You know, guys...i've always considered this to be the most friendly forum i've seen, but i guess it's just a matter of saying something against Pentax that everyone starts to bash me.
I think i made some fair points, and i'm not even a Pentax hater...
What can you do...people are easily obsessed with a brand and even forget what civilized talk means.
08-29-2014, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Why do you have to tell us you don't like Pentax anymore on a thread about a Pentax K-S1 "infomercial"?
And how do you think we should react? Sympathize with you and jump ship en masse? Get angry at Pentax because they don't make what you want (and only what you want)?

No, the best answer to such posts is:
Bye bye.
08-29-2014, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh man...i'm a huge Pentax fan, but i've been thinking about leaving. Actually, all it would take for me to leave would be someone interested in trading my kit for a Nikon kit, or perhaps for a fullframe camera with two lenses or so...or maybe m4/3. Almost anything. It's sad, but i don't think Pentax can get they sh*t straight anymore. Not for me, at least. The K-S1, Q-S1 (i swear i didn't notice they both ended with the same thing), the DA 20-40...those are all REALLY not for me :/
Hey guys...my comment has nothing to do with the infomercial. I've been losing interested in Pentax for quite some time. The one thing that is forcing me to stay with the company is that it's almost impossible to sell my stuff here in Brazil. They don't give us support, they don't sell here, therefore the used market is also small. About my budget : I'm 17 years old, and i own many guitars, so all of that combined makes my budget not too high. I do own many lenses that i wouldn't if i had another brand of camera, because i found them for cheap on the used market, but yet, the recent Pentax news have been bothering me. Here's why : DA 20-40 announced. Short range, not too fast, but okay, great metal construction. But for ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS? I'd rather have a cheap plastic 17-50 2.8. This is just an example of what has been making it impossible for me to stay with the Pentax. Lenses like Canon's $300 10-18 and their $400 85mm 1.8 are much more appealing to me. And they all have built-in focusing motors! Why can't Pentax use their technology (in-body SR and in-body motor) to make cheap lenses?
With all due respect, you are going to chastise Pentax and consider leaving, that all it would take is for someone to offer you an easy (and cheap) out, and you're gone? That's fine, and I completely understand if that's legitimate.

But (and here's where the "all due respect" comes into play) looking at your signature and your list of gear/lenses - you haven't even tasted what Pentax has to offer. You seriously have no grounds to speak on with "Pentax is more and more the wrong system to have invested in" when you haven't even used said system!

AND, you have a bunch of all-manual glass (which is awesome) - are you not aware that none of those, were you to find the equivalents in whatever other system you trade to, would be stabilized? NONE of them, yet all of them are right now with Pentax's IBIS.

Again, I am not trying to be rude, and I understand personal decisions and the motivations behind them, but you are being unrealistic. Frankly, you are not qualified to criticize the entirety of a system and declare conclusions that "Pentax can't get their stuff straight anymore" when you have no experience with said system and are not a working professional that uses the tools to feed you and your family.

All because one product is announced and it doesn't agree with your preferences...

-Heie

Last edited by Ash; 09-07-2014 at 01:55 AM. Reason: typo
08-29-2014, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

You know, guys...i've always considered this to be the most friendly forum i've seen, but i guess it's just a matter of saying something against Pentax that everyone starts to bash me.
I think i made some fair points, and i'm not even a Pentax hater...
What can you do...people are easily obsessed with a brand and even forget what civilized talk means.

Seriously? I mean the top post in the K-3 forum is "why I won't buy a K3." The K-3 is the best APS-C camera made yet. This negativity is par for the course on this forum. If you want another brand, put that stuff on ebay, and buy a new camera system. It's not hard. Brand tribalism is stupid. Your "fair points" are someone else's "who cares." I've thought about buying a Fuji system myself, but at the end of the day, I've already got more camera than my talent warrants.

ANY dSLR camera made in the last 5 years has better image quality than professional medium format systems from 20 years ago -- that includes shitty Canon Rebels which are a total rip-off compared to the competition. The question is what are you doing with all this image quality?

The hand wringing on this forum. . . . or any camera forum from any brand (it's not just Pentax) is absurd at this point.
08-29-2014, 02:31 PM - 2 Likes   #24

To an outsider, I am sure a lot of us sound like a bunch of whiny, spoiled brats. Take some photos, and enjoy what you have. If you need something else, work toward that goal--taking photos along the way, of course.
08-29-2014, 03:44 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey guys...my comment has nothing to do with the infomercial.
I've been losing interested in Pentax for quite some time.
The one thing that is forcing me to stay with the company is that it's almost impossible to sell my stuff here in Brazil. They don't give us support, they don't sell here, therefore the used market is also small.
About my budget : I'm 17 years old, and i own many guitars, so all of that combined makes my budget not too high.
I do own many lenses that i wouldn't if i had another brand of camera, because i found them for cheap on the used market, but yet, the recent Pentax news have been bothering me.
Here's why :
DA 20-40 announced. Short range, not too fast, but okay, great metal construction. But for ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS? I'd rather have a cheap plastic 17-50 2.8.
This is just an example of what has been making it impossible for me to stay with the Pentax.
Lenses like Canon's $300 10-18 and their $400 85mm 1.8 are much more appealing to me. And they all have built-in focusing motors! Why can't Pentax use their technology (in-body SR and in-body motor) to make cheap lenses?
Hi Gabriel, you have a very nice spread of equipment and lenses to judge from your signature, as well as a fine collection of images on Flickr. I am envious. My strong suggestion would be to stay with what you have for the time being. Only move on when you are sure you have outgrown your gear and it can offer you nothing further. There are two things you could consider in the meantime.

First, set yourself some projects and follow them through. For example, if you'd like to become a very good landscape photographer, then give yourself one year to start out on that course. Learn about it, study the work of leading photographers, read books, join clubs and take lots and lots of shots with the equipment you already have. It is more than up to the task. At the end of the year, pause and assess your progress. Maybe landscape photography it wasn't for you after all - but even if so, you will be a better and more experienced photographer for it. That is my experience. If your chosen project was for you, of course, you may have discovered something wonderful. The projects could be on any subject; landscape is just an example.

Second, before buying any new gear, set out to discover your own personal style. This takes time and can come from many sources, not only photography, but it my experience it is key. It is key not only to your own satisfaction as a photographer but also to taking arresting photographs that no one else could have taken, because they embody your style and no one else's. I've some found essays on Luminous Landscape helpful in this regard. They are by Alain Briot and are all about achieving your personal style. See here and here (for the first of four essays on the topic). There is another important reason for this too. Until someone has a better idea of their own personal style, they really don't know what photographic equipment will suit them best as a means of expressing it. In a sense, they are buying expensive things "blind".

I really would not worry too much about what Pentax is and is not doing. They are sparsely represented even here, too. Personally I'm lukewarm about them for the same reasons as you, but that is completely irrelevant to the task at hand. The task at hand is enjoying your photography, exploring new things and become a better photographer (however one might define that). Pentax equipment will serve for this task as well as any and better than a lot of others, and possibly for some years to come. The "WR" aspect of it in the wet climate here is a real plus. When your equipment is wearing out and you really have reached the end of the road with it, worry about Pentax then. Forget about Pentax for now and just enjoy your very fine collection of equipment.
08-29-2014, 04:02 PM   #26
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenntak Quote
To an outsider, I am sure a lot of us sound like a bunch of whiny, spoiled brats. Take some photos, and enjoy what you have. If you need something else, work toward that goal--taking photos along the way, of course.

Just to the outsiders?
08-29-2014, 05:18 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder which response will have the deepest effect:
  • boriscleto™ et alia
  • mecrox killing with kindness
  • reading and not feeding
08-29-2014, 05:33 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
reading and not feeding
You're an idealist.
08-29-2014, 06:36 PM   #29

But if a company doesn't make me want to buy a new thing every few months they're DOOMED!
08-29-2014, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Until Nikon introduce in body stabilisation then they have little appeal for prime shooters! Get some limiteds, take some photos, and don't worry about Japanese infomercials!

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/271568-k-s1-japanes...#ixzz3BpoLrB7c
This has never really been a problem for me as nikon's full frame systems offer several stops of iso performane over pentax's smaller sensors. Better iso = faster shutter speed = no need for shake reduction atleast with smaller lenses. I mean, my k20d had in body shake reduction. and i had a pretty big problem with shaky shots, whereas i find that i can do hand held shots with virtually zero worry about getting shakiness. Especially with my 50mm 1.8. I find superior iso performance has made a much bigger difference than shake reduction, but that's just me. With bigger lenses this might be a problem, but no one is going to do hand held shots with a 20lb lens so this is academic. I think pentax's biggest weakness is that they discount a full frame camera. Full frame gives you a "middle of the road" option between the smaller aps-c and spending $10,000 on a medium format camera.

Last edited by neostyles; 08-29-2014 at 06:54 PM.