Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #721
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,624
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
We're seeing this with most of the newly launched products, surely there must be more than "some" truth?
Those Canon and Nikon lenses had gone through the same process; yet we're asking Pentax to jump directly to "10-years old" street prices?
That being said, the DA 20-40 was on sale about 3 months after it was released (same with the HD 55-300), and a year later it's almost $300 off. If I were a betting man, I'd say that in 6 months Pentax will have the 16-85 in the $600 range.

12-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #722
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 340
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
We're seeing this with most of the newly launched products, surely there must be more than "some" truth? I agree that "new technology" is a much better excuse than just product age.
Those Canon and Nikon lenses had gone through the same process; yet we're asking Pentax to jump directly to "10-years old" street prices?
I agree as much as I want Pentax to release a 100-400L equivalent at $1500, I know the new Pentax long zoom lens if its DA* quality will be closer to 2k than 1k. The new 100-400L Mk. 2 shows how much inflation, modern optics, and supplier costs have raised the cost of lenses across the board.
12-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #723
Pentaxian
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,439
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Newly released products are more expensive than those who've been on the market for some time, that's how the whole economy works, across almost all markets.
Yes, for multiple reasons.
1. The consumers most eager to buy a lens will pay an extra premium to get it quick. This includes all the preorders.
2. As a producer you want to recoup the invested money put into research and startup of production as quickly as possible.
3. Sales and rebates gives you extra publicity and marketing later.
4. More price-sensitive consumers are more inclined to jump on special offers than on standard pricing, even at the same price! It's a psychological truth.
12-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #724
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,781
Bundles with K-5 IIs (1,298 USD) and K-3 (1,498 USD) appeared today on eBay.

12-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #725
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,549
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Yes, for multiple reasons.
1. The consumers most eager to buy a lens will pay an extra premium to get it quick. This includes all the preorders.
2. As a producer you want to recoup the invested money put into research and startup of production as quickly as possible.
3. Sales and rebates gives you extra publicity and marketing later.
4. More price-sensitive consumers are more inclined to jump on special offers than on standard pricing, even at the same price! It's a psychological truth.
While this is common for technology products, it not the case for all products. Most products that don't evolve fast get just a little bit more expensive each year to follow (or even exceed) inflation rate.

Even for lenses, many Pentax lenses price increased quite a lot, even old designs. A few years back, ltd lenses where much more affordable.
12-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #726
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,288
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Even for lenses, many Pentax lenses price increased quite a lot, even old designs. A few years back, ltd lenses where much more affordable.
This is true but due to Hoya and then Ricoh dramatically raising the prices almost over night. I don't think it had anything to do with 'introductions' just a realignment of pricing perhaps in part due to currency changes with the Yen.
12-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #727
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 404
Are there any professional English reviews of this lens? If not, how soon can we expect them? Maybe pentaxforums had one for their review already?
12-05-2014, 07:18 AM   #728
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 14
Does this lens have aspherical elements? The Name suggests no but the construction plan says yes.

12-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #729
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,457
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
It'd better have some redeeming feature over the 18-135!
You got that right ! I want to see at least a marginal performance increase over the 18-135..........and reviews from real world users.......with a rating of at least 9.2 for the price it comes at. And......a REAL hood !
12-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #730
Junior Member
bencason's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 30
When I first heard of this new lens I thought it would be a nice upgrade from my DA 16-45 f4, assuming the IQ was similar or better. However, as the specs became available, I realized the 16-85 is a much bigger, heavier lens.

Back in the day, I made the mistake of buying a f2.8 zoom for my MX. It weighed more than the MX body and I got lots of remarks from family and friends that hinted they were a little intimidated by the large lens pointed at them. After a short while, the big boat-anchor of a lens got put on a shelf and forgotten. I promised myself that I would not make that mistake again.

The 16-85 won't be on my purchase list because of the size [72mm filter], weight increase over the 16-45 [122g more than the 16-45] , and the variable aperture. I am sure it has enough features [zoom range, WR, possible improved IQ] to appeal to many but not to those of us who prefer smaller weight and size.
12-05-2014, 09:16 AM   #731
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,631
QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
You got that right ! I want to see at least a marginal performance increase over the 18-135..........and reviews from real world users.......with a rating of at least 9.2 for the price it comes at. And......a REAL hood !
I don't know what you mean. All Pentax zooms come with hoods. If you're saying that the 18-135 doesn't come with a real hood, then could you explain what that means?
12-05-2014, 09:28 AM   #732
Pentaxian
FantasticMrFox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Scotland
Posts: 2,097
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I don't know what you mean. All Pentax zooms come with hoods. If you're saying that the 18-135 doesn't come with a real hood, then could you explain what that means?
Maybe that the hood was badly designed and didn't really serve the purpose well?
12-05-2014, 09:41 AM   #733
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,615
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
All Pentax zooms come with hoods.
But (AFAIK) none of them have a hood that is really effective at the long end of the zoom.

Canon has shown that it can be done:

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 USM L - Full Format Review / Test Report

"The lens has a reverse zooming mechanism so it extends towards the wide end of the range
so the shortest physical length reached at the 70mm setting.
While this may seem odd at first the system makes sense
when attaching the deep flower-shaped hood which remains highly effective at all focal lengths."
12-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #734
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,790
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
While this is common for technology products, it not the case for all products. Most products that don't evolve fast get just a little bit more expensive each year to follow (or even exceed) inflation rate.

Even for lenses, many Pentax lenses price increased quite a lot, even old designs. A few years back, ltd lenses where much more affordable.
The 2008-9 fiscal crisis caused a LOT of price drops as credit woes forced liquidity through inventory dumps. Prices plummeted and, in some ways, really spurred the take-up of DSLRs worldwide. The $US sank quickly exacerbating the discrepancies.

Now we are seeing the opposite. The Yen is fling like a rock so I expect Japanese export prices to follow. It will take time, but I foresee lower prices sooner at the starting MSRP.

---------- Post added 12-05-14 at 12:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bencason Quote
When I first heard of this new lens I thought it would be a nice upgrade from my DA 16-45 f4, assuming the IQ was similar or better. However, as the specs became available, I realized the 16-85 is a much bigger, heavier lens.

Back in the day, I made the mistake of buying a f2.8 zoom for my MX. It weighed more than the MX body and I got lots of remarks from family and friends that hinted they were a little intimidated by the large lens pointed at them. After a short while, the big boat-anchor of a lens got put on a shelf and forgotten. I promised myself that I would not make that mistake again.

The 16-85 won't be on my purchase list because of the size [72mm filter], weight increase over the 16-45 [122g more than the 16-45] , and the variable aperture. I am sure it has enough features [zoom range, WR, possible improved IQ] to appeal to many but not to those of us who prefer smaller weight and size.
The 18-135 is quite small, so when comparing these 2 lenses + the 16-50/2.8 there is a lot of choice. I enjoy the 18-135 and the DA 15 for the rarer times i really need a WA.
12-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #735
Pentaxian
FantasticMrFox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Scotland
Posts: 2,097
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
But (AFAIK) none of them have a hood that is really effective at the long end of the zoom.

Canon has shown that it can be done:

"The lens has a reverse zooming mechanism so it extends towards the wide end of the range so the shortest physical length reached at the 70mm setting."
The 18-55 kit is somewhat similar though, when zooming out from 18 mm it gets shorter for some time and reaches its shortest physical length at 35 mm, then it gets longer again.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
16-85mm f3.5-5.6ed dc, a.k.a, aps-c, button, camera, competition, dc, drive, ff, focus, glass, hd, hd pentax-da 16-85mm, image, length, lens, lenses, mount, pentax news, pentax rumors, pentax-da, release, sigma, sr, tamron, tele, w/a, wr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR sholtzma Sold Items 2 02-05-2014 01:11 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR - reduced price tjwaung Sold Items 8 12-21-2013 05:56 AM
new smc PENTAX-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] WR DC KeesdH Pentax News and Rumors 227 06-22-2011 03:57 AM
PENTAX-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] WR D Fl_Gulfer Pentax News and Rumors 20 11-26-2010 05:13 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:59 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top