Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #721
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
We're seeing this with most of the newly launched products, surely there must be more than "some" truth?
Those Canon and Nikon lenses had gone through the same process; yet we're asking Pentax to jump directly to "10-years old" street prices?
That being said, the DA 20-40 was on sale about 3 months after it was released (same with the HD 55-300), and a year later it's almost $300 off. If I were a betting man, I'd say that in 6 months Pentax will have the 16-85 in the $600 range.

12-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #722
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
We're seeing this with most of the newly launched products, surely there must be more than "some" truth? I agree that "new technology" is a much better excuse than just product age.
Those Canon and Nikon lenses had gone through the same process; yet we're asking Pentax to jump directly to "10-years old" street prices?
I agree as much as I want Pentax to release a 100-400L equivalent at $1500, I know the new Pentax long zoom lens if its DA* quality will be closer to 2k than 1k. The new 100-400L Mk. 2 shows how much inflation, modern optics, and supplier costs have raised the cost of lenses across the board.
12-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #723
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Newly released products are more expensive than those who've been on the market for some time, that's how the whole economy works, across almost all markets.
Yes, for multiple reasons.
1. The consumers most eager to buy a lens will pay an extra premium to get it quick. This includes all the preorders.
2. As a producer you want to recoup the invested money put into research and startup of production as quickly as possible.
3. Sales and rebates gives you extra publicity and marketing later.
4. More price-sensitive consumers are more inclined to jump on special offers than on standard pricing, even at the same price! It's a psychological truth.
12-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #724
Pentaxian

Bundles with K-5 IIs (1,298 USD) and K-3 (1,498 USD) appeared today on eBay.

12-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #725
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Yes, for multiple reasons.
1. The consumers most eager to buy a lens will pay an extra premium to get it quick. This includes all the preorders.
2. As a producer you want to recoup the invested money put into research and startup of production as quickly as possible.
3. Sales and rebates gives you extra publicity and marketing later.
4. More price-sensitive consumers are more inclined to jump on special offers than on standard pricing, even at the same price! It's a psychological truth.
While this is common for technology products, it not the case for all products. Most products that don't evolve fast get just a little bit more expensive each year to follow (or even exceed) inflation rate.

Even for lenses, many Pentax lenses price increased quite a lot, even old designs. A few years back, ltd lenses where much more affordable.
12-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #726
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Even for lenses, many Pentax lenses price increased quite a lot, even old designs. A few years back, ltd lenses where much more affordable.
This is true but due to Hoya and then Ricoh dramatically raising the prices almost over night. I don't think it had anything to do with 'introductions' just a realignment of pricing perhaps in part due to currency changes with the Yen.
12-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #727
Veteran Member

Are there any professional English reviews of this lens? If not, how soon can we expect them? Maybe pentaxforums had one for their review already?
12-05-2014, 07:18 AM   #728

Does this lens have aspherical elements? The Name suggests no but the construction plan says yes.

12-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #729
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
It'd better have some redeeming feature over the 18-135!
You got that right ! I want to see at least a marginal performance increase over the 18-135..........and reviews from real world users.......with a rating of at least 9.2 for the price it comes at. And......a REAL hood !
12-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #730

When I first heard of this new lens I thought it would be a nice upgrade from my DA 16-45 f4, assuming the IQ was similar or better. However, as the specs became available, I realized the 16-85 is a much bigger, heavier lens.

Back in the day, I made the mistake of buying a f2.8 zoom for my MX. It weighed more than the MX body and I got lots of remarks from family and friends that hinted they were a little intimidated by the large lens pointed at them. After a short while, the big boat-anchor of a lens got put on a shelf and forgotten. I promised myself that I would not make that mistake again.

The 16-85 won't be on my purchase list because of the size [72mm filter], weight increase over the 16-45 [122g more than the 16-45] , and the variable aperture. I am sure it has enough features [zoom range, WR, possible improved IQ] to appeal to many but not to those of us who prefer smaller weight and size.
12-05-2014, 09:16 AM   #731
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
You got that right ! I want to see at least a marginal performance increase over the 18-135..........and reviews from real world users.......with a rating of at least 9.2 for the price it comes at. And......a REAL hood !
I don't know what you mean. All Pentax zooms come with hoods. If you're saying that the 18-135 doesn't come with a real hood, then could you explain what that means?
12-05-2014, 09:28 AM   #732
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I don't know what you mean. All Pentax zooms come with hoods. If you're saying that the 18-135 doesn't come with a real hood, then could you explain what that means?
Maybe that the hood was badly designed and didn't really serve the purpose well?
12-05-2014, 09:41 AM   #733
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
All Pentax zooms come with hoods.
But (AFAIK) none of them have a hood that is really effective at the long end of the zoom.

Canon has shown that it can be done:

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 USM L - Full Format Review / Test Report

"The lens has a reverse zooming mechanism so it extends towards the wide end of the range
so the shortest physical length reached at the 70mm setting.
While this may seem odd at first the system makes sense
when attaching the deep flower-shaped hood which remains highly effective at all focal lengths."
12-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #734
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
While this is common for technology products, it not the case for all products. Most products that don't evolve fast get just a little bit more expensive each year to follow (or even exceed) inflation rate.

The 2008-9 fiscal crisis caused a LOT of price drops as credit woes forced liquidity through inventory dumps. Prices plummeted and, in some ways, really spurred the take-up of DSLRs worldwide. The $US sank quickly exacerbating the discrepancies.

Now we are seeing the opposite. The Yen is fling like a rock so I expect Japanese export prices to follow. It will take time, but I foresee lower prices sooner at the starting MSRP.

---------- Post added 12-05-14 at 12:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bencason Quote
When I first heard of this new lens I thought it would be a nice upgrade from my DA 16-45 f4, assuming the IQ was similar or better. However, as the specs became available, I realized the 16-85 is a much bigger, heavier lens.

Back in the day, I made the mistake of buying a f2.8 zoom for my MX. It weighed more than the MX body and I got lots of remarks from family and friends that hinted they were a little intimidated by the large lens pointed at them. After a short while, the big boat-anchor of a lens got put on a shelf and forgotten. I promised myself that I would not make that mistake again.

The 16-85 won't be on my purchase list because of the size [72mm filter], weight increase over the 16-45 [122g more than the 16-45] , and the variable aperture. I am sure it has enough features [zoom range, WR, possible improved IQ] to appeal to many but not to those of us who prefer smaller weight and size.
The 18-135 is quite small, so when comparing these 2 lenses + the 16-50/2.8 there is a lot of choice. I enjoy the 18-135 and the DA 15 for the rarer times i really need a WA.
12-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #735
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
But (AFAIK) none of them have a hood that is really effective at the long end of the zoom.

Canon has shown that it can be done:

"The lens has a reverse zooming mechanism so it extends towards the wide end of the range so the shortest physical length reached at the 70mm setting."
The 18-55 kit is somewhat similar though, when zooming out from 18 mm it gets shorter for some time and reaches its shortest physical length at 35 mm, then it gets longer again.