Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Somehow I think the new stuff will be announced in a few hours...
or a few years...

09-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well, it's Wednesday and it looks like the K-S1 is all the K-mount news Ricoh has to offer pre Photokina. No new lens. No full frame. Disappointing so far.
09-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #48
Veteran Member

I have a novel idea. Let's wait and see what Ricoh says before assuming nothing....

After all, k3 pricing and the lens roadmap indicate there will be something.
09-09-2014, 10:56 PM   #49

K-Mount with additional electronic aperture coupling communication pins will lead to more acceptance of Sigma and Tamron. They hate to implement mechanical parts. This change will also solve the problem of small amount of FF-lenses.

see also: http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/04/02/sigma-qa-part-i-ceo-kazuto-y...x-mount-lenses

09-09-2014, 11:58 PM   #50
Pentaxian

But would they like having to reverse engineer a new protocol better?
09-10-2014, 01:35 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think there's another prediction thread for Photokina before this already
09-10-2014, 02:00 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Berned Quote
So if I understand, there is not enough demand for Pentax mounts, but if they would produce them there wouldn't be enough to provide everybody. Is that right ? Silly !

09-10-2014, 05:45 AM   #53

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
So if I understand, there is not enough demand for Pentax mounts, but if they would produce them there wouldn't be enough to provide everybody. Is that right ? Silly !
No, you did not understand what he said.

What he said was that each specific mount requires changes to be made to the machines, and changing that requires time, and time is money. So they have to make a batch large enough to make it profitable without making it too expensive, and that means one of two things, long time between production runs or doing a large production run and having a stock of lenses centrally... Or as they have choosen many times, not to make them at all.

Each of these solutions offer new problems. Long time between production runs means that if a specific lens is sold out in a specific country etc they have to wait until the next production run to get more from sigma, this will lead to upset customers since the lens they want, they want now and not in a month/year/other timeperiod... On the other hand if sigma does a large run they will tie up alot of money storing lenses for what might be a long time, money that they cound otherwise have reinvested several times during the same time period. Not producing them at all is of course very sad news for everyone with pentax cameras.
09-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #54
Pentaxian

But unfortunalety, this is getting more and more frequent... mainly for new series fixed and tele-lenses (180 macro, 120-300/2.8, forthcoming 150-600mm...).
09-10-2014, 10:30 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Personally, I've been VERY happy with the performance of Pentax's APS-C cameras, so I don't care about full frame.

I think Pentax is uniquely positioned to do something MORE AMAZING than releasing a 35mm full-frame DSLR ... they should make a budget medium format camera!

Let the new 645Z continue to be the best, high-end camera in the Pentax lineup, but offer a new medium format camera that is HALF that price with less features.

A Pentax brand 35mm full frame camera will be a "meh" announcement to everyone who isn't already a Pentax shooter.

A medium format DSLR that costs $4000 brand NEW would be like an EARTHQUAKE on the photography world.
09-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
A medium format DSLR that costs $4000 brand NEW would be like an EARTHQUAKE on the photography world.
OK. But no one could afford the lenses.
09-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by discharged Quote
No, you did not understand what he said.

What he said was that each specific mount requires changes to be made to the machines, and changing that requires time, and time is money. So they have to make a batch large enough to make it profitable without making it too expensive, and that means one of two things, long time between production runs or doing a large production run and having a stock of lenses centrally... Or as they have choosen many times, not to make them at all.

Each of these solutions offer new problems. Long time between production runs means that if a specific lens is sold out in a specific country etc they have to wait until the next production run to get more from sigma, this will lead to upset customers since the lens they want, they want now and not in a month/year/other timeperiod... On the other hand if sigma does a large run they will tie up alot of money storing lenses for what might be a long time, money that they cound otherwise have reinvested several times during the same time period. Not producing them at all is of course very sad news for everyone with pentax cameras.
But it leads to the same : upset Pentax customers.
09-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Let the new 645Z continue to be the best, high-end camera in the Pentax lineup, but offer a new medium format camera that is HALF that price with less features.
I suspect the "features" aren't a major cost in manufacturing, but rather the sensor.
09-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #59
ogl
Banned

I don't think so. It's big and it's unreal to put K-mount lenses.
09-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
I suspect the "features" aren't a major cost in manufacturing, but rather the sensor.
I've been shooting digital long enough to remember when people said the same thing as to why APS-C DSLRs had to cost $4K.