Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
If true it would likely have accessories released with it, like a handlebar mount and suction mount. Looks cool. I don't think this segment of the camera market is going away any time soon. Why let GoPro have all the fun & profit!!
Mount Accessories are mentioned. Some were shown at CP+ for the WG's then.

09-09-2014, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #47
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Just go to Flickr and compare the number of people using the iPhone compared to any compact camera.

The top 5 cameras are 4 iPhones and the Soccer Mom Canon T3i.

As a company Pentax is 10th, Ricoh is 20th.
Well, both Pentax and Ricoh are most popular in Japan and most Japanese have never heard of Flikr. Also, is it any wonder that cameras that are constantly connected to the internet result in more pictures being uploaded to the internet? I think that the numbers of images uploaded to Flikr are less significant than you think when making comparisons across categories and regions.
09-09-2014, 07:55 PM - 3 Likes   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by afan137 Quote
I like the look, really cool.
I wonder if the lens can be rotated ? because it says "Angle of view can be selected from the wide, medium, narrow, underwater". It will be perfect companion for divers.
The "Lock" switch at the base of the lens suggest that the entire lens/sensor assembly can be rotated. This is a nice feature; the camera can be mounted flat (like on the top of a helmet) or sideways (like on the side of a helmet) while the lens/sensor continues to point UP.

I currently use the Pentax Q (along with POV cams from Contour, Drift, etc…) for my POV motorcycle stuff. The WG-M1 looks interesting, although the minimum focus distance may be an issue for my needs.

Apex Hunting
by john m flores, on Flickr

Riding through Algonquin Provincial Park
by john m flores, on Flickr

Now if Pentax was smart, they'd give me a couple of these cameras for my next story assignment. Every motorcyclist that knows my work would see it.

I'm not hopeful though-I requested a Ricoh Theta and they said I should buy one.
09-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Those are not Pentax-users, they are Pentaxforums.com users. Their Pentax stays in the bag
But... but...aren't all Pentax users Pentaxforums.com users too? Are there actually some more in the outside world?

09-09-2014, 11:22 PM - 2 Likes   #50

What outside world?
09-10-2014, 12:19 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Wow! Looks really cool! That lens looks seperate and stuck onto it though, and there's a "lock"-button... Is it an ILC? Neh, can't be...

Pentax making a bold move like that is very promising. I wonder though why they have no problem with entering a fully served market on this side, but are afraid to even test the waters on the other.
09-10-2014, 12:39 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Original Poster
After some googling, I'd say this camera is likely outsourced to JK Imaging (as ogl suggested). Which is good, because Ricoh is not diverting resources from the teams working non-stop on that FF

P.S. Apologies for opening this thread, instead of posting on the other one.
09-10-2014, 12:48 AM   #53

Not the 'leak' I was hoping for, but one that I might actually buy. Decent resolution at 120fps - will wait for the reviews though first....

09-10-2014, 01:32 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Now if Pentax was smart, they'd give me a couple of these cameras for my next story assignment. Every motorcyclist that knows my work would see it.

I'm not hopeful though-I requested a Ricoh Theta and they said I should buy one.
that's what I hope Pentax would establish - make a research on people who can do stuff for the specialty purposes (that Pentax cameras can do) they wish to present, and have them sample out the newest and latest. You don't have to own it afterwards - just make people thirst for it. But I dunno, Ricoh can be a hit with products and suddenly miss on the marketing, or vice-versa...
09-10-2014, 01:53 AM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
that's what I hope Pentax would establish - make a research on people who can do stuff for the specialty purposes (that Pentax cameras can do) they wish to present, and have them sample out the newest and latest. You don't have to own it afterwards - just make people thirst for it. But I dunno, Ricoh can be a hit with products and suddenly miss on the marketing, or vice-versa...
That would be marketing for the 21st century but Pentax/Ricoh seem to be staffed solely by engineers who haven't left the lab since some time in the 20th. The problem is, the customers for this kind of camera lives firmly in 21st century. Ricoh simply don't have a clue how to reach them. As an example: Pentax already have all the mounting gear - but who would know that except die hard fans of the brand? My next camera will most likely be one of these adventure things, but it will be travel- and adventure magazines in print and online that will inspire me to buy.

I honestly thought Ricoh would shake things up on that front - I mean, they should look around, who are we competing against? How do we stand apart from them? But no, they stick firmly to the good old model, even though it haven't helped them for the last decade or so. Marginalized by Canikon on one side, GoPro, Garmin etc on the other.
09-10-2014, 02:12 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Who knows I sended yesterday a plan to Ricoh to make a commercial. For the K-S1. I'll will tell you if I have to buy the camera myself to promote it.
09-10-2014, 02:57 AM   #57
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Its viability will al depend on the price.

GoPro is more and more looking saturated and over-priced.
09-10-2014, 03:54 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
After some googling, I'd say this camera is likely outsourced to JK Imaging (as ogl suggested).

(...)
I respectfully disagree . In January 2013 Kodak sold to JK Imaging the right to manufacture (or let manufacture) and sell under the Kodak brand name:
  • digital cameras
  • video cameras
  • home theater equipment
  • portable projectors
  • rifle scopes and
  • laser rangefinders
But JK Imaging are a pure marketing and distribution structure. All Kodak-branded equipment sold by JK Imaging are procured from Asia Optical, a Chinese company which is responsible for R&D and production. Asia Optical have two R&D centres, one in Taiwan and the other one in Hangzhou. Manufacturing is done in Shenzhen.

Ricoh WG-M1 is therefore likely outsourced to Asia Optical directly rather than JK Imaging.

---------- Post added 09-10-2014 at 12:59 PM ----------

Please note also that Pentax XG-1 is the clone of Kodak AZ522 Astro Zoom, also designed and manufactured by Asia Optical.
09-10-2014, 04:11 AM   #59
Site Supporter

The "Lock" switch at the base of the lens suggest that the entire lens/sensor assembly can be rotated. This is a nice feature; the camera can be mounted flat (like on the top of a helmet) or sideways (like on the side of a helmet) while the lens/sensor continues to point UP.

I currently use the Pentax Q (along with POV cams from Contour, Drift, etc…) for my POV motorcycle stuff. The WG-M1 looks interesting, although the minimum focus distance may be an issue for my needs.

Nice shots/films
I'm afraid Pentax may think you spend big money enough in bikes, to be able to afford Ricoh's new gadgets
09-10-2014, 06:27 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I respectfully disagree .
[...]
Ricoh WG-M1 is therefore likely outsourced to Asia Optical directly rather than JK Imaging
I stand corrected; thank you for the information.
And I actually wanted to write "JK Imaging or whoever is making JK Imaging cameras", but decided to be lazy