Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 123 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #406
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Whatever price the lens comes out it, if it sells it's been priced correctly. If it doesn't, the price will come down. That's how the market works.

10-18-2014, 02:31 PM   #407
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Whatever price the lens comes out it, if it sells it's been priced correctly. If it doesn't, the price will come down. That's how the market works.
^^this. Ricoh does seem to have a habit of pricing things at the top of the market and then watching to see how things go. Prices will eventually settle to a point that gives them the maximum volume/maximum return.

Makes it hard to be an early adopter, but that is what they have been doing. If they are in no hurry it makes sense to maximize the return on an item at first, then gradually lower the cost as volume declines. I think the occasional sales they run are also a means to obtain pricing information. If a certain number of lenses sell at this price and a certain number sell at another (lower) price those numbers can be put into an equation to determine the most beneficial price point.
10-18-2014, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #408
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
^^this. Ricoh does seem to have a habit of pricing things at the top of the market and then watching to see how things go. Prices will eventually settle to a point that gives them the maximum volume/maximum return.

Makes it hard to be an early adopter, but that is what they have been doing. If they are in no hurry it makes sense to maximize the return on an item at first, then gradually lower the cost as volume declines. I think the occasional sales they run are also a means to obtain pricing information. If a certain number of lenses sell at this price and a certain number sell at another (lower) price those numbers can be put into an equation to determine the most beneficial price point.
I've written about this before so please forgive me if I sound redundant. The problem with pricing a product too high is a reputation gets tagged to it at the start. Reviews are done shortly after a product is released and you don't want all of those reviews out there to contain the phrase "poor value". That never goes away regardless of where the price might migrate many months (or years) later.

Secondly, a lost sale over poor pricing is often a sale that's lost forever. Lastly, a delayed sale is ultimately of lower value than an early sale because you recoup your development costs later. I guess this is all my way of saying there's value in pricing your product correctly from the start.
10-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #409
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I've written about this before so please forgive me if I sound redundant. The problem with pricing a product too high is a reputation gets tagged to it at the start. Reviews are done shortly after a product is released and you don't want all of those reviews out there to contain the phrase "poor value". That never goes away regardless of where the price might migrate many months (or years) later.

Secondly, a lost sale over poor pricing is often a sale that's lost forever. Lastly, a delayed sale is ultimately of lower value than an early sale because you recoup your development costs later. I guess this is all my way of saying there's value in pricing your product correctly from the start.
You make a good point.

10-18-2014, 06:12 PM   #410
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I've written about this before so please forgive me if I sound redundant. The problem with pricing a product too high is a reputation gets tagged to it at the start. Reviews are done shortly after a product is released and you don't want all of those reviews out there to contain the phrase "poor value". That never goes away regardless of where the price might migrate many months (or years) later. Secondly, a lost sale over poor pricing is often a sale that's lost forever. Lastly, a delayed sale is ultimately of lower value than an early sale because you recoup your development costs later. I guess this is all my way of saying there's value in pricing your product correctly from the start.
Good points and I don't disagree. I was just pointing out what Ricoh appears to be doing. Possibly their inexperience in the DSLR market is driving this. If you are thinking very long term, then current pricing strategy could just be "market research". Companies often do things like this, though maybe not always on this scale, to determine what the 'correct' pricing is.

Irregardless of 'poor value' ratings the goal is to maximize return and you can only do that when you have the information in hand to make the proper pricing decisions.
10-29-2014, 06:26 AM - 3 Likes   #411
JPT
Pentaxian

Specs revealed

The specs of the 16-85 have been leaked. The interesting part is the comment that the lens is designed to have good performance with high resolution sensors. I guess it will be released very soon now if this kind of information is out.

Japanese
?HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR??????????? - ????info

Translated
Google Translate
10-29-2014, 06:50 AM   #412
Pentaxian

Thanks JPT

10-29-2014, 07:30 AM   #413
Veteran Member

That sounds promising!
10-29-2014, 07:40 AM   #414
Pentaxian

Wow, that looks really promising! This lens is not a lot larger or heavier than the 16-45 and retains the same excellent maximum magnification of 0.26x. If it delivers well optically, I will definitely put it on my wish list.
10-29-2014, 07:54 AM   #415
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

72mm filter? This is still on my list depending on image quality but a new filter size? I know we complain about everything but I would have rather went to 77mm and kept the filter standard. I already have 67mm and 77mm...........
10-29-2014, 07:55 AM   #416
Veteran Member

AF is DC motor, which is nice. Resemblance to the 18-135 confirmed.
Filter diameter is 72mm. Not too big.
10-29-2014, 10:04 AM   #417
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
AF is DC motor, which is nice. Resemblance to the 18-135 confirmed.
Filter diameter is 72mm. Not too big.
No distance scale
The only real con for me.
10-29-2014, 01:15 PM   #418
Veteran Member

bit heavier than I thought it might be... and not too far off DA* 16-50 weight

QuoteQuote:
Weight 488g (517g in inclusive food)
Google translate rackons it comes with food too
10-29-2014, 01:18 PM   #419
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
bit heavier than I thought it might be... and not too far off DA* 16-50 weight

Google translate rackons it comes with food too
I like my food petal shaped over circular. Although in some cases, circular foods are great.

-Jing
10-29-2014, 03:31 PM   #420
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

$750... actually reasonable, given this is the introductory price.