Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2014, 07:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sigma 150-600 5-6.3..... no K mount

Here is a rumor for a new sigma 150-600 to compete wight the tamron. Again we see no pentax mount listed. I hope pentax can find a way to get third parties to make lenses again for them soon, or this will be trouble...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-monster-lens-form-sigma-150-600mm-f5-6-3-...ed-sport-zoom/

EDIT: no sony mount is included either at launch, but expected within 6 months. I hope for the same for us.

09-05-2014, 07:41 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
By next year Pentax will release the Tamron with HD coatings as the HD DA 150-600. The release price will probably be $1500 but it will be there.
09-05-2014, 07:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
Here is a rumor for a new sigma 150-600 to compete wight the tamron. Again we see no pentax mount listed. I hope pentax can find a way to get third parties to make lenses again for them soon, or this will be trouble...

New monster lens from Sigma: 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM weather sealed Sport zoom! | sonyalpharumors

EDIT: no sony mount is included either at launch, but expected within 6 months. I hope for the same for us.
Sell more cameras, thrid-party mfr's will make products for them, that simple.

Especially a small company like Sigma, when they have a really popular product, like the 18-35 f/1.8, they can barely keep up for just Canikon.
09-05-2014, 08:18 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope pentax can find a way to get third parties to make lenses again for them soon, or this will be trouble...
There is only ONE way to get third parties to make K-mount lenses, and that is for there to be enough people buying K-mount lenses to make it profitable. For better or worse, Hoya's positioning Pentax as a "budget" brand means that Pentaxians are less likely to spend the big bucks. So not only are there 8+ Canons and 8+ Nikons and 1+ E-mount for every K-mount, the K-mount owners are less likely to pay MSRP for high-priced new glass.

09-05-2014, 08:23 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
There is only ONE way to get third parties to make K-mount lenses, and that is for there to be enough people buying K-mount lenses to make it profitable.
Or they can invest in Tamron like Sony did.
09-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Or they can invest in Tamron like Sony did.
Point taken, although Pentax (or Tamron) seem to prefer a licensing relationship. Is Sony also paying Sigma to release Sony lenses sooner than K-mount? (IIRC) even Samyang included Sony in an announcement, but forgot K-mount (even though they did make it). We just aren't buying enough new lenses to make it worth their while.

Last edited by THoog; 09-07-2014 at 05:23 AM.
09-05-2014, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

That's exactly right. We may all love Pentax but there simply aren't enough of us. And, to make matters worse, a very large percentage of us are cheapskates. I'm not saying our frugalness is a bad thing in and of itself. But there's no getting around the fact that Pentaxians have that reputation. And it doesn't help us when it comes to decisions by Ricoh and third-party manufacturers that involve new products for us.

09-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
But there's no getting around the fact that Pentaxians have that reputation.
And that reputation has been around for decades. I remember showing my then new K10D to a few retired photographer friends, a few of whom shot Pentax 645 and 6x7 in the day. They started recounting how Pentax shooters in the 60s and 70s were perceived to be "cheapskates" (they used the same word) compared with Nikon shooters.

M
09-05-2014, 09:13 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Excellent point

That's exactly right. We may all love Pentax but there simply aren't enough of us. And, to make matters worse, a very large percentage of us are cheapskates. I'm not saying our frugalness is a bad thing in and of itself. But there's no getting around the fact that Pentaxians have that reputation. And it doesn't help us when it comes to decisions by Ricoh and third-party manufacturers that involve new products for us.
Premium equipment demands a higher price....
09-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Is Sony also paying Sigma to release E-mount lenses sooner than K-mount?
I doubt it. This lens is for Canikon and Sigma only so far. I can't imagine Sigma expects to sell many of these to Foveon users.
09-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #11
Banned

Well let's see what the telezoom from Pentax is going to be.
09-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Licensing counts....

It is clear that licensing is a key Pentax hold on what the third parties do. Look at Macros (150-180-200) and the high end long (400F4, 600 F4 or 5.6, 800 F5.6), where there are no Pentax offerings also some of the more desirable shorties. Been like that for 25 years. Licensing has more or as much to do with it..... IMHO

---------- Post added 09-05-14 at 12:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well let's see what the telezoom from Pentax is going to be.
Great point that you and I and others played with over the past 6 months.... I think my weird 135-380 won't hunt, the South African member's intel with Asahiman's "nod" makes more sense, but 150-600 HD/ outsourced looks like an R&D winner too... I'm with you, somebody knows, but "ain't" talking...

Last edited by GlassJunkie; 09-05-2014 at 09:38 AM.
09-05-2014, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

On recent months (or even years), Sigma did not announce Kmount when introducing a lens. Why would they start now (unless this is just a good reason for a free moan / rant / whatever).
09-05-2014, 10:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
And that reputation has been around for decades. I remember showing my then new K10D to a few retired photographer friends, a few of whom shot Pentax 645 and 6x7 in the day. They started recounting how Pentax shooters in the 60s and 70s were perceived to be "cheapskates" (they used the same word) compared with Nikon shooters.

M
This is very true. The problem is that the camera/lens industry (like so many other industries) has changed. Everything is a commodity and companies don't have the patience or margins to deal with anything they can't sell a whole lot of. There are parallels in the auto industry.

Remember when most cars were available in both two-door and four-door form? No? Get me a younger crowd. . The four-doors always outsold the two-doors, on a 70-30% or even 80-20% ratio. And the automakers were fine with that. 20 or 30 percent of the market for Impalas or Chevelles was still a decent number.

Today, GM makes the Camaro and Corvette with two doors. Ford makes the Mustang. Everything else from those companies is a four-door model except for some pick-up trucks (and even two-door trucks are on their way out). Why? Competition is now global and margins are squeezed too hard for the industry to be bothered with anything that doesn't sell really big. So if 70-80 percent of auto buyers want four doors, we all get four doors.

A long time ago, third-party lensmakers were happy to do a run of their products in K-mount. Today, they're simply squeezed too hard (they're even smaller than most camera makers or camera divisions) to get involved with Pentax. The exception, of course, is when Pentax signs a contract for enough of a given lens in K mount to make it worth their while. These lenses are sold under the Pentax name and are priced considerably higher than the corresponding Tamron or Sigma. Because they have to be. Or we won't get that lens at all.
09-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

This is very true. The problem is that the camera/lens industry (like so many other industries) has changed. Everything is a commodity and companies don't have the patience or margins to deal with anything they can't sell a whole lot of. There are parallels in the auto industry.

Remember when most cars were available in both two-door and four-door form? No? Get me a younger crowd. . The four-doors always outsold the two-doors, on a 70-30% or even 80-20% ratio. And the automakers were fine with that. 20 or 30 percent of the market for Impalas or Chevelles was still a decent number.

Today, GM makes the Camaro and Corvette with two doors. Ford makes the Mustang. Everything else from those companies is a four-door model except for some pick-up trucks (and even two-door trucks are on their way out). Why? Competition is now global and margins are squeezed too hard for the industry to be bothered with anything that doesn't sell really big. So if 70-80 percent of auto buyers want four doors, we all get four doors.

A long time ago, third-party lensmakers were happy to do a run of their products in K-mount. Today, they're simply squeezed too hard (they're even smaller than most camera makers or camera divisions) to get involved with Pentax. The exception, of course, is when Pentax signs a contract for enough of a given lens in K mount to make it worth their while. These lenses are sold under the Pentax name and are priced considerably higher than the corresponding Tamron or Sigma. Because they have to be. Or we won't get that lens at all.

Back in the day (TM) there were more cars sold per design. The Chevy Impala sold over a million cars in 1965. Nowadays it likely sells 100k to 200k.

Today, instead of 5 to 10 iterations of one design under one name, we get 3 iterations of one design under three names.

FYI Sigma is much larger than Pentax. I have no idea about Tamron, Tokina, Zeiss, etc.