Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #61

Photos: Gallery
The english version helps - a bit more background on what they were thinking. They really should have released/pushed this at the same moment as the camera.

09-03-2014, 05:30 PM   #62
Pentaxian

I think they did - I saw the English video last week. I thought everyone knew about it...
09-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
Oh man...i'm a huge Pentax fan, but i've been thinking about leaving. Actually, all it would take for me to leave would be someone interested in trading my kit for a Nikon kit, or perhaps for a fullframe camera with two lenses or so...or maybe m4/3. Almost anything. It's sad, but i don't think Pentax can get they sh*t straight anymore. Not for me, at least. The K-S1, Q-S1 (i swear i didn't notice they both ended with the same thing), the DA 20-40...those are all REALLY not for me :/
Close the door on the way out....

---------- Post added 09-03-14 at 09:20 PM ----------

You know, guys...i've always considered this to be the most friendly forum i've seen, but i guess it's just a matter of saying something against Pentax that everyone starts to bash me.
You need a little hand holding?

That is so sad you don't like your Pentax gear.... you should sell it and get something you like... there ya go now... live and learn..

Better?
09-03-2014, 06:21 PM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh man...i'm a huge Pentax fan, but i've been thinking about leaving. Actually, all it would take for me to leave would be someone interested in trading my kit for a Nikon kit, or perhaps for a fullframe camera with two lenses or so...or maybe m4/3. Almost anything. It's sad, but i don't think Pentax can get they sh*t straight anymore. Not for me, at least. The K-S1, Q-S1 (i swear i didn't notice they both ended with the same thing), the DA 20-40...those are all REALLY not for me :/
I have a KSSuper and a Sears 50/2 and Vivitar 28/2 I can swap you. Black paint Like New!

09-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #65

About the infomercial: I've watched it several times, the last time with the sound off. Notice how they linger in the video when they show the K-S1 grip with the LED lights. They follow that with the slogan "Hold light in your hand" in Japanese. (fanfare here) What I get from this is that they think the LED grip is a big deal. So much so that they've linked it to their big advertising catchphrase "Hold light in your hand" for the KS-1 roll out. What do you think about this marketing strategy?

Why is English version not posted here?
09-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #66

Not posted here? It is on page 4.
09-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hold light in your hand:

What do I think? Meh. Marketing. SO WHAT?

Uhmmmm - if you hold the camera by the grip the light isn't visible?

(The LED's just are a different emulation of the ubiquitous countdown timer and function as a face-detection counter for tripod self-shots).

09-03-2014, 07:11 PM   #68

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenntak Quote
Not posted here? It is on page 4.
Missed it somehow...

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hold light in your hand:

What do I think? Meh. Marketing. SO WHAT?
But Monochrome you care about so much about all things Pentax and your 11,824 posts prove it. I'm disappointed. Any other less dismissive viewpoints here?
Sincerely interested.
09-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #69

I thought the "Hold Light in you hand" might refer to some of the colors:

"Night Sky Collection, with 5 more elegant colors like Sunset Orange, Dawn Purple, and Midnight Black."

http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/dslr#anchor1074
09-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
About the infomercial: I've watched it several times, the last time with the sound off. Notice how they linger in the video when they show the K-S1 grip with the LED lights. They follow that with the slogan "Hold light in your hand" in Japanese. (fanfare here) What I get from this is that they think the LED grip is a big deal. So much so that they've linked it to their big advertising catchphrase "Hold light in your hand" for the KS-1 roll out. What do you think about this marketing strategy?
Purely symbolic, light is a re-birth or a new beginning, .... coming out of the dark....illuminating. the lights on the grip are a nice little tie in to the message.

but I could be wrong.
09-03-2014, 07:21 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@jeffknight If not sarcasm -- What I've said from the beginning:

I think the design is interesting. The camera has strong spec's. I don't care about Wi-Fi but apparently I'm wrong about Wi-Fi - Flu/Pentax isn't the answer. If so, I do wonder what's going on in Tokyo.

LED's - They're fine for the functional use, especially the Still/Video signal and the backlit Mode Dial. The grip LED's are a bit over-the-top IMO when always-on - and they are covered when you hold the camera. (OOPS)

Ricoh will sell plenty of these in Asia, not so much in USA unless they're in big box retailers - and what's the chance of that without television? They'll make money on the planned production run. Good for them. Ricoh is Japan-centric.

Why all the drama? "What was Pentax Thinking?" I want my Maypo. Wah, Wah, Wah.

They gave us K-3 and 645Z - let them do their thing with this camera and move on.

It isn't 'Just Hold a Pentax' but I bet it's derivative of that.*

Historically I've been intensely critical of Ricoh America (Pentax USA - whatever) and that hasn't really changed, though I think the current administration is probably stuck with a broken business model that just can't be fixed.

* 11825 only proves OCD

Last edited by monochrome; 09-03-2014 at 07:50 PM.
09-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #72

I like the simple "Hold light in your hand" slogan though it might be losing something in the translation. The camera captures light and contains it in a way, etc, etc. The LED's seem a bit much but I don't hate them. (I'm more worried about the ergonomics of the grip.) M is dead right about Pentax being Japan-centric. One presumes they know their own market and the K-S1 will take off. I'm just really glad they are making these adverts and infomercials and I like the Pentax guys they feature.

Maybe if people hold light in their hand they'll spend less time holding something else in their hand. (Sorry...)
09-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Well, I believe the K-S1 is a great entry level camera for the Asian market. As for the rest of the world I believe its likely a fail. However, maybe the K500 and K50 were such poor sellers that Ricoh thought that they may as well be different than bring out a me-too type product.

However, for conservative/traditional camera buyers there is the K3 that is pretty much equal or better than equivalent APS-C camera's from all camera makers. Its traditional and professional and a top of the line camera. It's also kind of boring albeit as full featured as anybody could expect.

Put it this way. If the K3 was a top of the line Canon or Nikon camera I don't think many people would be complaining. I believe its that good a camera.

Ditto, the K50. This is such a well specced camera for its price (other than video). Again, if you put a Canon or Nikon label on the front they would say its great except for video. Think about it. Weather sealed, twin command dials, pentaprism viewfinder at 100%, option of AA or standard batteries. The first three points escalate the K50 the higher mid level in the Canikon world. They really do rip off their customers quite well.

Lenses are a different matter. They really need to up their game in this area.

Lenses...and video...and full frame.

---------- Post added 09-03-14 at 08:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
Maybe if people hold light in their hand they'll spend less time holding something else in their hand.

For me, it is both.

---------- Post added 09-03-14 at 08:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vjacesslav Quote

Is that Google translation or English for Japanese people who prefer English?
09-03-2014, 09:36 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Public lynching is an interesting phenomena
09-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #75

The "Light" explained:

Optical Technology / Feature Stories | About Ricoh | Ricoh Global

Creating the Light

The "Ricoh" name comes from the "Ri" of "Riken" and "Coh", written with the character for light.

"Riken" is the name of an institute of physical and chemical research, founded in Japan in 1917 to carry out research in fields such as physics, chemistry, engineering, biology, and medicine*1. Ricoh was founded in 1936 as "Riken Kankoshi Co., Ltd.", in order to sell the photosensitive paper developed by Riken.
Its name was later changed to "Riken Optical Co., Ltd.", and then, with further expansions in the range of products and services, the name was changed again in 1963, to the current name, "Ricoh Company, Ltd."

Ricoh's "optical technology", which began with photosensitive paper, have gone on to include lenses, mirrors, lasers, and other optical components, as well as copiers and multifunction printers, printers, fax machines. These optical technologies have become the foundation of Ricoh's technical strengths, applied to fields such as office solutions, printing, imaging, and devices, creating a wide range of products and services.

Last edited by Not a Number; 09-04-2014 at 11:40 AM.