Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2014, 01:01 PM   #166
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Geeks and other early adopters are cows to milk.
I'm most certainly a geek, but at that price I'd sooner get a note 4.

09-15-2014, 11:43 PM   #167
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks like this guy is recording his experiences of Photokina with a WG-M1. Could be of interest to anyone interested in the product or the event.

http://m.dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/special/20140916_666878.html
09-16-2014, 06:49 AM   #168
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I really doubt you would have an 1" on a $150 camera... That's more $400.
Not sure where you are trying to get with that comment, but in terms of video specs, Sony is already a better camera at a better price with same sensor size - if I need pictures I'll just use my camera.

Sony HDR-AS15 HD Action Camcorder with WiFi HDRAS15/B B&H Photo
Look for specs.
09-16-2014, 10:52 AM   #169
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It wasn't until this morning that I actually watched the YouTube video that Ricoh has uploaded to announce the WG-M1. I don't think GoPro has anything to worry about from this product. Reading down through the comments should be disturbing to Ricoh. The WG-M1 looks awesome but the video that comes out of it leaves a lot to be desired. One comment asked the question " did they just mount a flip phone in a camera housing?" That was one of the kinder ones.

If the camera is capable of better, then Ricoh should remove that "Chase" video form YouTube. If the camera isn't capable of better, then don't even start shipping until they can come up with something better.

09-16-2014, 12:12 PM   #170
Veteran Member

It's not going to put a dent in GoPro. None of the other products from Sony etc have as of yet. GoPro has high quality video and a freaking ton of attachments that aren't bank-breaking to use. It's a simple camera with basic controls that is easy to use and super tough. I prefer the GoPro's external housing so when you trash it you spend 50 dollars and get back at it. With this WG-M1 one smack of the lens and the camera's done.

GoPro is high enough in quality that broadcast TV uses them for many reality/documentary shows.
09-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #171
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Not sure where you are trying to get with that comment, but in terms of video specs, Sony is already a better camera at a better price with same sensor size - if I need pictures I'll just use my camera.

Sony HDR-AS15 HD Action Camcorder with WiFi HDRAS15/B B&H Photo
Look for specs.
I do not say the Sony is bad, or one is better suited to your needs or another. It is likely your Camcorder as more video features and that will be more conveniant.

On the opposite, this phone may be very expensive, but it doesn't have a typical 1/2.3" sensor but a 1" sensor. This is something like 7 time the sensor surface, meaning 3EV better performance to expect in low light situations, much more color deph,, much more dynamic range and some bokeh capabilities.

So the camcorder you show in example will suck for photos compared to it, and will also suck for low lights needs and offer less bokeh possibilities.It doesn't take phone call, allow you to surf, serve as GPS or as a game console.

In the end, this is not the product for everybody, but it does make sense.
09-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #172
Veteran Member

I do not say the Sony is bad, or one is better suited to your needs or another. It is likely your Camcorder as more video features and that will be more conveniant.

On the opposite, this phone may be very expensive, but it doesn't have a typical 1/2.3" sensor but a 1" sensor. This is something like 7 time the sensor surface, meaning 3EV better performance to expect in low light situations, much more color deph,, much more dynamic range and some bokeh capabilities.

So the camcorder you show in example will suck for photos compared to it, and will also suck for low lights needs and offer less bokeh possibilities.It doesn't take phone call, allow you to surf, serve as GPS or as a game console.

In the end, this is not the product for everybody, but it does make sense.
Correct me if I am wrong but the thread is about Ricoh WG-M1... last time I checked that is an action camera wanna be... not a phone... my reference was made towards the WG-M1 and NOT whatever phone you are referring to... I even mentioned they have same sensor size... something that obviously the phone you are mentioning doesn't.
So you are arguing with yourself...
09-16-2014, 12:42 PM   #173
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Correct me if I am wrong but the thread is about Ricoh WG-M1... last time I checked that is an action camera wanna be... not a phone... my reference was made towards the WG-M1 and NOT whatever phone you are referring to... I even mentioned they have same sensor size... something that obviously the phone you are mentioning doesn't.
So you are arguing with yourself...
You were in plain midle of discussion with GM1 annouced at photokina, so that was far from obvious, sorry.

09-16-2014, 03:45 PM   #174
Veteran Member

You were in plain midle of discussion with GM1 annouced at photokina, so that was far from obvious, sorry.
Sorry for being in the middle of an off-topic discussion...
09-21-2014, 04:36 PM   #175
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't know if this has been linked yet, but a very nice review.

Ricoh WG-M1 Action Cam First Impressions Review - Reviewed.com Camcorders
09-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #176
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
I don't know if this has been linked yet, but a very nice review.

Ricoh WG-M1 Action Cam First Impressions Review - Reviewed.com Camcorders
Thanks for sharing. Based on the last photo, it looks bigger than I expected and wanted.
09-21-2014, 11:36 PM   #177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, it might not be a threat for gopro in the video department, but I can see some bonus for it in stills. If it can deliver images of good quality at its 12mpix resolution and the wifi-remote thing is well implemented I can see some use in KAP (kite aerial photography), on drones or on poles for ground based aerial photos.
In gopro land you have to take the option for 449,00 to get this resolution and tethering.