"High magnification super-telephoto zoom lens"
Hmmmm...

....double duty as a long macro?

09-16-2014, 06:13 AM   #212
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Hmmmm...

....double duty as a long macro?
Perhaps that circular button is a "macro mode" button.

---------- Post added 16-09-14 at 10:51 PM ----------

These lenses are probably empty shells (apart from perhaps the W/A zoom) and the final lenses may never see the light of day. And if they are indeed FF lenses (the 70-200 probably is) I doubt they'd release them until the camera was also ready. Surely they would also release a 24-70 FF and at least a W/A prime? Perhaps they plan to update the FA limiteds for this purpose.

Last edited by bossa; 09-16-2014 at 06:22 AM.
09-16-2014, 06:22 AM   #213
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Perhaps that circular button is a "macro mode" button.
I'd say "high magnification" is "long tele zoom" lost in translation...
09-16-2014, 06:29 AM   #214
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by angus Quote
Will try to find out more on Friday, but I guess they won't let the cat out of the bag as they haven't done so already. Just hope that they'll feature the DC-drive rather than the revised SDM. I'm not so bothered about in lens OS, quite happy with the in-body solution with my 250-600 and I've yet to see a test which really proves one or the other to be better. A portable long zoom with high quality would be really nice...
Just for clarity - SDM isn't literally one motor that Pentax uses in all SDM lenses. SDM just refers to ultrasonic driven motors, similar to Canon USM, Nikon SWM, and Sigma HSM. DC is a different of motor (I believe a step motor?).

SDM isn't inherently bad, since other manufacturers have working ultrasonic motors that don't fail like the one in the 16-50. In addition, the Pentax 18-270 uses a SDM motor, but the Tamron equivalent is Tamron's hypersonic motor. This leads me to believe that Pentax, instead of changing the AF motor in the 18-270, merely rebadged the motor to SDM as it is the same type of motor.

Thus, I wouldn't necessarily stigmatize SDM in a newly designed lens. As long as it literally isn't the same motor from the 16-50 and 50-135.

09-16-2014, 06:36 AM   #215
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Just for clarity - SDM isn't literally one motor that Pentax uses in all SDM lenses. SDM just refers to ultrasonic driven motors, similar to Canon USM, Nikon SWM, and Sigma HSM. DC is a different of motor (I believe a step motor?).

SDM isn't inherently bad, since other manufacturers have working ultrasonic motors that don't fail like the one in the 16-50. In addition, the Pentax 18-270 uses a SDM motor, but the Tamron equivalent is Tamron's hypersonic motor. This leads me to believe that Pentax, instead of changing the AF motor in the 18-270, merely rebadged the motor to SDM as it is the same type of motor.

Thus, I wouldn't necessarily stigmatize SDM in a newly designed lens. As long as it literally isn't the same motor from the 16-50 and 50-135.
Yep Asahiman has already stated it will be a newly developed (or bought) sdm motor.
09-16-2014, 06:44 AM   #216
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
True, but from a marketing perspective, it may be worth it to call it something different than SDM. A lot of people associate the SDM acronym with bad reliability.
09-16-2014, 06:45 AM   #217
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
All three 16-45 suffered wobbly barrels after some time.
Mine too. In landscape direction it usually does fine, but in portrait direction I have to give it a little support with my finger to avoid unsharpness because of decentering

I haven't used it for a while now, I usually keep the DA15 - DA35Ltd - DA70 combo in my bag. Maybe I should give it to my son, after all it can - despite the slight decentering problems @16mm - give much more pleasing results than the 18-55 he is using.

09-16-2014, 06:50 AM   #218
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
True, but from a marketing perspective, it may be worth it to call it something different than SDM. A lot of people associate the SDM acronym with bad reliability.
Just call it SDM II
09-16-2014, 06:52 AM   #219
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Just call it SDM II
Or just avoid the negative connotations of SDM altogether and call it DC...
09-16-2014, 07:03 AM   #220
Veteran Member

The 2mm difference field of view difference is huge. 16mm in crop is the same as 24mm in FF...I consider the 24mm the perfect landscape lens, not too wide not too narrow. Its very cinematic because many wide angles in films were shot at 24mm.
09-16-2014, 07:11 AM   #221
Forum Member

My main concern with the SDM is that my 200 DA* is rather slow even after it has been revamped after a recent breakdown. Even if reliability might be back speed is definitely not there..

On another issue - going by a comparison of the lens front and the lens cap at the end I would guess the lens diameter on the smaller of the 2 newcomers to be 77mm and the other considerably bigger. That would definitely put it at 2.8 and the other? Any guesses?
09-16-2014, 07:17 AM   #222
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angus Quote
My main concern with the SDM is that my 200 DA* is rather slow even after it has been revamped after a recent breakdown. Even if reliability might be back speed is definitely not there..

On another issue - going by a comparison of the lens front and the lens cap at the end I would guess the lens diameter on the smaller of the 2 newcomers to be 77mm and the other considerably bigger. That would definitely put it at 2.8 and the other? Any guesses?
I bet this will be a faster focusing lens, more optimized for auto focus. The focus ring on this lens is pretty small, meaning manual focus is an after thought. If they have a short focus throw on it, then odds are it will focus faster, even with the same motor. Lens elements may be lighter as well, so that might help out some, as well.
09-16-2014, 07:27 AM   #223
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I bet this will be a faster focusing lens, more optimized for auto focus. The focus ring on this lens is pretty small, meaning manual focus is an after thought. If they have a short focus throw on it, then odds are it will focus faster, even with the same motor. Lens elements may be lighter as well, so that might help out some, as well.
Now that you mention it, it's interesting that the focus ring is in the back and the zoom is in the front. That would imply the focusing element is towards the back of the lens (unless I am mistaken), and it may be a smaller/lighter element.

This appears true for the long telezoom lens. Given the similar finish, I would also hazard a guess that the long telezoom is also WR.
09-16-2014, 07:29 AM   #224
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now that you mention it, it's interesting that the focus ring is in the back and the zoom is in the front. That would imply the focusing element is towards the back of the lens (unless I am mistaken), and it may be a smaller/lighter element.

This appears true for the long telezoom lens. Given the similar finish, I would also hazard a guess that the long telezoom is also WR.
It is also how Sigma designs its lenses. Maybe the long tele zoom is just a rebadged Sigma. Or the people who designed it came from Sigma. Maybe that is why Sigma isn't releasing many Pentax lenses. The K-mount people went to work for Ricoh...
09-16-2014, 07:35 AM   #225
Pentaxian

Hopefully the old SDM engines will be replaced for more reliable and faster ones when the DA* lenses are upgrade to the HD coating. Boriscleto. DC is a different technology from SDM. It's a direct current motor. SDM is a piezo electric ultrasonic driven motor. So calling an SDM motor DC, would be wrong.