Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #61
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,247
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
How to create free buzz for your website... and/or to loose any credibility for the future...
They had some spare left to spend ?

09-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #62
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 292
And also new is the 80-160 WR SR for next year.
09-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #63
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,247
QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
And also new is the 80-160 WR SR for next year.


Chasseur d'Images tested the 645Z with 5 stars rating.
They said the most annoying things left to correct are:
  • Tiny AF area (right even though it is a very small con in the MF market),
  • lack of LS lenses which is being taken care of,
  • lack of tethering soft which is also taken care of.
Seems Ricoh is right on track here.
10-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #64
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,032
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
...and look at the price of it. Leaf shutters put some hefty constraints on how fast a lens can get. Copal, who have been the most common maker of leaf shutters only allow for f/2.2 lenses at the fastest. Seiko have been getting out of the shutter business from what I have heard. Pentax would have to outsource them from someone else, which can be really expensive or make their own - which in the short term can be majorly expensive but from a practical standpoint would be perhaps the best way to go.
Copal shutters are dead, sold out, not in production anymore... That is THE medium format problem. Companies have to create new leaf shutters. Larger f-stops faster speeds have not been accomplsihed int he last 20 years. Copal quality was really low, so there is a strong need jsut to replace them.

10-02-2014, 04:54 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 3,061
Why not in production any more : because of quality of the metal ? industrial processes ? new regulations ?

Here is the 645 A 135mm f/4 LS with 645NII (taken with K20D + dental macro 100mm f/4 and AF140C) :


Last edited by Zygonyx; 10-02-2014 at 05:19 AM.
10-02-2014, 06:26 AM   #66
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Norway
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 385
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Why not in production any more : because of quality of the metal ? industrial processes ? new regulations ?

Here is the 645 A 135mm f/4 LS with 645NII (taken with K20D + dental macro 100mm f/4 and AF140C) :
Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old lenses are using lead in both the electronics and in the lens elements.
10-02-2014, 06:35 AM   #67
Pentaxian
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,563
The shutters are made by a separate company (now NIDEC Copal) than the glass, and tended to be all mechanical. Modern Solder is lead-free, so there is no reason that would preclude making electronic Copal designs.

I suspect that the lack of new Copal shutters in MF lens applications has more to do with lack of profitability, since the company now seems to be focused largely on brushless motors and gearing, and the shutters they continue to make tend to be in other segments of the market (DSLR bodies, compacts, industrial).

Deckel, on the other hand, is deader than a doornail, so the Compur leaf shutter is gone the way of the dodo.

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old lenses are using lead in both the electronics and in the lens elements.


QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old lenses are using lead in both the electronics and in the lens elements.
10-02-2014, 07:41 AM   #68
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,247
So if copal are still made, why this comment?

10-02-2014, 07:45 AM   #69
Pentaxian
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,563
They stopped making mechanical leaf shutters for Medium Format at the end of last year. They are focusing on other types of shutters.

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
So if copal are still made, why this comment?
10-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #70
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,247
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
They stopped making mechanical leaf shutters for Medium Format at the end of last year. They are focusing on other types of shutters.
Oh, I see. This wasn't obvious at all from previous posts.
Clearly, they'll have to get a leaf shutter somewhere...
10-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #71
Pentaxian
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,563
Well, the Copal shutter is 50 year old tech, so I imagine it shouldn't be that difficult to clone. Probably out of patent by now, too....

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Oh, I see. This wasn't obvious at all from previous posts.
Clearly, they'll have to get a leaf shutter somewhere...
10-02-2014, 09:56 PM   #72
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,247
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Well, the Copal shutter is 50 year old tech, so I imagine it shouldn't be that difficult to clone. Probably out of patent by now, too....
Sure but taking a finished product and mounting it into your lens or manufacturing it yourself, even without patent prolems, and testing it before integrating it is something completely different.
10-03-2014, 05:39 AM   #73
Pentaxian
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,563
Well of course, but I imagine that high-end manufacturers such as Leica and Hasselblad would have little problem justifying passing on the added expense to their deep-pocketed buyers. It might be tougher for a company like Pentax, working with presumably tighter profit margins on the 645z and its lenses, to justify such an effort.

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Sure but taking a finished product and mounting it into your lens or manufacturing it yourself, even without patent prolems, and testing it before integrating it is something completely different.
10-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #74
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,247
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Well of course, but I imagine that high-end manufacturers such as Leica and Hasselblad would have little problem justifying passing on the added expense to their deep-pocketed buyers. It might be tougher for a company like Pentax, working with presumably tighter profit margins on the 645z and its lenses, to justify such an effort.
Indeed. We shall see.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
35mm, btw, camera, depth, field, flash, format, gap, leaf, lens, lenses, medium, medium format lenses, michael, otus, pentax, pentax leaf shutter, pentax news, pentax rumors, post, shutter, shutter 645 medium, studio
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax Medium Format Resources: Pentax 645: Third party lenses via adapter veraikon Pentax Medium Format 52 05-26-2017 12:46 PM
Pentax Medium Format Resources: 645 & 6x7 Cameras and Lenses, 645 & 6x7 Accessories Adam Pentax Medium Format 9 02-12-2017 03:38 AM
new 35mm lenses or switch to medium format? chris* Pentax Film SLR Discussion 19 09-29-2012 07:27 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:54 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top