Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #151
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Mind you, the argument was that smartphones are the new Instamatic/disposable cameras, and cannot replace "real cameras" in versatility.
READ.

The argument was they are as common and convenient as the Instamatic. They do the job the great mass of people want done. That was all.

I would not be surprised in a few years to know the Pixma/WG-M1 and clones fill the same niche in action movie use, with GoPro moving upscale.

09-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #152
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Perhaps you should READ?
As I stated several times I agree they're "as common and as convenient as the Instamatic" and that they're fine for many, but I disagree that they "are the 135mm of the digital" - since obviously the small format wasn't limited to Instamatic and actually had AF, viewfinders (those were also on the Instamatic) and metering. It's all in the last pages.
But it's pointless and off topic. Whatever, I'm done.
09-14-2014, 03:52 PM   #153

The goPro is expensive, but somehome i see a lot ore of them in student/pupil teenager hands then DSLRs (which got a huge boost in recent years)

So if you want to buy a action cam , you at first look at a goPro THEN you look at the others ( which like the WG-M1) are not so good (but maybe cheaper) and... in the end you will settle for the more expensive, but (bettter) goPro.

As long a product is the "go-to" product because of its name or abundance, every other product has to compete with that and if you want to compete with pricing it has to be identical when it comes to features to have a chance.

Why do you think a car salesman adds all the "funny" extra to your car before you start crossing them of ? Because its harder to get rid of it once you have "it".

Do i need a massage-seat in my car ? No ! but hell its ust 300$more, so leave it in.

The same goes with the goPro

Do i for sure need FullHd in 60FPS ? well dont know, but its only X $ more, so why dont go for it.

Sorry for derailing your funny PoS/IPhone/ audioturntable thread....
09-15-2014, 12:54 AM   #154
Pentaxian

My brother got a GoPro last year and I went to a shop to buy one of those accessories as a present. In the shop was a stand showcasing their products and a monitor running movies. I almost bought one of the damn things for myself right there, because that movie fueled both my wanderlust and desire to make images. Pentax never manages to excite me that way (Leica and Fuji does in other ways). I think they have to learn to speak to our emotions - and spend the money doing it. The closest they come is a photo of a K5 with some raindrops which hardly ignite my imagination. With the current strategy they have to have the best spec and measured performance on every product and that is an impossible task.

I am sure all the motorcyclists I see using GoPro didn't buy after spending days on photography forums comparing specs.

09-15-2014, 04:55 AM   #155
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
My brother got a GoPro last year and I went to a shop to buy one of those accessories as a present. In the shop was a stand showcasing their products and a monitor running movies. I almost bought one of the damn things for myself right there, because that movie fueled both my wanderlust and desire to make images. Pentax never manages to excite me that way (Leica and Fuji does in other ways). I think they have to learn to speak to our emotions - and spend the money doing it. The closest they come is a photo of a K5 with some raindrops which hardly ignite my imagination. With the current strategy they have to have the best spec and measured performance on every product and that is an impossible task.

I am sure all the motorcyclists I see using GoPro didn't buy after spending days on photography forums comparing specs.
That's just not what Pentax-ricoh is. They suck at it. Look at the K-s1. They should just focus on making the best bang for buck camera's.
09-15-2014, 10:03 AM   #156
Pentaxian

Kunzite, this one is for you: Panasonic Lumix DMC-CM1, a smartphone with a 1" sensor and a 28mm f/2.8 lens.

LUMIX CM1 Smart Camera - Kamera oder Smartphone? - Systemkamera Blog
Panasonic Lumix CM1 : le photophone à capteur 1 pouce et sous Android | Pixelistes

By the way, you can keep the car too, I prefer my Jaguar .
09-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #157
Veteran Member

That CM1 is actually very attractive. I have my smartphone on my always but not a camera. ( I can't stand smartphone camera's lack of control and poor quality)

It would probably get shaken apart....but that on a RAM mount on a bike would cover navigation and photo's.

09-15-2014, 11:15 AM   #158
Veteran Member

I would buy one of these for $150 without any issues... but not for what it will sell now.

I got my Sony Action cam for $150 with all the attachments and options it comes with - except the screen attachment. But even that I can buy for another $100.
So with $250 you already have a camera with better specs and performance than this...
09-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #159
Pentaxian

Is it a phone that can take pictures or a camera you can call with?
09-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I would buy one of these for $150 without any issues... but not for what it will sell now.

I got my Sony Action cam for $150 with all the attachments and options it comes with - except the screen attachment. But even that I can buy for another $100.
So with $250 you already have a camera with better specs and performance than this...
I really doubt you would have an 1" on a $150 camera... That's more $400.
09-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #161
Pentaxian

Price in France and Germany will be €899, i.e. $969.
09-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #162
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Price in France and Germany will be €899, i.e. $969.
That's just obnoxious for any smart phone. Even the flagship Samsung and HTC phones don't cost that much out of contract.

...by a few hundred dollars no less.
09-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #163
Pentaxian

Yes, that price is really gogo's theft....
Moreover for a simple 28mm fixed lens.
09-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #164
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Kunzite, this one is for you: Panasonic Lumix DMC-CM1, a smartphone with a 1" sensor and a 28mm f/2.8 lens.

LUMIX CM1 Smart Camera - Kamera oder Smartphone? - Systemkamera Blog
Panasonic Lumix CM1 : le photophone à capteur 1 pouce et sous Android | Pixelistes
Not on that price. (899 euro)
09-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #165
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
That's just obnoxious for any smart phone. Even the flagship Samsung and HTC phones don't cost that much out of contract.

...by a few hundred dollars no less.
Geeks and other early adopters are cows that one may and shall milk.