Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K-S1 Japanese Infomercial

K-S1 / ??????? / ?? | RICOH IMAGING

Start at 33 Seconds
http://youtu.be/4P0pWC6nbV0?t=33s

08-29-2014, 04:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Oh man...i'm a huge Pentax fan, but i've been thinking about leaving. Actually, all it would take for me to leave would be someone interested in trading my kit for a Nikon kit, or perhaps for a fullframe camera with two lenses or so...or maybe m4/3. Almost anything. It's sad, but i don't think Pentax can get they stuff straight anymore. Not for me, at least. The K-S1, Q-S1 (i swear i didn't notice they both ended with the same thing), the DA 20-40...those are all REALLY not for me :/

Last edited by Ash; 09-07-2014 at 01:52 AM.
08-29-2014, 04:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
Oh man...i'm a huge Pentax fan, but i've been thinking about leaving. Actually, all it would take for me to leave would be someone interested in trading my kit for a Nikon kit, or perhaps for a fullframe camera with two lenses or so...or maybe m4/3. Almost anything. It's sad, but i don't think Pentax can get they sh*t straight anymore. Not for me, at least. The K-S1, Q-S1 (i swear i didn't notice they both ended with the same thing), the DA 20-40...those are all REALLY not for me :/
Because all Nikon stuff is for you?
Geez you have a hell of budget
08-29-2014, 04:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Western versus Asian thinking?

Well, I believe the K-S1 is a great entry level camera for the Asian market. As for the rest of the world I believe its likely a fail. However, maybe the K500 and K50 were such poor sellers that Ricoh thought that they may as well be different than bring out a me-too type product.

However, for conservative/traditional camera buyers there is the K3 that is pretty much equal or better than equivalent APS-C camera's from all camera makers. Its traditional and professional and a top of the line camera. It's also kind of boring albeit as full featured as anybody could expect.

Put it this way. If the K3 was a top of the line Canon or Nikon camera I don't think many people would be complaining. I believe its that good a camera.

Ditto, the K50. This is such a well specced camera for its price (other than video). Again, if you put a Canon or Nikon label on the front they would say its great except for video. Think about it. Weather sealed, twin command dials, pentaprism viewfinder at 100%, option of AA or standard batteries. The first three points escalate the K50 the higher mid level in the Canikon world. They really do rip off their customers quite well.

Lenses are a different matter. They really need to up their game in this area.

08-29-2014, 05:18 AM   #5

Oh man...i'm a huge Pentax fan, but i've been thinking about leaving. Actually, all it would take for me to leave would be someone interested in trading my kit for a Nikon kit, or perhaps for a fullframe camera with two lenses or so...or maybe m4/3. Almost anything. It's sad, but i don't think Pentax can get they sh*t straight anymore. Not for me, at least. The K-S1, Q-S1 (i swear i didn't notice they both ended with the same thing), the DA 20-40...those are all REALLY not for me :/
That's unfortunate, but no one is forcing you to stay with Pentax. If it is not for you anymore, move onto something else. It sounds like you don't really know what you want, just change for some reason.
08-29-2014, 05:36 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bye bye.
08-29-2014, 05:43 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Wow, all your Pentax gear stopped working when this commercial came out?

08-29-2014, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Until Nikon introduce in body stabilisation then they have little appeal for prime shooters! Get some limiteds, take some photos, and don't worry about Japanese infomercials!
08-29-2014, 07:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hey guys...my comment has nothing to do with the infomercial.
I've been losing interested in Pentax for quite some time.
The one thing that is forcing me to stay with the company is that it's almost impossible to sell my stuff here in Brazil. They don't give us support, they don't sell here, therefore the used market is also small.
About my budget : I'm 17 years old, and i own many guitars, so all of that combined makes my budget not too high.
I do own many lenses that i wouldn't if i had another brand of camera, because i found them for cheap on the used market, but yet, the recent Pentax news have been bothering me.
Here's why :
DA 20-40 announced. Short range, not too fast, but okay, great metal construction. But for ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS? I'd rather have a cheap plastic 17-50 2.8.
This is just an example of what has been making it impossible for me to stay with the Pentax.
Lenses like Canon's $300 10-18 and their $400 85mm 1.8 are much more appealing to me. And they all have built-in focusing motors! Why can't Pentax use their technology (in-body SR and in-body motor) to make cheap lenses?
08-29-2014, 07:27 AM   #10
Pentaxian

different quality?
08-29-2014, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Here's why :
DA 20-40 announced. Short range, not too fast, but okay, great metal construction. But for ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS? I'd rather have a cheap plastic 17-50 2.8.
This is just an example of what has been making it impossible for me to stay with the Pentax.
Lenses like Canon's $300 10-18 and their $400 85mm 1.8 are much more appealing to me. And they all have built-in focusing motors! Why can't Pentax use their technology (in-body SR and in-body motor) to make cheap lenses?
Well Canon and Nikon are ripping off every customers buying their crappy low end cams.
But that doesn't seem to bother you as much.
08-29-2014, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I see you're still interested in talking a lot about how you lost interest in Pentax.
If you're upset that not all of their products is for you, give up on photography - no brand is perfectly customized to your needs.

P.S. I would rather have high quality, a bit on the expensive side but not overly large lenses; and K-3 level cameras. But products like the K-S1 are needed, even if I won't buy them... probably... I think (that blue looks quite nice!)
08-29-2014, 08:02 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Buy a Canon.
08-29-2014, 09:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

i have right here a nice super program full frame camera, please PM me for my address so we can swap :-)
08-29-2014, 09:25 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
i have right here a nice super program full frame camera, please PM me for my address so we can swap :-)
Thanks but since 2 years, anything smaller than 4x5 really is to small to me