Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
09-11-2014, 05:13 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
How many mounts, different platforms and products GoPro has in their catalogue?
It is ridiculous to expect Ricoh Imaging will deliver a GoPro killer, because "only that would matter". That is not the goal. Ricoh does not care about this particular market that much. I understand the purpose behind the WG-M1 — to infiltrate a certain vertical market with their mere presence.

That is marketing with cheap products, rather than spending marketing money on TV commercials. Got it? The ticket to it is cheap for them — by using an OEM product dressed up in new clothes.

So this is nothing but a nicely put marketing strategy. However, it disheartens only because it is Photokina next week, and this is "product news" before it. When in fact this is not a product worth seriously debating about at all, just a marketing gimmick. Yet, the real products are nowhere ... not even a lens.
I agree with you for the most part…up until that last paragraph. You seem to be disappointed that the new products scheduled for announcement at Photokina haven't been announced before Photokina.

Or are you presuming that since it hasn't been leaked yet then it it isn't happening?

09-11-2014, 05:23 AM   #92
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I agree with you for the most part…up until that last paragraph. You seem to be disappointed that the new products scheduled for announcement at Photokina haven't been announced before Photokina.
Or are you presuming that since it hasn't been leaked yet then it it isn't happening?
I would love to see a rumour about at least one real Ricoh / Pentax product (not a rebadge) to stir a little excitement about the show. If in 5 days before the show there is nothing remotely on a radar — not even an original compact camera (OEM doesn't count), then I have low expectations for the show itself. I don't expect miracles and huge announcements either. Asahiman "enthusiastically" expects three lenses. I have no idea how he musters such a big enthusiasm about something that other companies do during the rest of the year, when it's quiet.

On the other hand, Apple announced the most popular new camera of the 2014/2015 a week before the Photokina because they don't care about that show at all, and will still be number one camera brand in the world. Sounds strange, but then, many things are.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-11-2014 at 05:31 AM.
09-11-2014, 05:25 AM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It is ridiculous to expect Ricoh Imaging will deliver a GoPro killer
GoPro is over-priced and the future of premium video cams looks very, very iffy, even with 4K.

So to beat GoPro you do it on price. Even a minor bit less expensive than a GoPro would have a substantial effect.

But I am astounded the Ricoh WG-M1 does not have GPS. That is a huge oversight especially given the location-driven aspects of its use and in the current marketing.

Its video rates are not diverse enough. That's going to deter a lot of sniffers.

The name sucks. GoPro stormed the market in large part because of its name. The Japanese companies are still attached to their corporate brand followed by obscure naming conventions.
09-11-2014, 05:56 AM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The name sucks. GoPro stormed the market in large part because of its name. The Japanese companies are still attached to their corporate brand followed by obscure naming conventions.
Well they do have Theta. I thought that you of all people would like that.

---------- Post added 09-11-14 at 08:02 AM ----------

I would love to see a rumour about at least one real Ricoh / Pentax product (not a rebadge) to stir a little excitement about the show. If in 5 days before the show there is nothing remotely on a radar — not even an original compact camera (OEM doesn't count), then I have low expectations for the show itself. I don't expect miracles and huge announcements either. Asahiman "enthusiastically" expects three lenses. I have no idea how he musters such a big enthusiasm about something that other companies do during the rest of the year, when it's quiet.

On the other hand, Apple announced the most popular new camera of the 2014/2015 a week before the Photokina because they don't care about that show at all, and will still be number one camera brand in the world. Sounds strange, but then, many things are.
Apple learned several years ago that it was easier to make a big media splash with their own event instead of competing for attention during a trade show. Ricoh doesn't have the media clout of Apple though, so it makes sense to announce big products at a trade event. The lack of rumors may be a result of tight control from Ricoh or lack of interest from the rumor mongers or the lack of new product. We'll find out soon enough, but I'd hazard a guess that announcing the Q-S1, K-S1 and WG-M1 prior to Photokina means that they've got something else planned for the show, something bigger than the aforementioned products and something that Ricoh wants to dedicate time at the show for. After all, the media folk have crazy busy schedules and Ricoh is thinking of what the best use of their time is.

09-11-2014, 07:09 AM   #95

QuoteOriginally posted by afan137 Quote
I like the look, really cool.
I wonder if the lens can be rotated ? because it says "Angle of view can be selected from the wide, medium, narrow, underwater". It will be perfect companion for divers.
With only 10 meters of water resistance it will be fairly useless for divers.
09-11-2014, 07:14 AM   #96
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
serious diver photographers get a underwater housing for a good camera. For snorkelling and tourist diving it will be fine.
09-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I may have missed it but is there a remote for this?

09-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ak_kiwi Quote
I may have missed it but is there a remote for this?
I think your phone is the remote.
09-11-2014, 10:26 AM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was thinking something with a similar IP rating?
09-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #100
Veteran Member

I'm excited for this camera! Can't wait to make it part of my video rig
09-11-2014, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #101

Sorry i think its a waste of ressources.

Yes the goPro is expensive. Yes it has its own issues, Yes it has its shitty user interface (i mean like really shitty)

But The resolutions and configurations ?

I would like to see 1080p 120FPS, or even 4k in 30 or (salivating: 60 fps)
10m watertight ? Sorry i will not wear something like that for snorkeling, nope not once.
The only thing i might hope is better is the batterypower, because this can sometimes be a little bit of a bummer when it comes to the goPro

i like the design, but the specs are rather mediocre

I was thinking of buying my own Hero3 Black, the i saw this annoucent and was like"(wohoo lets have a look" and then the almost typical Pentax-style disappointment comes :/

Sorry if you want to compete in this segment you just have to deliver.

There is a reason while there are so many goPros and only so little other manufactures. (and its not only because of the perfect viral marketing)
09-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #102
Pentaxian

OK, that's said, and sounds correct...
09-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #103
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
Sorry i think its a waste of ressources.
This is merely a license of PixPro Kodak cameras. There were no resources invested to waste.

So they should ahve invested a lot of resources to make a better GoPro for a thin slice of that market? But don't waste resources.

Pick either side but you can't have both.
09-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #104
Veteran Member

There is a reason while there are so many goPros and only so little other manufactures. (and its not only because of the perfect viral marketing)
No, it is the marketing. GoPro has been brilliant about their marketing, absolutely case-study-worthy brilliant. I've used POVs with simpler interfaces, others that had better form factors, others that had built-in screens and interchangeable lenses, other's that were waterproof without needing to add a case, and others (until the most recent models, at least) stood toe to toe with GoPro in image quality. But none of them had the marketing muscle or the brand awareness.

GoPro has been so good at marketing that their their brand is the category, like Kleenex or Xerox.
09-11-2014, 02:48 PM   #105

I am just saying that IF you want to go down this road, you have to do it full throttle ESPECIALLY against goPro who actually invented this field!!

When goPro is rated about 8Billion $ then this tiny slice of market cannot be THAT tiny!

But how i going to buy that thing.

If you have this one and the goPro in your hands and you dont know. The salesperson will just say

1. lighter
2. more watertight(with housing)
3.FAR better video
4.more additional equiptment

I think they should have dont more when it came to video. Sorry just my opinion.