Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #121
Pentaxian

Doubtful; they would want to showcase the products at Photokina, at least under glass.
Anyway, the new round of announcements should be soon. Depending on how much they would say, people will be disappointed, or just slightly disappointed (there's no way we'd be happy, right? )

09-14-2014, 02:54 PM   #122
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Five days AFTER Photokina???
Maybe he meant 16th.

But I somewhat agree with people wondering are two cheap, rebranded and repainted cameras real "announcements"?
Canon or Nikon did not bother with such trivial cameras that are passé. Photokina is show for true enthusiasts, not for crowd interested in rebranded plastic bought in Walmart.

But then, Canon and Nikon are real players, not wannabes. When they punch, they struck and they understand the gravity of Photokina. Perhaps Ricoh needs to learn a bit about its real audience and real news for the show like Photokina. Rebranded JK products and Q-S1 are not cameras to be announced for the Photokina. Photokina asks for real food, not crackers.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-14-2014 at 03:01 PM.
09-14-2014, 03:01 PM - 2 Likes   #123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Perhaps Ricoh needs to learn a bit about its real audience and real news for the show like Photokina.
I'll bet Ricoh knows precisely who is its real audience.

Would you be happier if the K-3 and 645Z were held for Photokina? Ricoh has had a hell of a good year.
09-14-2014, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #124
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yep, and it ain't us!

09-14-2014, 05:05 PM   #125
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Would you be happier if the K-3 and 645Z were held for Photokina? Ricoh has had a hell of a good year.
The irony is, K-3 and 645Z were exactly the products to announce at Photokina.

However Q, WG and G toys are an insult for a such show. Did Nikon announce their Coolpix with 1/2.3" sensor and made "news" out of it? Or will Leica bother everyone with their tiny sensored compacts? Canon, will they "steal" attention with a product more fit for American House Builders Association members?

Or perhaps Leica comes with a theme of celebrating 60 years of the M camera? And Canon announces a camera fit for their true enthusiasts — showing to them they really listen to their enthusiast audience?

Serious companies target a completely different audience for Photokina, which is not electronics show or Disneyland, but the most respected photography show on this planet. This is the show in which a serious company shows deep respect towards its ambassadors — people who are really enthusiastic about photography. Users who still keep this industry from sinking into the snapshoot oblivion.

So do I think Ricoh knows exactly who is their audience? I never underestimate their talent for no-show and mis-reading of their audience, and the pattern of behaviour fits into the historical pattern; each venue needs both a league of gentlemen, and a jester. Real trouble is, even if they wish to announce a few small goods for enthusiasts, their timing and still no news in that arena shows they are fooling around with its loyal audience.

For this kind of silence at Photokina they'd better have a bomb of a product, or simply pack up and avoid participating in such shows, and stop embarrassing the photography heirloom.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-14-2014 at 05:26 PM.
09-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #126
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
This is how things become true.
The most impressive plants often need lots of .. manure? .. to become the best!
09-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking forward to Pentax's announcement of the K1-SS0 FF camera...

09-15-2014, 12:24 AM   #128
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The irony is, K-3 and 645Z were exactly the products to announce at Photokina.

However Q, WG and G toys are an insult for a such show. Did Nikon announce their Coolpix with 1/2.3" sensor and made "news" out of it? Or will Leica bother everyone with their tiny sensored compacts? Canon, will they "steal" attention with a product more fit for American House Builders Association members?

Or perhaps Leica comes with a theme of celebrating 60 years of the M camera? And Canon announces a camera fit for their true enthusiasts — showing to them they really listen to their enthusiast audience?

Serious companies target a completely different audience for Photokina, which is not electronics show or Disneyland, but the most respected photography show on this planet. This is the show in which a serious company shows deep respect towards its ambassadors — people who are really enthusiastic about photography. Users who still keep this industry from sinking into the snapshoot oblivion.

So do I think Ricoh knows exactly who is their audience? I never underestimate their talent for no-show and mis-reading of their audience, and the pattern of behaviour fits into the historical pattern; each venue needs both a league of gentlemen, and a jester. Real trouble is, even if they wish to announce a few small goods for enthusiasts, their timing and still no news in that arena shows they are fooling around with its loyal audience.

For this kind of silence at Photokina they'd better have a bomb of a product, or simply pack up and avoid participating in such shows, and stop embarrassing the photography heirloom.
You make it sould as if they're doing it on purpose, or as if they don't care. But chances are, that they just can't. Or do you think they voluntarily made their stand at the toilets or at the wardrobe in the past Photokina's?
09-15-2014, 01:12 AM   #129
Pentaxian

If this forum's strategy is to postpone the K-3 for a year, and the 645Z for half a year just to announce them at Photokina, I would say: chances are that Ricoh knows better.
It's not like they're empty handed: they have the 645Z to show (despite being launched months ago, it's not like you can see it in every shop), the Q-S1 and WG-M1 and, of course, the K-S1. And that's not all.

Clavius, last Photokina Pentax Ricoh had a nice stand in their usual place, far away from wardrobes (which are outside the exposition space, you'd have to pass through the ticket entry barriers and walk a corridor before seeing the first stand) and next to the Nikon's stand. Even the Pentax Ricoh U.S. restroom image was that of a meeting room, they had a (small) stand elsewhere. And at CP+ they even had a cute bartender girl to keep visitors entertained.
Let's not blame Ricoh for imaginary thing, ok?
09-15-2014, 05:06 AM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Clavius, last Photokina Pentax Ricoh had a nice stand in their usual place, far away from wardrobes (which are outside the exposition space, you'd have to pass through the ticket entry barriers and walk a corridor before seeing the first stand) and next to the Nikon's stand. Even the Pentax Ricoh U.S. restroom image was that of a meeting room, they had a (small) stand elsewhere. And at CP+ they even had a cute bartender girl to keep visitors entertained.
Let's not blame Ricoh for imaginary thing, ok?
Does this look imaginary to you? And does it look like an image of a company that refuses to comply with customers wishes, or with one that just can't afford to comply?

09-15-2014, 05:36 AM   #131
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
You make it sould as if they're doing it on purpose, or as if they don't care. But chances are, that they just can't. Or do you think they voluntarily made their stand at the toilets or at the wardrobe in the past Photokina's?
Don't worry. Ricoh has a plan.(TM)

First is to drown us in rebranded cheap'n'plastic Chinese digicams, generously supplied by JK Imaging.

Then to hypnotise us with a new collection of their watches rolling in front of our eyes. Well, I hope you heard, Ricoh is now big into watch business.

Third is, making us Imagine (TM) the look of their in-the-future-to-come lenses by staring through the black letters and the white paper:

Last edited by Uluru; 09-15-2014 at 05:43 AM.
09-15-2014, 05:42 AM   #132
Veteran Member

Actually, I knew that. They've been making some important parts for watches for decades decades.

What I recently learned though, is that they also make the actual print heads for some very popular 3D printers. So there's definitely a growth oppertunity for them there.
09-15-2014, 05:46 AM   #133
Pentaxian

Well that's just fair since SEIKO now owns the Pentax name for eyeglasses!
09-15-2014, 05:47 AM   #134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Does this look imaginary to you? And does it look like an image of a company that refuses to comply with customers wishes, or with one that just can't afford to comply?
Your claim was definitely imaginary; Pentax, then Pentax Ricoh always had decent stands at Photokina - I've been there for the last editions, seen them with my own eyes.
And that image was not taken at Photokina but at CES (the logo's on that image); as I said, it was a meeting room and not the actual stand...

Talking about how Pentax was making their "stand at the toilets or at the wardrobe in the past Photokina's" is a big fat lie.

L.E. Adam just posted images with Ricoh Imaging's stand at Photokina:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photokina-2014/pentax-ricoh-booth-in-pi...kina-2014.html
Observe the contrast between this and the restroom image.

Last edited by Kunzite; 09-15-2014 at 06:38 AM.
09-15-2014, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Well that's just fair since SEIKO now owns the Pentax name for eyeglasses!
Hattori Tokei-ten was the first distributor of the Asahiflex cameras. That company is better known as Seiko today.